Preserving the quality of 1/6 Hot Toys and Sideshow figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svnmelter

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a question regarding long lasting figure quality based on some posts that I have seen throughout Facebook groups

First of all, I haven't been into 1/6 scale for very long. Figure collecting started for me back on Force Friday 1 before The Force Awakens came out. I started with The Black Series 6" and within a year expanded onto S.H Figuarts. I sold my 6" collection a few months ago to fund my Hot Toys/Sideshow collection.

So fast forward to now. I keep seeing posts about long lasting quality being an issue with 1/6 scale figures because of discoloration or problems with the figure's clothing due to lighting/humidity/moisture/dust and I would really like to avoid this.

I don't live in the most conventional of a place, so with winter approaching and the fact that I live in Central Oregon I am somewhat concerned about temperature becoming an issue.

About my unconventional living situation. I'm a college student. My girlfriend and I ended up building a room inside of a friend of mine's workshop (essentially a very big detached garage) on his property. Long story short, the rental market sucks here and it's just temporary until we move. The room we built has wooden walls and tile floors within the workshop that is somewhat insulated. When I say "somewhat insulated" I mean that 3/4 walls in the shop are insulated.

Keep in mind, it sounds worse than it actually is. We souped this place up and it's awesome for what it is and a lot cheaper than renting a place out. The rental crisis is rough here.

It can snow pretty heavily in Central Oregon, but because it's technically a desert, it's very dry all the time and not known to be humid. I don't think that moisture getting into the place is an issue because there have been several heavy rains since we moved in and haven't had any problems.

During the winter I plan to use an oil heater as it can run 24/7 without becoming a fire hazard.

My figures are displayed in a glass detolf.

Should I be concerned about my figures during the winter and are there any safety precautions that I can take so that my figures retain their quality?

Can anyone tell me how I should be cleaning my figures, especially figures with clothing?

Can anyone recommend a set of weather strips for my IKEA detolf and suggest where to get them?

Last edited:
I don't think the cold has any effect on our dawls, but the heat does.

The room mine are in is 60-80 degrees winter-summer.

Hey guys. I have a question regarding long lasting figure quality based on some posts that I have seen throughout Facebook groups

First of all, I haven't been into 1/6 scale for very long. Figure collecting started for me back on Force Friday 1 before The Force Awakens came out. I started with The Black Series 6" and within a year expanded onto S.H Figuarts. I sold my 6" collection a few months ago to fund my Hot Toys/Sideshow collection.

So fast forward to now. I keep seeing posts about long lasting quality being an issue with 1/6 scale figures because of discoloration or problems with the figure's clothing due to lighting/humidity/moisture/dust and I would really like to avoid this.

I don't live in the most conventional of a place, so with winter approaching and the fact that I live in Central Oregon I am somewhat concerned about temperature becoming an issue.

About my unconventional living situation. I'm a college student and couldn't stand to live with my family after high school. My girlfriend and I ended up building a room inside of a friend of mine's workshop (essentially a very big detached garage) on his property. The room we built has wooden walls and tile floors within the workshop that is somewhat insulated. When I say "somewhat insulated" I mean that 3/4 walls in the shop are insulated.

It can snow pretty heavily in Central Oregon, but because it's technically a desert, it's very dry all the time and not known to be humid. I don't think that moisture getting into the place is an issue because there have been several heavy rains since we moved in and haven't had any problems.

During the winter I plan to use an oil heater as it can run 24/7 without becoming a fire hazard.

My figures are displayed in a glass detolf.

Should I be concerned about my figures during the winter and are there any safety precautions that I can take so that my figures retain their quality?

Can anyone tell me how I should be cleaning my figures, especially figures with clothing?

Can anyone recommend a set of weather strips for my IKEA detolf and suggest where to get them?

I wouldn't worry about preserving them. Time is a *****, life is too short and nothing lasts forever. Dwelling and obsessing about the condition of the toys will just make you enjoy your collection less. If you're giving this much thought to them, then I'm sure you're doing everything right and taking the best care of them. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're still frustrated by this, sell your stuff and let them be someone else's potential problem. In most cases, we're dealing with plastic, rubber and thin articles of the cheapest fabric out there. Even if you're doing everything right in the best of conditions, they're still ticking time bombs.

As long as your stuff is in a cool, dry environment, I wouldn't worry about them. Winter isn't what you have to worry about, it's all about summer and the humidity.

About the weatherstrips, any good harware store should have them, they come in rubber double ribbed round and square shape that you can split in the center to make it slimer, there also the foam variants, they all came with gluestrip in the back for fixing it. I buy mine at Home Depot, they have a good selection.

Back