DC RELAUNCHING entire Universe in September

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Rebooting entire Universe in September

Yeah well I'll wait and see what he says if sales start dropping.*I'm not bitter...much.*

I just don't get why they don't do like Marvel did with the Ultimate universe. It keeps longtime fans happy, it doesn't annoy new fans who are just getting a grasp of continuity (me), and it can be younger and more hip or whatever to bring in new fans. Then those new fans will start buying the original universe stuff (I did) because they're intrigued and want more. Then they're buying twice as much. At least until the new universe starts sucking worse than the old one and they drop it (me again).

That was what the whole point of the what the "Earth One" books were supposed to be. They announced it a few years ago - a new DC universe, released in graphic novel form (so one book after another, not monthly titles where stories are stretched out over the period of a six month period), and not beholden to previous continuity.

They released a Superman: Earth One book in hardcover, which sold out pretty instantly. It was supposed to be followed up, but I never heard anything about the next Superman: Earth One books in the series.

They also released initial concept art for Batman: Earth One, and hinted that there were already multiple Batman: Earth One books in the pipeline.

But we never saw anything from those ever again - not even the first supposed "Batman: Earth One."

It's a real pity, because it could've been real awesome. I thought they should've done something like that back in 2005, when Batman Begins came out, but I figured better late than never. If you ask me, the whole monthly issue paradigm is a dinosaur and they really should be releasing full-size graphic novels on a regular basis instead (like a new full-size Batman graphic novel every six weeks, for instance, instead of a new 20-page Batman issue every week).

It'd do wonders for the genre - make it accessible, give it credibility, draw in new readers, elevate the storytelling and quality.

But I guess they dropped that idea, and now we get this crap.

Although I have heard Babs MAY BE Batgirl again because of this I suppose that's one good thing that might come out of this*even though I wanted Cass to be Batgirl again Babs gets all the media appearances*

I'm really disappointed by this news - it's a real step back for the Barbara character. I LIKED her as Oracle, and thought she was much more realized in that role as a character than ever before. She had come to terms with her disability and worked to elevate herself beyond it.

Equally importantly - what the hell is the point of a disability if your characters can just "regenerate"? How is that at all relatable and dramatically interesting to real-life audiences?

She's not a superhero, she doesn't have powers, and to give her a cop-out ending to her story like that is cheap, lousy, lazy writing - not to mention dishonest to the character and her world.

Originally Posted by Open Letter from Dan Didio
As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and there are a lot of great things that don't need fixing. But we also saying that will not stand ideally by and let series run on inertia and let the industry fade around us. All of us here at DC love the form and the characters way too much for that.

Wait, was that really written by Dan Didio?

...isn't he supposed to be an editor, or something?

It was posted on his Facebook page. He is the co-editor in chief.

^^That's why it pisses me off that in the tv shows Babs is always Batgirl she hasn't been Batgirl in 20 yrs yet DC ignores the other Batgirls and the Huntress to push Babs into the limelight and when you read the comics she ain't Batgirl no someone ELSE is.

Rebooting some lines and not others seems like it may be even more confusing. I'm interested to see what becomes of Green Arrow. He seems to be a very minor character, but he's one of the few DC characters I like.

I think we also have to give DC props because like this idea or not, it seems we're all paying MUCH closer attention to what DC is doing than we probably have in the past. I feel like coming into this thread is like turning on CNN during a presidential election.

[ame="https://youtu.be/WTo_H4wgqP4"]302 Found[/ame] not a Reboot ???

That seems to be the only place confirming both Batgirl and Nightwing comming back as well as Babs being Batgirl. I won't call it offical until DC says something. I mean the odds are its like 99 percent Barbara is going to be back as Batgirl but yeah nothing 100 percent offical yet.

Best thing about the reboot: Jim Lee back on pencils!

Worst thing about the reboot: everything except the above as this trick is a desperate attempt to catch up on Marvel.

Open Letter from Dan Didio off Facebook:

“Folks, as you wonder and wait for the new series announcements to unfold, I just wanted to let you know that we are spending an extraordinary amount of time and energy to reinvigorate our line of characters and bring the best books possible for the widest audience possible. Sorry if anyone is feeling disenfranchised, especially since that’s not the intent. Quite the opposite, we are trying to create a place and story where older fans can point for new fans to start, whether in periodical, graphic novel or digital. A place where everyone can share in the excitement of the DC Universe.

As the saying goes, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, and there are a lot of great things that don’t need fixing. But we also saying that will not stand ideally by and let series run on inertia and let the industry fade around us. All of us here at DC love the form and the characters way too much for that.

Tomorrow we begin filling you in on all the excitement we have planned, plenty of real new to talk about and its time for everyone to join in the fun.

best, DD”

This guy is an editor? He's more of a joke to me now than ever before! Gaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!! :slap:monkey4:monkey4

And this is not even an exhaustive list of mistakes...

Beren

This was already posted a couple pages back. :cuckoo:

Yeah, one person might have rhetorically asked if Didio was an editor but it wasn't necessarily pointed out how many mistakes were in there. And how ridiculous that is for an "editor".

:cuckoo:

Beren

Yeah, one person might have rhetorically asked if Didio was an editor but it wasn't necessarily pointed out how many mistakes were in there. And how ridiculous that is for an "editor".

