did your hot toys' batteries leak?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

did your hot toys batteries leak?

• yes.

Votes: 41 24.0%
  • no.

Votes: 97 56.7%
  • don't know, still factory sealed.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • don't have any hot toys figures with batteries.

Votes: 12 7.0%

• Total voters
I've said it before (to myself) and i'll say it again to you guys now, i think a great idea would be that the figures should be wired from the desired light location (eye's, hands,etc...) to run the wires throughout the body of the figure all the way down to the feet where a metal contact point is exposed and upon placing said figure on a AC powered Stand the figure will light up with a flip of a switch on the stand, thus eliminating batteries altogether and letting us enjoy the light features more with a flip of one switch.

What do you think?

I think that is a cool idea that would make our already expensive toys much more expensive.

I've said it before (to myself) and i'll say it again to you guys now, i think a great idea would be that the figures should be wired from the desired light location (eye's, hands,etc...) to run the wires throughout the body of the figure all the way down to the feet where a metal contact point is exposed and upon placing said figure on a AC powered Stand the figure will light up with a flip of a switch on the stand, thus eliminating batteries altogether and letting us enjoy the light features more with a flip of one switch.

What do you think?

Good idea but limits you to having the figure on the stand lit up.
Also limits where you put the figure as a power source might not be close or accessable.
Plus running wires through the body and various joints would limit movement and be more likely to fail.
Batteries are simple and effective and cheaper.

Last edited:
Some collectors have reported battery leakage. Since this item is factory sealed, there's no way to tell if a problem exists. All items are sold as is. No Returns or Refunds Issued. Buyer Agrees to These Terms.[/I]

Cute, probably won't stand up legally though.

a little baking soda and water applied with a q-tip will clean up the battery leakage and a bit of Vaseline will condition the plastic and metal conductors to prevent oxidation. take some responsibility!!!
You as the seller can take the repsonsibility for not selling a damaged item.

I have had one case of leakage and that was from a second hand Iron Man figure. That, coupled with a few battery explosions, makes me remove the batteries from all my figures the moment I confirm that their functions work. I'm kinda surprised, since I have a number of button cell powered toys that do not seem to have that problem. I am inclined to believe that HT just chooses lousy batteries.

Cute, probably won't stand up legally though.

You as the seller can take the repsonsibility for not selling a damaged item.

do you sell on ebay? the description clearly defines the condition of the item, the information that some have reported battery leakage and all items are sold as is.

the buyer either agrees to the terms clearly defined, or they shouldn't buy my items. if there is a dispute, ebay WILL look at the terms to make their decision on a claim.

call it 'cute' or whatever you want, it's 'legal'. :thwak

anyone knows how the to restore the lighting for iron man figure?o

battery leaked on my mark 3 and now its not lit anymore

anyone knows how the to restore the lighting for iron man figure?o

battery leaked on my mark 3 and now its not lit anymore

remove batteries, clean with q-tip and a small amount of baking soda in water. after battery acid is cleaned, dress the connectors and plastic with a very small amount of Vaseline to prevent oxidation.

I had a couple leaking, took them out with no damage to the figure.

The plastic tab won't stop them leaking over time. Mint in Box figures will be interesting in years to come.

I tried removing the screws to the battery compartment on my Avengers MKVI. The screws are in so tight, I couldn't get them to budge with any of my precision tools. Any suggestions on how to remove them?

So far, no visible evidence of any leakage and all of the lights still work fine.

They do them up too tight. Even with precision screwdrivers you're in for a battle if they're too tight. Good luck not stripping the screws.

You'll only see them leaking if you take the covers off, if it's visible with the covers on it's bad news.

I tried removing the screws to the battery compartment on my Avengers MKVI. The screws are in so tight, I couldn't get them to budge with any of my precision tools. Any suggestions on how to remove them?

So far, no visible evidence of any leakage and all of the lights still work fine.

Use a bigger screwdriver with a fine point.
Gives you more torque.
Or use pliers round your smaller driver for same effect.
Either ways risky so be carefull.

Removed batteries from all Hot Toys Figures, about a third of mind have burst when storing. Would be advisable to ditch the batteries supplied bu hot toys and buy a reliable brand, I still would not keep them inside the figure mind.

My batteries leaked in my IM2 War Machine. I have since removed all the batteries, except my IM mark III chest compartment screw stripped and I cannot remove it now. Be very careful with these screws. I have since used a better a screwdriver.

Does selling "mint-in-sealed-box" really afford the seller that much of a premium over 'opened for inspection (and to remove batteries) but never displayed'? Personally, I wouldn't buy older sealed HT stuff. I'd be scared off by your as-is disclaimer, as well, Darkmatter.

Does selling "mint-in-sealed-box" really afford the seller that much of a premium over 'opened for inspection (and to remove batteries) but never displayed'? Personally, I wouldn't buy older sealed HT stuff. I'd be scared off by your as-is disclaimer, as well, Darkmatter.

Depends if you trust the 'opened for inspection' as legitimate from the seller.

They do them up too tight. Even with precision screwdrivers you're in for a battle if they're too tight. Good luck not stripping the screws.

You'll only see them leaking if you take the covers off, if it's visible with the covers on it's bad news.

Stripping them is my biggest concern. So far, no leakage that I'm aware of.... Yet.

Use a bigger screwdriver with a fine point.
Gives you more torque.
Or use pliers round your smaller driver for same effect.
Either ways risky so be carefull.

Thank you. I'll give that a try.

first rule i ever learned from collectibles is sealed in original packaging retains it's value and opened does not. some don't mind them being opened such as your self. some prefer them factory sealed.

i started the thread to determine how large a percentage of people had problems and it's about 25%. i own the entire marks I-VII and the rest of the IM variants so i wanted the collection to be pristine and sealed. it's a crap shoot.

Just took the batteries out of my mark VII, which has been displayed with the plastic tabs in for the last month or two. No leakage. Almost stripped one screw but managed to get it out... And noticed that one screw was missing entirely lol... Email to sideshow coming up.

However, I did check my baggy of other batteries from transformers I have taken out, which has been there for a good while now, and tho I have checked them several times, of course right after reading this thread is when I open the baggy to find they are almost all exploded. Burned my damn finger through the plastic.

I stored all my iron man batteires by wrapping the ones that go together in cling wrap (like three times around each battery before adding the next one, then putting each of those in tissue paper and those in a bag. Thing the cling wrap will keep them from exploding?

Back