DC RELAUNCHING entire Universe in September

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Rebooting entire Universe in September

where is green lantern's ring & why does hawkman have wolverine claws

On the JLA cover Hal's ring is missing due to an error at the hands of the inker. There is a photo of Jim Lee's original pencils and Hal has the ring. As for these titles.....Firestorm? Mr Terrific? Captain Atom? Really? Wow I already see 3 books that are going to be cancelled.

As for these titles.....Firestorm? Mr Terrific? Captain Atom? Really? Wow I already see 3 books that are going to be cancelled.

That's kind of DC's thing. They love to take characters nobody gives a ____ about and put them in the spotlight of a major storyline and/or give them their own title.

I was enjoying some of Marvel's Ultimate line. The FF, Iron Man, and Ultimates were decent books most of the time. Then Joe Q screwed it up with "Ultimatum". Now it's a mess. But Marvel did leave their original continuity going as well.

DC had All Star and as an answer to Ultimate Marvel. They don't need to do this.

Disposing of the title numbering is a huge slap to long time collectors. They are throwing away a legacy. (Of course, it's very likely they will revert, but that just another cop-out)

And as for Superman and WW hooking up, it makes no sense. She grew up on an island full of women. She reached maturity there. If you really want to shake up the character WW they should have her "come out".

The funny thing is that DC is launching 52 titles but not admitting that they are expecting a good number to fail. Mr. Terrific and Captain Atom are good supporting characters but I'm unsure if they can hold a book on their own. Hawkman looks like they cluster____ed that whole character but I'll give that book a chance.

Mom and Pop comic dealers are not going to carry 52 titles from DC. Most of them don't even have the wall space for such a line. DC has burned the little stores with it's stupid weekly year long events that didn't sell. I'd be livid if I owned a store.

After looking at all of the covers and reading the upcoming titles, I think I am officially done with DC. I am a little curious to see what they have planned for the JSA though.

That is one thing that has been interestingly left out is the "older" heroes like Alan Scott or Jay Garrick.

On another board people are claiming this is less a ground zero reboot and more a "Star Trek Abrams" timeshift, where the #1s will be the point to which things were screwed up therefore creating a new continuity.

It should be interesting to see once all the cards are on the table how this goes but the first issue of Justice League is $3.99 both in print and digital. They'll be selling a digital/print combo pack for $4.99 at shops as well for those who want both. The "Hold the Line at $2.99" is on hold until 4 weeks after JL because of "oversized" issues.

Why the hell would anyone pay $3.99 for a digital copy of a comic book when they can get the real deal for the same price and actually own something tangible? :dunno

Some more info:

Letter to Retailers said:
With The New DCU – the September launch of our 52 #1s – we have created an event that we believe will generate unprecedented buzz, and, more importantly, unprecedented sales results for you. This is a shock to the system, no question, but we have the quality stories and the unrivaled sales/marketing support and the increased public attention to help you best absorb that shock and profit from it.

As a follow-up to my first letter, we wanted to provide some immediate specifics on September:

CONTENT
We know that you want more details on the creative teams and their title-by-title assignments for the launch. . (And by the way, let me just reiterate this point: this is the launch of the New DCU. It is not a “reboot.” I think you will soon discover why that is.) We will send you an e-mail with more creative details next week, as a teaser in advance of the solicitation copy for Previews going live on the 13th. Once solicit copy is released, we will be sending you a short introductory video, starring our creators and our content. We will also be taking this act on the road, for a series of retailer meetings in markets including New York, Dallas/Fort Worth, Baltimore, Chicago, and Los Angeles, during the days leading up to the release of the physical Previews catalog. Stay tuned for more details, and send us a note to make sure you’re on the invite list.

DIGITAL
To clarify from my last note, we will be at “price-parity” for same-day digital. No DC digital comic will be cheaper than its physical counterpart at launch. Same-day (a.k.a. “Day/ Date”) parity pricing is for the first four weeks of release; thereafter, the digital titles will follow our standard pricing, with $2.99 comics dropping in price to $1.99, $3.99 comics dropping in price to $2.99, and so forth. Keep in mind that our goal with our 52 new #1s will be to ensure that the physical comic book is more compelling than ever!

Additionally, we will be offering you an additional special “combo pack” for Justice League. This is a Diamond-exclusive $4.99 physical polybagged JUSTICE LEAGUE comic which will contain a redemption code for a digital copy on the inside cover. So consumers will have three main ways to read Justice League beginning August 31st – $3.99 physical, the $4.99 combo pack, and $3.99 digital. As mentioned above, after four weeks the digital-only price drops to $2.99, per our standard price for oversized digital titles.

INCENTIVES
For optimal sales impact, each of our 52 titles will have one of three distinct incentives:

a) Variants
For variants, we chose our core iconic titles, the ones that you tell us your consumers want most. And of course, we sought out those titles with the most compelling visuals. At a minimum, this variant plan will be offered for September, October, and November. We will be offering variants on five different titles, with at least one each week.

