DCD: 13" Kingdom Come Superman Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ Thanks for the heads up. So much for that idea.

Mine is supposed to ship this Thursday, I'm guessing it should arrive on Monday.

For those thinking of removing his boots. Just to let you know the ankle on these things are horribly weak. Removing the cloth boots, I have broken two ankles on two different figures and that is taking extra care on the second attempt. Fore warned.

Had the same type of problem trying to get the shoes off a Doc Manhattan. Have one really loose ankle now. Next time I'll just cut the thing off. :)

Well guys, I did get my figure yesterday, but... I sort of exceeded my budget for the month so the wife said he has to go in the closet for a while! I didn't even get to open him! :gah: :lol She assures me that the production paint looks very similar to the prototype so I think he's gonna be a winner, I will sneak some photos later if I can.

Well guys, I did get my figure yesterday, but... I sort of exceeded my budget for the month so the wife said he has to go in the closet for a while! I didn't even get to open him! :gah: :lol She assures me that the production paint looks very similar to the prototype so I think he's gonna be a winner, I will sneak some photos later if I can.

:lol Man, I know exactly how you feel.

That is a shame about the ankles. At the price it takes to get one of these, will have to wait to get one dirt floor cheap. I've got two already, so at least I could attempt on one. Hearing about the problem with the cloth boots even makes me take pause. I've only got one of the first eddition Supermans with the Clark Kent clothes change, and there were only 5k of these made, so I would definately be paying more for a second. Got him mint in box on eBay for $60 plus shipping, and I knew it was a steal. The seller of the figure did a typo when entering the name of the figure, so I was the only bid on him. Very lucky, so I'd hate to screw him up. Was tempted to do a cape swap on him, since the cape with the figure is above the knees ridiculously. The head sculpt on the figure was more Ross style, dipictimg a 30's Superman, the costume featured the larger Ross style "S" and looks better than the 2nd issue Superman Classic, except they gave the classic a decent cape. Bought two classics just to have a spare to do the cape swap, but with better judgement, I didn't mess with the Deluxe Kent/Superman.

I guess the best approach is to just try a mod of the chest emblem, but I've got no idea on what would be the best approach. Try to do a paint over, but that could get sketchy. Do a cut, and sew over, but that entails destroying another figure.

I love the KC Superman, wish all the figures were Ross liscenced, but I know even with DC Direct having this sculpt, and a simple paint swap on the head, a all yellow belt, and a chest emblem swap would give us a Alex Ross "Justice" deluxe superman, when does DC Direct Deluxe give us loyal collectors what we want.

I know people have issues with the cut joints, issues with the 13" height of the figures, but I absolutely love these figures. The way I look at it, is they are designed just like action figures, that happen to have cloth uniforms. Every action figure has cut joints, take a look at any of your DC Universe Classics. The 13" figures have a very similar design. They aren't Sideshow, or Hot Toys, or trying to be, which we pay $150 or more for. They are deluxe action figures.

I just started collecting these in the last three months, starting with the Superman Classic. Got a great used Batman for $30, that came with a movie replica batpod and Dark Knight figure. Next was the limited edition Superman, and a good deal with a double figure sell of Aquaman and the Flash. Got jobbed on the Flash, the figure had the famous broken ear wing, but was able to get a mint Flash for $26. Then came an outstanding deal on the original Green Lantern, that is usually around $200 on Ebay. Got him for $80. Another double of Captain Marvel, (which is a very good Ross Style figure), and Powergirl. Then Wonder Woman for a solid $40. This week I got two KC Supermans. One for $60 on Ebay, and one I pre ordered at full retail with my LCS, just for support, and loyalty to the store owner, and I grabbed a Ross Styled Green Arrow mint off Ebay for an amazing $65.