:cuckoo:

Beren

I don't think anybody cares. :dunno

So I guess expect another young angst filled Superman in the DCU...

JMS says EARTH ONE Books Unaffected by Revamp

"No effect at all," JMS told Newsarama asked if the reboot would effect the second volume of Superman: Earth One. "The book is already a re-imagining of sorts, and DC is very happy to leave that alone in its own separate arena. The changes affect the monthly books, not the Earth One line, which operate outside that continuity.

"Oddly enough, the only effect kind of works in the opposite direction, as Superman Earth One was a bit of a proof-of-concept that you could reconsider and remake the characters with a contemporary thrust and it'll work. It did.

"What Dan[DiDio] is doing is correct, massively gutsy and long overdue. More power to him."

Long but Informative article from DC themselves:

The New Justice

On Tuesday, we made the announcement in USA Today that DC was undertaking a historic renumbering of 52 superhero titles across the line, starting with JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 by our superstar creators Geoff Johns and Jim Lee. The cover to issue #1 is by Jim Lee and Scott Williams.

We’re announcing today that several of DC’s most iconic heroes will receive historic new first issues spinning out of the pages of Geoff Johns and Jim Lee’s JUSTICE LEAGUE:

New York Times bestselling writer Brian Azzarello, author of The Joker and 100 Bullets, teams up with the immensely talented artist Cliff Chiang (Neil Young’s Greendale) for WONDER WOMAN #1, an exciting new series starring the DC Universe’s greatest superheroine. The cover to issue #1 is by Cliff Chiang.

Geoff Johns, one of comics’ greatest storytellers, reunites with GREEN LANTERN and BRIGHTEST DAY collaborator Ivan Reis to bring you a thrilling new take on the fan-favorite hero of the sea in AQUAMAN #1. The cover to issue #1 is by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado.

Rising superstar Francis Manapul, fresh off his acclaimed run on THE FLASH with Geoff Johns, makes his comics writing debut in THE FLASH #1, sharing both scripting and art duties with Brian Buccellato. The Flash knows he can’t be everywhere at once, but what happens when he faces an all-new villain who can? The cover to issue #1 is by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato.

BRIGHTER DAYS

Welcome to a major new vision of the Nuclear Man as writers Ethan Van Sciver and Gail Simone team up with artist Yildiray Cinar to deliver THE FURY OF FIRESTORM #1. Jason Rusch and Ronnie Raymond are two high school students, worlds apart – and now they’re drawn into a conspiracy of super science that bonds them forever in a way they can’t explain or control. The cover to issue #1 is by Ed Benes.

Batman writer Tony Daniel will team up with artist Philip Tan (GREEN LANTERN: AGENT ORANGE, THE OUTSIDERS) for THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN #1. Carter Hall’s skill at deciphering lost languages has led him to a job with an archeologist who specializes in alien ruins – but will the doctor’s latest discovery spread an alien plague through New York City? No matter the personal cost, Carter Hall must don his cowl and wings and become the new, savage Hawkman to survive. The cover to issue #1 is by Philip Tan.

Oliver Queen is an orphan who grew up to fight crime as the Green Arrow, a billionaire playboy who uses his fortune to become a superhero – able to fight the most powerful super-villains in the universe with nothing but a bow and arrow. JT Krul will write GREEN ARROW #1 with art by superstar artist Dan Jurgens. The cover to issue #1 is by Dan Jurgens and Norm Rapmund.

GLOBAL JUSTICE

A team of internationally-drafted superheroes fight each other and their bureaucratic supervisors as much as they do global crime in JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #1 from writer Dan Jurgens and artist Aaron Lopresti. The cover to issue #1 is by Aaron Lopresti.

The world’s third-smartest man – and one of its most eligible bachelors – uses his brains and fists against science gone mad in MISTER TERRIFIC #1, the new series from writer Eric Wallace and artist Roger Robinson. The cover to issue #1 is by J.G. Jones.

Captain Atom has all the power in the world, but no hope of saving himself. Charged by nuclear energy, possessing vast molecular powers, he has the potential to be a god among men – a hero without limits. But the question is this: Will he lose himself in the process? JT Krul and artist Freddie Williams II take the character in a bold new direction in CAPTAIN ATOM #1. The cover to issue #1 is by Stanley “Artgem” Lau.

BRAVER AND BOLDER

The anthology series gets a new look in DC Universe Presents, a new series that will focus on multi-issue story arcs each featuring a different superhero from the DC Universe’s rich cast of characters, told by some of comics’ most exciting writers and artitsts. DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #1 kicks off the first arc of the series: a Deadman story by Paul Jenkins and Bernard Chang. The cover to issue #1 is by Ryan Sook.

jla_cv11.jpg

wwv2_cv1.jpg

aqm_cv1.jpg

flsv3_cv1.jpg

firestorm_cv1.jpg

svghkman_cv1.jpg

Notice how Smallvillian GA is:
ga_cv1.jpg

jlifinalcover1.jpg

mr_terr_cv1.jpg

catom_cv1.jpg

dcu_presents_1_final_400.jpg

I say again THIS WILL TANK...and I will laugh at them when they're scrambling on they're asses to "fix" it.

Back