· 1:25 variant
JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 - 8/31 in-store. This cover will have a 1:25 ordering incentive.

· Weekly targeted variant
FLASH #1 - 9/28 in-store. Retailers may order at FOC up to as many copies of the FLASH #1 variant as were ordered at FOC of their lowest-ordered DCU title for the 9/28 in-store week. (This is an example; each week will feature a title with a variant following this incentive pattern.)

b) Deep Discounting
For deeper discounts, we chose to spotlight potential break-out titles which can help you focus your staff and your customers. Books that have a compelling creator, an obvious jumping-on point for your readers, etc. We will be offering an additional 15% discount on six different titles for orders placed by FOC, effectively giving you a 50% to 72% discount spread, instead of our normal 35% to 57% spread. At a minimum, this deep discounting will be offered for September, October, and November. The lead title is WONDER WOMAN with five others that will be announced next week.

c) Returnability
We are backing up our commitment to you and this launch, by putting our copies where are mouths are. We will be offering 100% Returnability on all of the remaining 41 titles. Returnability across the rest of the 52 allows the breadth of these titles to get their fair chance with your consumers. This comes with a qualifier – your total post-FOC September orders in dollars for DC periodicals must be 125% or more of your May post-FOC orders for DC periodicals.

As with prior returnable programs, qualifying retailers will be required to return stripped covers from the returnable issues along with an affidavit of destruction to Diamond Comic Distributors at a date to be named later. Retailers will then be issued credit for each copy, minus 10% of the cover price. At a minimum, this returnability program will be offered for September, October, and November.

Call or e-mail me or my team with any questions.

Thank you for your enthusiasm, your patience, and your partnership. Come make history with us!

Bob Wayne

DC COMICS

Interesting that they are trying to get shops to take all 52 titles and display them out by giving the opportunity to have the unsold ones returned. I also it find it interesting that they stick on the number 41 (do they think only 11 titles will sell out completely?). That means a lot of DC on the shelves at LCSs overshadowing Marvel at least at first.

Some more info:

Interesting that they are trying to get shops to take all 52 titles and display them out by giving the opportunity to have the unsold ones returned. I also it find it interesting that they stick on the number 41 (do they think only 11 titles will sell out completely?). That means a lot of DC on the shelves at LCSs overshadowing Marvel at least at first.

Gonna be a hard sell. :lol

You think in all their infinite wisdom, they'd offer some incentive for readers to actually pick these up. :cuckoo:

Some more info:

Maybe its like a Star Trek thing. I know Flashpoint is a time travel/ altered timeline story. Back in time, altered timeline, etc.

I'm kinda pumped about this actually. Comic universes are so complicated that they seem to need to wipe the slate every 30-years or so. I wasn't interested during the 1986 reboot, so this will be interesting.

SnakeDoc

I am happy about this however: print and digital combo packs....

With the announcement earlier this week of the relaunch of the DC Universe in September, DC Comics also announced that digital versions of their comic books would be releases the same day as their printed counterparts. Today DC Comics revealed that they'll be releasing combo packs, which will allow readers to enjoy both the printed and digital versions for one small price.
Those who want a physical copy of JUSTICE LEAGUE to read and collect, as well as the ability to download it onto their favorite device for easy transport, get ready. Each print edition of the comic book and an individual code for digital download will be wrapped in a poly bag and available for $4.99. Separately, the standard version will retail for $3.99 and the digital version will retail for $3.99.
"As we continue to expand our readership and make our titles more accessible to readers everywhere, we're excited to provide our comic shop retail partners and their consumers with multiple formats of JUSTICE LEAGUE in one convenient place," said John Rood, EVP Sales, Marketing and Business Development.

Not only will Johns and Lee be collaborating for the first time, but their contemporary take on the origin of the comic book industry's premier superhero team will be available in DC Comics' historic first comic book combo pack.

Both digital and print editions of DC's comics will have parity pricing for the first four weeks of release; thereafter, the digital titles drop in price down to our standard 1.99 digital price point. Oversized issues, including JUSTICE LEAGUE #1, will start at $3.99 and drop to $2.99 after four weeks.

In a letter to comic book retailers DC's Bob Wayne explained...
To clarify from my last note, we will be at "price-parity" for same-day digital. No DC digital comic will be cheaper than its physical counterpart at launch. Same-day (a.k.a. "Day/Date") parity pricing is for the first four weeks of release; thereafter, the digital titles will follow our standard pricing, with $2.99 comics dropping in price to $1.99, $3.99 comics dropping in price to $2.99, and so forth. Keep in mind that our goal with our 52 new #1s will be to ensure that the physical comic book is more compelling than ever!
"Justice League #1" will hit shelves on August 31, with the new (post-Flashpoint) DC Universe titles being released in September.

