Depp vs. Bale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Demonstrated acting range: Depp. He's also shown much better judgment in the range of roles he's taken.

Whether it's Sparrow or Ed Wood or Abberline (From Hell) or Icabod Crane or Sweeny Todd, or any of the others, Depp has shown that he WILL push the boundaries of what we expect. I had chalked him off as just another pretty boy actor until he absolutely surprised me with his Sparrow. Intrigued, I went back and rewatched his previous work starting from Edward Scissorhands. And discovered that he's ALWAYS brought a little extra to whatever role he played. Bale has gotten into a rut, IMO, of action movies. His best performance, because he showed tremendous nuances and control, was in The Prestige --but even then did not surprise me. He has plenty of talent, but he's wasting it. Just because an actor is intense doesn't necessarily make him a great actor. What separates the the good from the great is how that intensity is dished out for our consumption. I personally would rather see an actor who can be intense but can make it look effortless . Bale hasn't shown me that yet; he's still a bit of the "look ma, I'm ACTing." Depp's choices of roles shows me he's looking for challenges and has no fear of looking less than a movie star.

I find I cannot ignore Bale's lisp, and Johnny can sing :lol, so he's in FTW.

You forget Bale can sing too (Newsies)

pic8.jpg

singing and dancing. dudes more talented than Depp hands down.

Really? Have you watched anything besides Batman and Terminator Salvation?

those are the only movies that I would say he has a growl.

Well, I have seen 3:10 to Yuma, but that was more for Crowe and pretty-boy Prince than Bale.

You got me, I'll amend my previous statement, "All Bale does LATELY is growl." It didn't do much for either character. YMMV.

Back