These guys may not be great if you idea of owning them is for re-sale value, but don't the real collectors buy these to HAVE them? To open that box, feel the figure, think of younger days? To carefully arange the figures on a shelf together, or in a case, just to tell our kids, or friends "Don't Touch!". To see the look on our wives, or girlfriend's faces as we proudly display them in their faces to further ruin their estrogen filled decorative style? To rub it in with my wife, I proudly disply my extensive collection of Marvel Legends, DC Universe Classics, DC Direct "Justice" and "Justice Society" figures, and my 13" DC figures in a large lighted display case in the bedroom, making sure my custom figures are front and center, so she can clearly see the most expensive figures. Ha Ha!
And I dare her to say anything at all to me. They take over the house, try to take us over, spend our money on their girly shoes, clothes, accessories, and whatever excuse they want, so yes, my figures are proudly displayed so she can see them when she goes to bed, and when she wakes up. Whenever I get a new figure, or package from Ebay, of course she tries to chime in. "sigh, another figure?" which I reply, with a point to her closet, another pair of shoes your not going to wear?"

What a rant, far from topic, but it needed to be said for all the collectors here. Display proudly your hobby, enjoy the good and bad, and love thy fellow collector! Do not screw thy fellow collector on Ebay, and don't let your wives or girlfriends give you a hard time about comics, or figures. They buy even more crap than us, and they expect to display theirs threw the entire house. Claim your spot. Like me, I reccomend the bedroom. Let them know who's boss when they go to bed, a d wake up! Lol

take care guys!

I love the KC Superman, wish all the figures were Ross liscenced, but I know even with DC Direct having this sculpt, and a simple paint swap on the head, a all yellow belt, and a chest emblem swap would give us a Alex Ross "Justice" deluxe superman, when does DC Direct Deluxe give us loyal collectors what we want.

Originally they were all Ross inspired...this is the first time they are actually fully Ross based. It would be interesting to see if the new direction for this line would be artist inspired.

I know people have issues with the cut joints, issues with the 13" height of the figures, but I absolutely love these figures. The way I look at it, is they are designed just like action figures, that happen to have cloth uniforms. Every action figure has cut joints, take a look at any of your DC Universe Classics. The 13" figures have a very similar design. They aren't Sideshow, or Hot Toys, or trying to be, which we pay $150 or more for. They are deluxe action figures.

One could argue though that if dealers who have to make money on these can sell them for as low as around $60 and still turn a profit since there are so many people online selling that DCD is seriously gauging these figures. They are deluxe action figures will, Diamond is making figures larger with cloth that are deluxe figures for around $80 which means DCD should have these marked extremely lower than they are and if they had priced them accordingly the line would be still flourishing instead of having questions about progression past Justice Bats.

I love these figures and once you have a few on the shelf next to each other they look fantastic.

FYI, the Golden Age Green Lantern is now listed as being released on September 8th. 3 weeks from tomorrow. Wasn't it later in the month at one point?

Interesting. DCD has been screwing with their release dates all over the map so I'm not really that surprised. Their Blackest Night Series 5 has been pushed back five times already to tentatively be released on August 25th now.

Korrick - where is your avatar from?

kaneda - don't get me wrong. I love these figures, specially since I got them at low prices like you did. In fact the only cut joint that really bothers me is the bicep one. DCD could just as easily have made the cut between the deltoid and bicep area. Aside from a straight on pose of the arms, those cuts really show through the fabric.
For those ankle swaps - I was removing Supes boots when his right ankle broke and removing two-face's shoes (even though I loosened the shoestrings) and also his right ankle broke.

Korrick's avatar is from the recent DC Universe Online intro movie. Good set up for that game.

Yeah, I hate the cut joints too, it's just an evil we have to accept. No other 13" figures to swap the heads with.

All I'm hearing on the ankles has me scared to even try any kind of uniform swap, and the new molded boots on KC superman have got to be a tougher go than the cloth boots.

Want to do a repaint on a spare Batman figure as well. Dark blue for the black, ala Jim Lee hush style, which the figure is already styled in black.

I really don't know why people complain about the leather cape on the batman, saying it's too thick, as opposed to the light, too small cape on the Batman Classic. I always pictured Batman with a heavy, leather type cape, and it really poses well with the figure.

I would love to see the line done with artist stylized figures. Official Ross, Jim Lee, and Hughes to name a few iconic artists.

I agree on the point made about price. They shouldn't be more than $65 at most retail. You know these things are made in China for probably $10 per unit at most.

It is what it is, and it's the only game in town, unless Hot Toys gets fair game to do the comic stylized figures.

