DC RELAUNCHING entire Universe in September

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently Jim Lee announced he'll be back on Justice League with issue with issue 9 and Gary Frank and Geoff Johns will be rebooting Shazam/Captain Marvel as well starting in JL and then spinning into Curse of Shazam

Wow. Sounds like I'm really missing out not reading dc any more.
Not.

Actually, you are. Some of the new books are great (especially Animal Man, Batman, Swamp Thing). I'd say there are at least 16-20 solid monthly titles.

The problem is, Justice League is the flagship title that sells the most... and it's an utter piece of garbage.

I still highly recommend the following, in order:

Animal Man
Batman
Swamp Thing
DC Universe Presents (the Deadman arc was great)
Justice League Dark
I, Vampire
Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
All Star Western
Sucide Squad
Action Comics
Batman & Robin
Voodoo
Aquaman
Nightwing
Batgirl
Red Hood & The Outlaws
Wonder Woman
Teen Titans

Just finished reading Batman: TDK and while the story was going nowhere, the usage of the Scarecrow I actually liked, they did actually do something interesting in it. Tim Drake Robin, this one:

220px-Robin0.JPG

Made an appearance temporarily in the delusions that Bruce was enduring and while in the 90s, it was very secure that Tim was a teenager, but in this appearance, Tim in this look was shown extremely young, about 10. I wonder how that plays with the continuity that is being tried to be contained within the New 52. The only hero who was in service before the 5 year mark was Batman but Jim Lee admitted it wasn't that much longer than the rest. If I wasn't wrong and Tim was supposed to be that young that means that he would have had to have gone through his time with Grayson and Jason almost lightning fast not to mention that he would have had to have taken on the Robins each around him being 20 and Grayson would have had to be have been a teenager in his mid teens for it to make sense.

No official announcement of "The Robins" yet but it was announced today that Jeff Lemire is taking over "Justice League Dark" beginning with issue #9. :yess:

The book was already getting good. Now it promises to be great.

Matt Kindt will be taking over "Frankenstein" but he's a close collaborator with Lemire so I doubt the book will suffer much and will retain its identity. Kindt is pretty darn good, too.

Peter Milligan is moving from JL Dark to "Stormwatch", so now Stormwatch won't suck so bad.

These are solid moves by DC.

Last edited:
Was reading the latest Nightwing earlier and they did a feature at the back on the Suicide Squad issues 6 & 7 and how it covers the original of Harley Quinn I quite fancy reading about that but do I need to have read the others?

For those that have Nightwing #5 is that Jokers ripped off face from Detective Comics #1 at the back in that look at Suicide Squad 6 & 7?

Just finished reading Batman: TDK and while the story was going nowhere, the usage of the Scarecrow I actually liked, they did actually do something interesting in it. Tim Drake Robin, this one:

220px-Robin0.JPG

Made an appearance temporarily in the delusions that Bruce was enduring and while in the 90s, it was very secure that Tim was a teenager, but in this appearance, Tim in this look was shown extremely young, about 10. I wonder how that plays with the continuity that is being tried to be contained within the New 52. The only hero who was in service before the 5 year mark was Batman but Jim Lee admitted it wasn't that much longer than the rest. If I wasn't wrong and Tim was supposed to be that young that means that he would have had to have gone through his time with Grayson and Jason almost lightning fast not to mention that he would have had to have taken on the Robins each around him being 20 and Grayson would have had to be have been a teenager in his mid teens for it to make sense.

exactly why im not into the new 52.

sorry

Just read Detective #6. Good to see that it's back to full length this issue - just a shame that the story was very weak. The Charlotte Rivers/Jill/Snakeskin storyline didn't hold my interest in the slightest, which isn't good since that makes up the majority of this issue. And once again the cover misleads you into thinking that Penguin will play a major part of the story yet he is limited to a brief appearence.
Fantastic artwork as usual, but the storyline is severley lacking.

