did your hot toys' batteries leak?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

did your hot toys batteries leak?

• yes.

Votes: 41 24.0%
  • no.

Votes: 97 56.7%
  • don't know, still factory sealed.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • don't have any hot toys figures with batteries.

Votes: 12 7.0%

• Total voters
After keeping the batteries and plastic tabs in all 9 of my iron men and war machine I decided it would be best to remove them. Marks 1 through 6 all had some corrosion on them despite keeping the plastic tabs in, and so did my gunmetal mark 3. It was not a lot but noticeable The war machine was fine except the batteries in the back of the head were crazy hard to remove, and even in the included instructions it says to never remove the batteries. The mark 7 was no problem, seeing as it was the last one I bought I would hope so. For anyone ho still has not remove their batteries I say do so asap!

Can we start making a guide as to which screws to remove etc ? Would help people imo. I will start documenting as I work through my collection. I figure one a day should keep it from becoming a chore.

A big thing, once you remove the batteries, is not to dump them all in a bag together. If they are in contact they are forming a circuit, they can get hot and can eventually pop or leak much faster. If nothing else they'll all be dead next time you try them. Best thing is to take scotch or packing tape, lay a piece flat and place the batteries on them, then put another layer on top. This keeps them separated and also nice and organized.

Bmq3tYB.jpg

That's the one other nice improvement with War Machine 2, the batteries are not installed and come in a nice tray already. Of course this adds a step because now you have to install them all if you want to check that the figure works properly, but I definitely prefer it for storing.

QK6kfKG.jpg

So are leaking batteries less common with name brands? A little trick I use to prevent stripping a screw is to place a small rubber band between the screwdriver and screw.

Pulled all the batteries out of my Mark IV Secret Project and Mark VI last night, no sign of corrosion, but by time I get these things in a glass case, they probably will. Time to go through the other 47291927 Iron Man armors I own and do the same.

A big thing, once you remove the batteries, is not to dump them all in a bag together. If they are in contact they are forming a circuit, they can get hot and can eventually pop or leak much faster. If nothing else they'll all be dead next time you try them. Best thing is to take scotch or packing tape, lay a piece flat and place the batteries on them, then put another layer on top. This keeps them separated and also nice and organized.

Bmq3tYB.jpg

That's the one other nice improvement with War Machine 2, the batteries are not installed and come in a nice tray already. Of course this adds a step because now you have to install them all if you want to check that the figure works properly, but I definitely prefer it for storing.

QK6kfKG.jpg

Good reminder. I forgot about that. Yep they come uninstalled. 1 less to go through lol . Thanks

What is inside these batteries ? Mine that were from midas and mark vii bd were together and some of them popped and i didnt notice it , and when i took them out on the table a lot of black small dots fell over the floor , i tried to take them away , but i suppose maybe i have left smth , are they dangerous to human or animals ?

...The war machine was fine except the batteries in the back of the head were crazy hard to remove...
Yeah, I don't get why Hot Toys made them so difficult to access. My stuff's in storage, too, but because of this thread, last summer I decided to remove all the batteries from stuff still in the box and man, the amount of trouble for War Machine's neck is ridiculous. I remember I repacked it and stored the neck battery piece and screw separately. Just couldn't be bothered to put it back on.

I hear you guys about the head battery compartment. :lol

Regarding the batteries in general, the first thing I do with ANY new figures with batteries is REMOVE THEM asap, test the feature - then chuck'em.

You can always buy new ones, but hanging onto the provided ones is pointless most of the time, unless you're interested in using the feature more than once then & there.

That's great how the new WM has the little separate tray now.

Hello guys!

Forgive me for asking this here ... but do you guys have any more detailed tutorials on how to clean the Hot Toys battery leak?

It happened with my Batman TDKR 1/4, both with the head and the EMP ... Yes, I'm screwed!

By the way, HT batteries are acidic or alkaline? Sorry for my bad English!

The rule of thumb is to never leave batteries in the figures. Don't leave batteries in any electronics in general. The nature of batteries are they leak regardless of who manufactured them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hello guys!

Forgive me for asking this here ... but do you guys have any more detailed tutorials on how to clean the Hot Toys battery leak?

It happened with my Batman TDKR 1/4, both with the head and the EMP ... Yes, I'm screwed!

By the way, HT batteries are acidic or alkaline? Sorry for my bad English!

You'll need baking soda, get a small dish or plate and mix some baking soda and water to a kind of paste. Use a toothpick or q-tip to dab the paste on the corrosion where the batteries leaked. It takes some time, but the baking soda will dissolve the corrosion and you can wipe it/pick it away with your toothpicks and q-tips. It will probably leave some damage to the plastic or metal where it touched, but you can remove the gunk on top.

soooo, if I had a nice bargain for MISB mk 7, I better pass, since the risk g=for battery leaking is too high ?

soooo, if I had a nice bargain for MISB mk 7, I better pass, since the risk g=for battery leaking is too high ?

If it’s mint in the box you should be fine. The batteries are not in the figure. Pretty slim chance there are any issues.

Back