I read earlier in this thread someone had the opinion Hot Toys only does well with real life actor figures, and would have trouble with art based figures. They are all pre sculpted in a computer before the molds are made, so it would not be any harder than developing a head render for a cgi film. As realistic as Ross's art style is, this could easily be accomplished. There are examples of Ross styled cgi renders all over the net.

Maybe when DCD gets out of the deluxe figure game, they'll let us buy the figures all over again from Side Show, or Hot Toys, lol

Well considering that Ross bases all of his comic designs on real actors, actresses and people he knows, I think that it'd be right up HT's ballpark, they love to hide sculpts of actors and actresses in their lines.

I know people have issues with the cut joints, issues with the 13" height of the figures, but I absolutely love these figures. The way I look at it, is they are designed just like action figures, that happen to have cloth uniforms. Every action figure has cut joints, take a look at any of your DC Universe Classics. The 13" figures have a very similar design.

The cut joints on the biceps have many a time ruined the overall aesthetic of the DCD 13" figures (the ones with the huge bodies, I think they fixed it for the smaller teen bodies, I can't recall at the moment). Marvel Legends figures have articulated biceps, but the joints are at the deltoids and elbows. If DCD made this simple amendment to their huge bodies, it would be a great improvement. I've been collecting this line since the first release of Deluxe Supes and have come to accept them as oversized Mego figures, but the cut bicep articulation still irritates me.

They aren't Sideshow, or Hot Toys, or trying to be, which we pay $150 or more for. They are deluxe action figures.

Where I'm based, US$30 more than the US$100 SRP can get me a Hot Toys figure.

I steer away from ebay for this line cos of the QC, which includes the paint and most of the time, the placement of the emblem tends to be off for the batches my LCS receives here, so the only way to make sure I get a decent figure is pick the best figure from each batch. The only time I went on ebay was for Sinestro and Sandman. Sinestro arrived with his emblem glued on awkwardly.

These guys may not be great if you idea of owning them is for re-sale value, but don't the real collectors buy these to HAVE them? To open that box, feel the figure, think of younger days? To carefully arange the figures on a shelf together, or in a case, just to tell our kids, or friends "Don't Touch!".

Admittedly, they do look decent when displayed together.

Display proudly your hobby, enjoy the good and bad, and love thy fellow collector! Do not screw thy fellow collector on Ebay, and don't let your wives or girlfriends give you a hard time about comics, or figures. They buy even more crap than us, and they expect to display theirs threw the entire house. Claim your spot. Like me, I reccomend the bedroom. Let them know who's boss when they go to bed, a d wake up! Lol

Alternatively, claim a room of your own. :)

Thanks for taking the time to post, it was an enjoyable read from a fellow collector who feels for this toy line.

I got my shipping notice from AEC & it's scheduled to arrive on Friday. I'll take plenty of pics as soon as I can.

Shaun, I'm jealous. I've a wife and two kids, and trying to get a 4 bedroom house, just so I can have my Own Room! Lol. I know I got to do it, cuz the two kids are two daughters, which translate to I will need my own ManCave. Very similar to your set up is mine. Got my shelve case with display figures, and boxes and boxes of figures sealed away crying for space. Back in the old college days, it was an entire wall covered in marvel legends, lol.

As for the 13" bodies of DCD, there was a reason I used the DC Universe Classics bodies for the comparrison, rather than Marvel Legends, and Hasbro legends, I'm talking real Toy Biz Marvel Legends. The bucks used in that line are some of the most articulated, and hero designed figures of all time. The evolution from Series 1 Iron Man and Captain America, to Series 8, Sentry, Wonderman, Black Panther, simply Amazing.

Could you imagine a 13" Sentury Toy Biz body model, complete with articulated figures with a superman head on it, with the cloth uniform? That would be a deluxe figure.

It's hard not to accept for $100 we can't get an articulated buck matching a 6" Toy Biz Marvel Legend we bought back in the day for $10 or less. It is what it is, and the only game in town for now.

Considering what we have today, compared to the stiff Secret Wars Marvel, and Super Powers Kenner DC figures of the 80's, we've got some good looking stuff on our shelves today.

Shout out to Shaun's Hot Toys Batmobile. I've been eyeing the one at my local Comic Shop, and I'm hoping it's still there come tax time, cuz I'll swoop on it faster than the Falcon comming to the aide of Captain America. I've still been waiting on the perfect deal for the Dx2 Dark Knight, and anyone think Hot Toys will do the Iron Man Mk VI, since they have done the Mk IV?