Was reading the latest Nightwing earlier and they did a feature at the back on the Suicide Squad issues 6 & 7 and how it covers the original of Harley Quinn I quite fancy reading about that but do I need to have read the others?

You won't have to read the previous Suicide Squad books to know what's going on in 6 & 7, this would be a new "jumping on point", so to speak. That synopsis mentioned how Harley was one of the most brilliant psychiatrists in the world, that is certainly contrary to the origin that was laid out in "Mad Love".

You won't have to read the previous Suicide Squad books to know what's going on in 6 & 7, this would be a new "jumping on point", so to speak. That synopsis mentioned how Harley was one of the most brilliant psychiatrists in the world, that is certainly contrary to the origin that was laid out in "Mad Love".

Thanks for the reply mate, I'll add it to my reading list now :yess:

Just read Detective #6. Good to see that it's back to full length this issue - just a shame that the story was very weak. The Charlotte Rivers/Jill/Snakeskin storyline didn't hold my interest in the slightest, which isn't good since that makes up the majority of this issue. And once again the cover misleads you into thinking that Penguin will play a major part of the story yet he is limited to a brief appearence.
Fantastic artwork as usual, but the storyline is severley lacking.

Yeah... That series really needs an actual writer. Daniel is just not up to par. It's like he blew his wad with issue #1, which was solidly written from start to finish.

They just announced a new writer on The Dark Knight today (Gregg Hurwitz taking over from Paul Jenkins beginning with #10) so who knows? Detective still sells well, though. But, yeah, the writing and story have gone beyond stale. It's now my least favorite of the 4 Batman titles to read.

Carl, you like Batman & Robin?

Just read Swamp Thing and Animal Man. Boy, before you know it, you're done reading them. They're great books.

They just announced a new writer on The Dark Knight today (Gregg Hurwitz taking over from Paul Jenkins beginning with #10)
Yeah, I read an interview with Hurwitz about that and what he's got in store for it should be awesome. Absolutely love what he's done so far with 'Penguin: Pain & Prejudice' and it sounds like he's going to do a great job taking on the Scarecrow for this new story arc in TDK. Will definitely be adding this to my list in June.

Just finished the last issue of Penguin: Pain and Prejudice - really sad to see this end now, it's been an outstanding series. Hopefully Hurwitz's run on Batman: The Dark Knight can fill the void this has left.

Finished reading Detective Comics 5 & 6 tonight, I guess the previous Dollmaker arc is officially finished (he got away at the end of #4 yeah?)

Nice ending to #6 though so looking forward to reading what happens next.

Gonna tackle my backlog of TDK next....

I was so getting into Detective Comics. But the story so far is confusing. I guess he jumps from villians to villians?

I'm sad to see P:p&P end, but to be honest, it was all down hill from the first issue. The first issue was AMAZING and I never felt the rest quite lived up the it. The story, overall, was good. You really feel bad for Oswald, but understand its partly his own fault. A great new addition to the Peguin's past though. I wish they'd make these things a regular thing and just go through the different Batman villians every 5 issues.

Just read about Animal Man's artist, Travel Foreman, leaving the title for Birds of Prey. Apparently his mother passed away recently, and he was having trouble with the content of the title.

Sucks.

2192303-bmann_cv1.jpeg

Just came across this! Coming in May, Scott Snyder's brilliant Court of Owls storyline will bring Victor Fries into mix with Batman Annual 1. Snyder's work is unparalleled in the current Bat comics, with his last installment the best of the bunch and according to him, the best still to come. Bringing one of Batman's big foe's into play only makes me more excited for this series continuation. And which villain is more in need of a great comic than Mr. Freeze?

Saw that article somewhere yesterday too, very excited to see some of the regular rogues gallery turn up, and im sure Snyder will do a fantastic job. Court of Owls so far has just been getting better and better with every issue. Cant wait for next week.

Back