Depp vs. Bale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must not have seen mid 80s-early 90s Depp.

You must not have read where I said in general "Depp can do no wrong" I never said "Since Johnny Depp was born he has been a 10/10"

Pacino has also made some horrid movies but I would argue that he is also one of the best actors ever to appear in film.

I don't really feel like you can pit them against each other, the roles they play seem quite different, it's not like Stallone vs. Schwarzenegger where it's 2 guys doing the same kind of things. I don't see Bale being able to do Jack Sparrow and I don't see Depp being able to do Batman, they both are fantastic actors at playing the roles they take, and I love how dedicated they both seem to each role and invest into them.

Well said. :cool:

I don't really feel like you can pit them against each other, the roles they play seem quite different, it's not like Stallone vs. Schwarzenegger where it's 2 guys doing the same kind of things. I don't see Bale being able to do Jack Sparrow and I don't see Depp being able to do Batman, they both are fantastic actors at playing the roles they take, and I love how dedicated they both seem to each role and invest into them.

I could easily see Depp in other roles like The Prestige, 3:10 to Yuma, and American Psycho. I could also see Bale in some of Depp's roles.

:lol:lol My comment wasn't directed at you. :) Depp is charismatic for sure. I just don't get the comments that all Bale does is growl....he didn't in The Machinist, Rescue Dawn, Harsh Times.....

I love them both equally...and both are easy on the eyes so it's a win/win for me! :D :monkey5

Oh I know, I was just picking on you I guess :D You Bale fanatic you :lol

You must not have read where I said in general "Depp can do no wrong" I never said "Since Johnny Depp was born he has been a 10/10"

Pacino has also made some horrid movies but I would argue that he is also one of the best actors ever to appear in film.

I don't care what anyone says, 21 Jump Street kicks ass.

I've said it before and i'll say it again "Empire of the Sun" was his BEST performance. American Psycho was another great role but he's just not as consistent or charasmatic as Depp.

Depp can do no wrong imo. I still have a great deal of respect for Bale, i'm just answering what the thread asked for.

You're right I did miss it. Care to point out where you say it? I do agree with you about Empire of the Sun though.

The thing to me is like Maulfan said they take different roles also, depp is more flexible an actor while he has believability in his roles Bale seems to be more of a person that indulges himself in his roles the machinist? tell me he is not devoted go watch that movie how ever I get the feeling this is about to get nasty...like the sly or arnie thread

No question, Depp. I've never been a big fan of Bale's. He did a great job in the Batman films, but I guess I just haven't seen enough of his other stuff outside the Prestiege or Terminator to give him a fair shot. But Depp is amazing. Jack Sparrow, Willy Wonka, Edward Scissorhands, some guy killed by Freddy Krueger, Ichabod Crane, Sweeney Todd, and now the Mad Hatter and John Dillinger. Lots of very different characters, and many of them very memorable.

Bale = Batman, John Connor, Patrick Bateman, and some freaky skinny dude.

No question, Depp. I've never been a big fan of Bale's. He did a great job in the Batman films, but I guess I just haven't seen enough of his other stuff outside the Prestiege or Terminator to give him a fair shot. But Depp is amazing. Jack Sparrow, Willy Wonka, Edward Scissorhands, some guy killed by Freddy Krueger, Ichabod Crane, Sweeney Todd, and now the Mad Hatter and John Dillinger. Lots of very different characters, and many of them very memorable.

Bale = Batman, John Connor, Patrick Bateman, and some freaky skinny dude.

You forgot Ed Wood.:mad::mad::mad:

:lol:lol My comment wasn't directed at you. :) Depp is charismatic for sure. I just don't get the comments that all Bale does is growl....he didn't in The Machinist, Rescue Dawn, Harsh Times.....

I love them both equally...and both are easy on the eyes so it's a win/win for me! :D :monkey5

Bale was great in The Prestige too. I don't care which is "better" there are movies of theirs I like and hate about equal.

I love them both, but I have to go with Depp. He's the master of the quirky character, though he also does believable drama. He had amazing range and depth, but he really shines when he is just unleashed and allowed to push the limits.

Bale is a favorite of mine because of his level of commitment to a part, which is why his star was not tarnished in any bit for me when his tirade hit the net. He's an intense actor, and I can understand how that can sometimes boil over into rage. Overall, he manages to completely immerse himself in a character, which is why I love his work. Although he did a fantastic job in the Batman series so far, I especially loved him in American Psycho, The Prestige and Rescue Dawn. He really earned my respect with those films, not to mention what he did to himself for the Machinist. He's dedicated, and I very much look forward to what he does in the future.

In the end it comes down to the body of work, and Depp has a much longer career with more variety and stand out characters. Bale just needs time to see if he can develop that same kind of career.

In the end it comes down to the body of work, and Depp has a much longer career with more variety and stand out characters. Bale just needs time to see if he can develop that same kind of career.

Funny thing is, Depp has only been around a few years longer.

Well if we are judging them by their complete body of work...I would have to go with Bale.

I love Johnny Depp and it was great seeing him in a serious dramatic role...and he nailed it. Mostly he plays quirky characters though - which are always memorable...but I think a true drama is harder to nail...than say a character like Edward Scissorhands or Jack Sparrow. He does make movies fun to watch - you know his character is going to be entertaining....but they are not serious dramatic roles which I think really test your talent.

Bale - aside from Terminator Salvation which totally disappointed me, he has shown an amazing range and has brought such conviction and believability to his roles....The Batman movies are great movies - but I feel they no way show his true talent. Movies like The Machine, 3:10 to Yuma, Rescue Dawn are great because he was the character - hook, line and sinker. I don't think many could convincingly pull of those roles. I really liked him in Public Enemies...his role was fairly small - but he put on a great accent and even though he was a man of few words - his eyes and slight facial expressions gave a glimpse of what was really going on with this man....he was tormented yet had to hide it.

Now, I would watch any film by either of these actors...no question. It's nice seeing Depp branch out into more serious roles...I don't know if Bale could pull off a lot of what Depp has done and vise versa....they both are extremely good at what they do....so perhaps my vote is a tie. :)

:lecture:lecture - couldn't have said it better myself.....

Funny thing is, Depp has only been around a few years longer.

True, but Bale started as a child actor and then went back to Britain hoping to not come back into acting. He eventually did of course, but he has always been mired by unfortunate film choices. He doesn't have the same raw talent as Depp, by any means... but I think he could still go further if he pushes himself and chooses his roles a bit more carefully.

Back