Shaun, I'm jealous. I've a wife and two kids, and trying to get a 4 bedroom house, just so I can have my Own Room! Lol. I know I got to do it, cuz the two kids are two daughters, which translate to I will need my own ManCave. Very similar to your set up is mine. Got my shelve case with display figures, and boxes and boxes of figures sealed away crying for space. Back in the old college days, it was an entire wall covered in marvel legends, lol.

I've a seven month old son and I bring him into my toy room when he needs to be distracted. The multitude of colours does keep him amazed for a good period of time. I look forward to the day we can read comics together and him pointing out to a figure on the shelf and say, "Dad, there's the figure we're reading about."

ML was an awesome line and it's a pity it's slowed down so much. Still holding back on picking up the 3 3/4 line though I must say it has awesome articulation and an amazing selection. And I'm not even thinking of Galactus yet.

As for the 13" bodies of DCD, there was a reason I used the DC Universe Classics bodies for the comparrison, rather than Marvel Legends, and Hasbro legends, I'm talking real Toy Biz Marvel Legends. The bucks used in that line are some of the most articulated, and hero designed figures of all time. The evolution from Series 1 Iron Man and Captain America, to Series 8, Sentry, Wonderman, Black Panther, simply Amazing.

Ah reason why I used a Marvel Legends figure as comparison is cos it's the best on the market.

Could you imagine a 13" Sentury Toy Biz body model, complete with articulated figures with a superman head on it, with the cloth uniform? That would be a deluxe figure.

Sorry, you do mean Sentry with articulated fingers right? Yes that would be a decent standard if DCD could bring themselves to treat their 13" line like that.

It's hard not to accept for $100 we can't get an articulated buck matching a 6" Toy Biz Marvel Legend we bought back in the day for $10 or less. It is what it is, and the only game in town for now.

Till DCD decides that other 1:6 companies may have better interpretations of their figures and allows them the license to produce them. Downside is that we'll have to start collecting them from scratch.

Considering what we have today, compared to the stiff Secret Wars Marvel, and Super Powers Kenner DC figures of the 80's, we've got some good looking stuff on our shelves today.

I've always had a place in my heart for the Super Powers Kenner DC figures, cos the first Superman toy I remember Dad buying for me was from that line. Always been at the back of my mind to try and hunt them down, budget permitting.

Shout out to Shaun's Hot Toys Batmobile. I've been eyeing the one at my local Comic Shop, and I'm hoping it's still there come tax time, cuz I'll swoop on it faster than the Falcon comming to the aide of Captain America. I've still been waiting on the perfect deal for the Dx2 Dark Knight, and anyone think Hot Toys will do the Iron Man Mk VI, since they have done the Mk IV?

The HT Batmobile is a must, I rearranged my room's layout, paid for a custom made case and got a table from Ikea just to fit it in and it's the crown jewel of my collection.

Hot Toys have announced MK VI and it's gonna be quite a pricy figure with battle damaged options.

Apologies to everyone that I've derailed the discussion. Back to topic, would like to know from fellow collectors how Shazam has held up since you got him? I think my tropical climate has wrecked havoc on the gold bits of his costume, i.e., the gold bits have flaked off exposing the silver cloth used. Totally spoilt this shot which I was so looking forward to ever since I learnt of KC Supes announcement.

Here's another pix till more from fellow collectors come in.

Face sculpt is great, even the hands sculpts seems more detailed. the molded boots limit movement but looks loads better.

Oh, DCD why have you forsaken me? Watch out for defects. I replaced mine originally as there was hole/tear on the S emblem, looked the figure over and everything seemed okay. Still the red colors on the emblem is not solid. I see faded lines as if the printer was about to run out of ink. I was concentrating on that so much that I did not notice the large bumps on the right boot. Don't even know what is causing it, need more time to look it over and see what can be done.

They also completely removed the ball joint on the neck. It is now just a complete straight cut. Quick pics.

This is still a great figure. I just need to address the boots issue. Although I must say that out of 18 figures (both from ebay and retail stores) this is the first one I got that has a major defect.
Picture232.jpg

Back