did your hot toys' batteries leak?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

did your hot toys batteries leak?

• yes.

Votes: 41 24.0%
  • no.

Votes: 97 56.7%
  • don't know, still factory sealed.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • don't have any hot toys figures with batteries.

Votes: 12 7.0%

• Total voters
Removed all the batteries from my IM figures. Felt like a huge chore, can't believe it took me so long for 4 suits. Unfortunately the previous owner of my War Machine scratched the screw on his left arm so badly all of the profiling is gone. No grip left for the screwdriver means I can't get that one off, light work fine so hopefully it won't leak.

Got three other suits coming with removed batteries already, only leaves the Mark VII I will get soon. I feel my shelf is now less volatile (although this thread made me nervous in the first place).

Try using a flat head screwdriver. Sometimes a flat head of the right size will grab enough that it'll come out. I've done it multiple times on other things lol.

Removed all the batteries out of my MK VII. Batteries look fine but didn't realise there were so many in the figure.

Going to go buy some news ones and use them in the figure.

Checked all my opened figs for leaking batteries, officer kane and mark vi showed signs that it was starting to leak. Just to be safe, if your fig was produced 2+ years ago, it's a good idea to check the batteries for leakage.

I haven't opened my Mark 7... please don't tell me the batteries are already in the figure.

I take out all my batteries. If I'm buying an older figure, I try to ask if the batteries have been removed. I take a piece of tape and placed each battery on it so it looks like those old school button candy strips, you just don't want to each this one :lol

I saw listing on EB today of a seller selling 3 Iron man Suits. I started looking at his pics and noticed the Mark III had damage on both arms from battery leakage.

I take out all my batteries. If I'm buying an older figure, I try to ask if the batteries have been removed. I take a piece of tape and placed each battery on it so it looks like those old school button candy strips, you just don't want to each this one :lol

I saw listing on EB today of a seller selling 3 Iron man Suits. I started looking at his pics and noticed the Mark III had damage on both arms from battery leakage.

Wow! I must really try harder in getting some of the battery compartments opened! Most of them unscrew just fine but a few are extremely tight (by the manufacturer HT) that I'm even having problems while using precision tools. :horror

I'm almost done with all of mine. Only saw slight signs in a few older figures. As others have mentioned, they will all eventually leak. Just a matter of time.

I had to remove batteries from:
Iron man figs (Marks I-VII including special project & mark II v2 and mech test Tony Start both versions and war monger)
Predator figs
Terminator figs
DX 02 Batman sonar head
DX 12 sonic gun
Ghost Rider fig
Bespin Luke figure base
Avengers Nick Fury Tesserac case
SSCs IG 88
SSCs EP I Obi arm
Bandai perfect model C3PO

That's all I remember right now. What a massive task!

Well, atleast the seller is honest enough to post those pics of the back. :dunno
I have a Mark IV with mangled compartments (no leakages, just manhandled), but I got it for dirt cheap and from the front you don't notice. This would plummet the resale value though, wondering how much these three will go for.

My Hot Toys Iron Man batteries not only leaked, they literally exploded, making a loud popping noise in my room similar to the small "pop rocks" fireworks you can purchase for the 4th of July. Luckily I took them out of the figures beforehand, and had them double bagged.

Anyone know if energizer or other brand name batteries last longer and doesn't leak or explode? Or is it inevitable for all batteries?

I don't have any proof but I'm sure HT is using the cheapest of the cheap batteries (many times they arrive dead and it's pretty common to hear that the lights dim after only a few minutes of use -- would be interesting to see if better quality batteries are able to maintain the light over a longer period), so I would expect more QC issues with them over something name brand and higher quality. A poster at Rebelscum was mentioning that they only use batteries meant for high-end watches and electronics (forgot the name, but will try and find it) and that they've been flawless over the years. Probably once I really get everything on display I would do the same.

Sorry if this is covered already but what are the battery type used for recent IM figures? (I have mk7 and the mechanic) Would check myself but I'm away for holiday atm

Not a leak issue but rather I'm trying to avoid it. I'm trying to remove the screw out of the light up head sculpt for the DX13 but the screw is a bastard to get out. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove them? I've tried a small headed Phillips screwdriver but it doesn't seem to budge at all.

Anyone know if energizer or other brand name batteries last longer and doesn't leak or explode? Or is it inevitable for all batteries?

It's a chemical reaction. They may last longer due to better construction, but eventually all alkaline batteries will leak.

This issue is a dilemma. Keep them in and risk leakage over time , try to take them out and wrongfully strip a screw ( with my luck this is most probably going to happen to me as it happened with some guys over here ) and permanently seal the fate. I too like Lee mentioned above have a "list"

8 Predators with a couple more enroute
8 Iron Man Suits with more enroute
Tamashii C3PO
BD T800

And god knows what else. I'm seriously unsure on what to do...

This issue is a dilemma. Keep them in and risk leakage over time , try to take them out and wrongfully strip a screw ( with my luck this is most probably going to happen to me as it happened with some guys over here ) and permanently seal the fate. I too like Lee mentioned above have a "list"

8 Predators with a couple more enroute
8 Iron Man Suits with more enroute
Tamashii C3PO
BD T800

And god knows what else. I'm seriously unsure on what to do...

Remove them. You MIGHT strip a screw, but batteries WILL pop, and WILL ruin your figure/s.

Back