Depp vs. Bale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True, but Bale started as a child actor and then went back to Britain hoping to not come back into acting. He eventually did of course, but he has always been mired by unfortunate film choices. He doesn't have the same raw talent as Depp, by any means... but I think he could still go further if he pushes himself and chooses his roles a bit more carefully.

We of course all thank him for Newsies and Swing Kids.:banana:banana:banana

Gotta say Bale. Depp is so talented and great at what he does but he plays the part as Bale becomes the part.

In the machinist Bale wouldn't let his stunt double go in the sewer with rats,he made himself do it because he was the character. He also Ate maggots in Rescue Dawn to show how far he'd gone into character. I think Bale is a far more dedicated actor and is more talented.

I like Depp alot but I don't think he's as good. Bale lives to act. He did TS because ppl thought he shouldn't do it and he did it to show that he's an actor and he's not too good to play any role. Not to mention he's not in it for the money. It's just what he does.

I would too.

My favorite is Sleepy Hollow. I just loved him as Ichabod Crane.

He is great in that. My favorite part is when he finally believes in the horseman and he says something like "It was a horseman..........headless.":lol:lol:lol

Yeah, Depp plays the wimp aspect of Ichabod perfectly, I love when he walks to the witch's lair and he holds the gun keeping the kid in front of him :lol "We're leaving, we're leaving NOW!!!"

if we were going by memorable characters alone then yes Depp wins hands down but if we are talking about pure acting then i don't know if one is truely better than the other.

To Bale's defense he didn't make friends with a Tim Burton type director early in his career so that he could have all these memorible characters. Burton has as much a hand in Depps fame as Depp's own talent does.

Yeah, Depp plays the wimp aspect of Ichabod perfectly, I love when he walks to the witch's lair and he holds the gun keeping the kid in front of him :lol "We're leaving, we're leaving NOW!!!"

:lol One of his very best roles .............. he and Burton have excellent chemistry together.

True, but Bale started as a child actor and then went back to Britain hoping to not come back into acting. He eventually did of course, but he has always been mired by unfortunate film choices. He doesn't have the same raw talent as Depp, by any means... but I think he could still go further if he pushes himself and chooses his roles a bit more carefully.

I think that's what keeps him from shining, either by his choice or lack of offers, he seems to take a lot of roles that while big in nature, like John Connor, are ultimately small in screen time. For what little they're on screen he gives them his all and great performance, but as an audience, we don't get as good a taste of what he's capable of when his characters are almost background guys.

if we were going by memorable characters alone then yes Depp wins hands down but if we are talking about pure acting then i don't know if one is truely better than the other.

To Bale's defense he didn't make friends with a Tim Burton type director early in his career so that he could have all these memorible characters. Burton has as much a hand in Depps fame as Depp's own talent does.

Well technically Bale did get off to a decent start with "Empire of the Sun" and also consider it was directed by one of the all-time greats too. Bale got off to a much better start imo. Depp and Burton just click, thats all.

:lol One of his very best roles .............. he and Burton have excellent chemistry together.

Cuz they can both be pretty sick ^^^^s :lol Really though, I think Johnny has a very eccentric and quirky side to him and he does so well at those roles because they're almost effortless. You listen to him talk about playing Sparrow and it's like, yay, I get to be me on screen.

Jack Sparrow is what has made Depp huge to the general public. Burton had a hand in it, but Depp wouldn't be nearly as popular if it wasn't for playing Sparrow.

i have to say i like bale better, depp is great though. I think bale has a pretty good acting range, its just right now after playing batman he has been mr. action. I mean movies like american psycho or the machinist show a good amount of acting range. I love both actors and i think that they both have made good movies

Jack Sparrow is what has made Depp huge to the general public. Burton had a hand in it, but Depp wouldn't be nearly as popular if it wasn't for playing Sparrow.

That's my point exactly. Like I said, I really like Depp, he's actually my fav actor after Bale. Maybe it's just the way I see it but when he played Jack Sparrow all the girls went nuts over him and that made him blow up! Ever since he stole girl's hearts he became huge and ppl still say how hot he is.

And I personally think that's a damn shame that it took him to be good looking to get him really recognized because he has so much talent. He's an amazing actor but no one cared until he played a pirate who all thought was sexy. He should have been recognized before he played Sparrow.

Well technically Bale did get off to a decent start with "Empire of the Sun" and also consider it was directed by one of the all-time greats too. Bale got off to a much better start imo. Depp and Burton just click, thats all.

again true but Burton's style is so unique that Depp gets remembered for those unusual roles, and it was definately those roles that got him Sparrow.

Burton likes to use the same actors for most of his films so Depp got lucky that they "click" and this is not taking anything away from Depp definately one of the best - i was just saying that ultimately i don't think one is better than the other. Also as previously stated their styles are very different - you know apples and oranges if you will.....

Back