DKC returns

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beats the hell out of Lady Gaga costume DLC or whatever the hell other non-tangible swag is being thrown in with other games nowadays.

Beats the hell out of Lady Gaga costume DLC or whatever the hell other non-tangible swag is being thrown in with other games nowadays.

Love me some Lady Gaga costumes. But I mean we cannot compares because Wii games don't have DLC. Do they even have special editions? I know Epic Mickey is getting one. But no big Nintendo releases get them do they?

I would have preferred a soundtrack or something, since DKC's have always had awesome music.

Love me some Lady Gaga costumes. But I mean we cannot compares because Wii games don't have DLC. Do they even have special editions? I know Epic Mickey is getting one. But no big Nintendo releases get them do they?

I would have preferred a soundtrack or something, since DKC's have always had awesome music.

A soundtrack would've been awesome. I don't think Nintendo, itself, has done a collectors edition on the Wii. Metroid Prime Trilogy came in a tin, does that count? I'm not sure it came in a regular edition though... so maybe not. :dunno

A soundtrack would've been awesome. I don't think Nintendo, itself, has done a collectors edition on the Wii. Metroid Prime Trilogy came in a tin, does that count? I'm not sure it came in a regular edition though... so maybe not. :dunno

That was the only edition though. They should do SE though...Mario Galaxy and Other: M were crying for them...as well as up coming Skyward Sword.

A soundtrack, or vinyl figure of Dk or Diddy woulda been cool...maybe a wii skin as well. Or a yellow wiimote ala the days of N64 and gamecubes when special editions shipped with different colored controllers.

This Sunday!!! It's been getting stellar reviews.

I like this quote from the Game Informer review:

"DK and Mario have both received 2D returns to form. New Super Mario Bros. Wii was fantastic, but Donkey Kong Country Returns manages to push the simian above his plumber rival in virtually every category."

F'N Christmas gets in the way of my spending every year. This will be a spring pick-up for me. :monkey2

Awesome game! Fluid gameplay, great design, crisp controls. Gotta love the games that developed our hand and eye coordination! The games that really require your skill in timing and patience and jumping etc. Classic gaming here! And some really inventive twists along the way, as it's not always just 2D, but does change perspective and angles along the way.

Playing this over Gran Turismo 5 right now.

:yess:

Beat it last night, now going back and hunting down bonus stuff. This is the best platformer I've played in years, maybe since the first DKC. I can't praise it highly enough. It's actually the first platformer I've finished in recent memory, because the genre started to bore me.

But this is a ____ing work of art.

I only really had trouble on worlds 7 and 8. The rest of the worlds weren't bad because the game flipped some long-lost switch in my brain and my DKC instincts came out of hibernation and served me well. Timing is the hardest part, especially on the Rocket Barrel and Mine Cart levels.

I only really had trouble on worlds 7 and 8. The rest of the worlds weren't bad because the game flipped some long-lost switch in my brain and my DKC instincts came out of hibernation and served me well. Timing is the hardest part, especially on the Rocket Barrel and Mine Cart levels.

I like the game thus far, it just lacks that charm the first 2 DKC games had. It feels like retro played it too close to the chest and was afraid to do anything different, I feel like I played these levels years ago. There are some nice hidden gems of levels here and there, but for the most part the formula is way too familiar. They can't even come up with new original music it's all rehashed from the first game.

The difficultly also ramps up out of nowhere on some levels...very frustrating, one level I lost about 30 balloons before beating it.

See I think it's got the most charm since the first DKC. It just hits all the right buttons for me. I knew they weren't going to revamp the series from the first video I saw...it's a love letter to the original and to the fans of the original. That's what I want with a DKC game, and that's what I got with this one. The things they did change I find brilliant...the plane changes, morphing environments, etc.

The only thing I really miss are underwater levels and a snow environment, but there's always sequels.

See I think it's got the most charm since the first DKC. It just hits all the right buttons for me. I knew they weren't going to revamp the series from the first video I saw...it's a love letter to the original and to the fans of the original. That's what I want with a DKC game, and that's what I got with this one. The things they did change I find brilliant...the plane changes, morphing environments, etc.

The only thing I really miss are underwater levels and a snow environment, but there's always sequels.

It's missing something. As a man who holds the first and second in such high regard I think this one falls a bit short. I miss the animated DK and Diddy icons on the world map instead we get a generic medallion with their faces, like you said the snow and water levels were staples in the original. And the world map is a bit generic too.

I guess it's missing that grit and darkness the originals had, everything is a bit too bright and toony.

That's interesting that you thought the originals had a grit and darkness...I never saw that in them, I thought they were just as bright and goofy as this one. Different strokes and all.

I dunno, DKC is one of those series where I'm happy with things staying the same, because the original is one of my favorite things ever. DKC and Zelda are two series where I'd just be happy with the same thing over and over. I'm kind of glad Retro didn't go crazy with reinventing it, because I think DKC was almost perfect in the first place.

My fear would be if they did think they had to reinvent it, it would end up like what Team Ninja did to Metroid, which was a travesty and one of the biggest disappointments in gaming for me.

That's interesting that you thought the originals had a grit and darkness...I never saw that in them, I thought they were just as bright and goofy as this one. Different strokes and all.

I dunno, DKC is one of those series where I'm happy with things staying the same, because the original is one of my favorite things ever. DKC and Zelda are two series where I'd just be happy with the same thing over and over. I'm kind of glad Retro didn't go crazy with reinventing it, because I think DKC was almost perfect in the first place.

My fear would be if they did think they had to reinvent it, it would end up like what Team Ninja did to Metroid, which was a travesty and one of the biggest disappointments in gaming for me.

Well I liked the new Metroid but I didn't at the same time. My favorite levels in this one are the ones that are new and fresh and introduce new gameplay mechanics. I also miss that each world doesn't have it's own theme like in DKC2. It feels like they went backwards. Go back and look and play the originals there this sort of realistic grit and darkness in most of the levels that DKCR feels too clean and toony.

Back