Detolf backdrops (images to go behind figures)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I am very new to this and will consider backdrops in the future. My advice is from a lot of experience printing photos for framing and display, not specific to detolfs.

(1) Find a local commercial printer (a photography printer not catalogue /print media or general office) - and have a chat with them - they are normallyarty types who happen to make a living from their photography hobby so happy to help someone new if you explain your project to them.

(2) Prepare the image that you want as best you can, ideally using paintshop or photoshop - but be aware that what you see on your printer is not what the print wil look like. Your screen isnt calibrated to the printer so you will have different colours etc and also, printers are backlit whereas a printer pic wil be frontlit.

(3) When you isntruct the printer be very clear what dimensions you want. They will print to those dimensions and should cut to that size also (or they will print with a border and you will need to cut it yourself)

(4) consider the paper you will need and discuss with the printer. I f you are pritning a gloss image it may look better, but could have too much reflection from your lighting and the glass walls.

In summary - when I get around to this I will measure up and pick some pictures that I like; I will process them in p'shop to get the desired effect and the correct size then will send them to a printer, explaining my project and get their advice on the best paper to use.

Back