did your hot toys' batteries leak?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

did your hot toys batteries leak?

• yes.

Votes: 41 24.0%
  • no.

Votes: 97 56.7%
  • don't know, still factory sealed.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • don't have any hot toys figures with batteries.

Votes: 12 7.0%

• Total voters
I have had no issues with mine and like to turn on the light features from time to time when admiring my IM figures. I have also always left the stock batteries in my transformers and never had a problem. In fact a friend of mine still has the original optimus prime with the original batteries in it from 1984. Amazingly the batteries still work and no leakage there!!!!

I think the biggest factor is the conditions the batteries went through to get to you (like shipping in the heat of summer) and where the figures they are in are being displayed. I would say there is the occasional defective battery but I would think this accounts for less than 10% of battery leakage issues.

None yet on any of my Iron Man's. I have the feeling that the moment I go to remove these things they will explode on sight :lol

The only problem I have ever had was with Ghost Rider. I picked him up at SDCC this year with Hellcycle and he obviously has spent a little time on the shelf (still sealed in box).

His head didn't light up (they don't include batteries for the cycle) and when I opened him up found that none of the batteries had actually corroded but the little ring around the top cap was starting to get a faint green color to it. It took me forever to find a reasonable price locally (Los Angeles) for these batteries, Target wanted $6 each and he needs three, finally found a set of 3 for just under $9.

I wish that all of the figures used the same batteries. Every single one has different sizes (I have War Machine Milk vsn, Green Goblin, Luke DX, and Ghost Rider from HT and then IG88 and Padawan Obi-Wan from Sideshow only one of all these use the same size batteries as Ghost Rider (War Machine for the head only).

I do like to turn on all my light ups every couple of weeks so I don't want to have to remove them but it is a good idea to check on them every now and again I guess.

Those factory sealed boxes, eventually, your batteries WILL leak, and ruin the figure. You sell me that on eBay, hello complaint ticket.

most of us collectors in hong kong removes the battery of ironman as soon as we get our hands on them, because of the humidity and the bad treck record for leaking and molding.
It's better if you get japanese button batteries as it tends to keep longer.

Those factory sealed boxes, eventually, your batteries WILL leak, and ruin the figure. You sell me that on eBay, hello complaint ticket.

you know about the possibility of battery leakage, so why on earth would you buy a factory sealed one? that's the problem today..people don't take responsibility for their own actions.

i would have to put this in my auction for buyers like you.

PLEASE READ BEFORE PURCHASE......
Seller is not responsible for factory or production imperfections. All items are new, never displayed, factory sealed and have been stored in climate-controlled storage, out of cold, heat, humidity and sunlight.

Some collectors have reported battery leakage. Since this item is factory sealed, there's no way to tell if a problem exists. All items are sold as is. No Returns or Refunds Issued. Buyer Agrees to These Terms.

a little baking soda and water applied with a q-tip will clean up the battery leakage and a bit of Vaseline will condition the plastic and metal conductors to prevent oxidation. take some responsibility!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for bringing this up.
I only have the one with batteries and thats kane from alien.
Got it with batteries alteady in all works no leaks as far as I know, but will check it now as it is stored away.
Fingers crossed.

That was a BIG mistake.

You're effectively causing them to all power each other. I had this as well. After 4 - 6 days I starting hearing cracks and pop/exploding sounds. Because the batteries are all in contact with each other, they're effectively over powering themselves. Lots of popped lids. I stored the rest in a plastic container all separated. No more damage.

That explains it. I didn't want them anyway, but I was astounded how quickly they popped. :lol

Haven't had leaks so far. Even 2nd hand as I ask if they had removed batteries. Luckily the sealed mech test I received today had no problems.

I remove all batteries after I photograph them with the lights on.

never had it happen....not on hot toys anyways, i have had it happen with these type of batteries in other devices.

Ive had batteries leak on new figures. I spent about an hour last night removing batteries from various figures, and im still not done. Its best to check the lights, then remove batteries.

I only have batteries in my mark VII, which I haven't taken out yet, but only because I can't find my screwdriver small enough for the doors. Hopefully they are fine. I've heard of some batteries being leaked right out of brand new stuff right after release. Lights all work tho so I should be ok.

still a fair amount of people have had leaks. you have to wonder why they don't include the batteries OUT of the figure as mentioned earlier.

:slap:slap:slap:slap:slap

still a fair amount of people have had leaks. you have to wonder why they don't include the batteries OUT of the figure as mentioned earlier.

:slap:slap:slap:slap:slap

That is what SSC did with IG88... Huge freaking calculator batteries too.

Part of me agrees with this but part of me loves opening the box, yanking out that little plastic strip, and lighting it up right from the get go.

I've said it before (to myself) and i'll say it again to you guys now, i think a great idea would be that the figures should be wired from the desired light location (eye's, hands,etc...) to run the wires throughout the body of the figure all the way down to the feet where a metal contact point is exposed and upon placing said figure on a AC powered Stand the figure will light up with a flip of a switch on the stand, thus eliminating batteries altogether and letting us enjoy the light features more with a flip of one switch.

What do you think?

Back