Sorry if this has been posted

In a letter to comic book retailers DC's Bob Wayne explained...
To clarify from my last note, we will be at "price-parity" for same-day digital. No DC digital comic will be cheaper than its physical counterpart at launch. Same-day (a.k.a. "Day/Date") parity pricing is for the first four weeks of release; thereafter, the digital titles will follow our standard pricing, with $2.99 comics dropping in price to $1.99, $3.99 comics dropping in price to $2.99, and so forth. Keep in mind that our goal with our 52 new #1s will be to ensure that the physical comic book is more compelling than ever!
"Justice League #1" will hit shelves on August 31, with the new (post-Flashpoint) DC Universe titles being released in September.

Sorry if this has been posted

Wait they are releasing post flash stuff in September? That will be more then 52 comics right? That is more confusing they just need to nip it in the bud when they do the reboot. Who will care about flashpoint at that point?

It surprises me to some extent just how close minded, some of you guys are. All we've seen is covers and concepts and it's already a "FAIL"?

Whatever the DCUn turns out to be cannot get any worst than whats on the shelves right now. Personally, I'm tired of a "walking" Superman, a Wonder Woman who doesn't know who she is (let alone readers), multiple Batmans, and more earths and realities than you can shake a Batarang at. I'm excited- and I'm in for whatever DC has in store as long as it's a good yarn and entertaining. My world will not stop spinning because Superman no longer has red underpants.

I've read the digital version of some comics. It doesn't feel the same for me. Turning a page, holding something in between the hands. Seeing two full pages and sneaking pics on the coming panels. Just not the same.

It surprises me to some extent just how close minded, some of you guys are. All we've seen is covers and concepts and it's already a "FAIL"?

Whatever the DCUn turns out to be cannot get any worst than whats on the shelves right now. Personally, I'm tired of a "walking" Superman, a Wonder Woman who doesn't know who she is (let alone readers), multiple Batmans, and more earths and realities than you can shake a Batarang at. I'm excited- and I'm in for whatever DC has in store as long as it's a good yarn and entertaining. My world will not stop spinning because Superman no longer has red underpants.

While I can't speak for anyone else the problem I see with this re-launch re-boot whatever they want to call it is that DC for a while now has been telling crap stories. So instead of focusing on what they have and just getting great creative teams on board and telling great stories they are just saying hey we'll start from the beginning. The same creators will be working on these new tittles they may not be on the same books as before but they will still be handling the new DCU. So why should anyone be excited? I mean the books that are good right now that people are enjoying won't be around in the same fashion come September that's why I'm not looking forward to this re-launch. Another problem is that all of these characters were created ages ago by alot of different people and over the ages varying artists have changed and modified the looks of these characters to bring us what we have now. Instead come September we have an entire Universe as designed by Jim Lee, he's a fantastic artist but again his style his tastes will be the entire universe its no longer this diverse universe that was crafted by many people it's now a universe created by Jim Lee and editorial mandates. It doesn't feel natural it feels like an attempt by Warner Brothers to turn the DCU into a giant marketing tool and branding all their property so they can make tons of money off it.

I think it's funny that all the fanboys are screaming "FAIL" and running rampant in the streets. :panic: :panic: :panic:

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store for some of my favorite heroes. Only time will tell if that move pans out.

Probably because it's already been proven that it doesn't work and most of us don't need to experience it a second time to determine that it doesn't. Did you miss the whole Heroes Reborn BS?

Probably because it's already been proven that it doesn't work and most of us don't need to experience it a second time to determine that it doesn't.

So then should DC as a company just sit there and let the industry crumble around it and not try something, anything, to save itself? should they just quit trying and stick with a broken formula?

Did you miss the whole Heroes Reborn BS?

Thankfully yes I did :lol

While I can't speak for anyone else the problem I see with this re-launch re-boot whatever they want to call it is that DC for a while now has been telling crap stories. So instead of focusing on what they have and just getting great creative teams on board and telling great stories they are just saying hey we'll start from the beginning. The same creators will be working on these new tittles they may not be on the same books as before but they will still be handling the new DCU. So why should anyone be excited?

While agree with you to some extent, I think this creator shake up will be a good thing. Yes we have the same creators, but they will be working on different characters that they might not have worked on before therefor challenging them, getting them out of their comfort zone, working with new artists. I think alot of very good stories can come from that type of creative excitement.

Another problem is that all of these characters were created ages ago by alot of different people and over the ages varying artists have changed and modified the looks of these characters to bring us what we have now. Instead come September we have an entire Universe as designed by Jim Lee, he's a fantastic artist but again his style his tastes will be the entire universe its no longer this diverse universe that was crafted by many people it's now a universe created by Jim Lee and editorial mandates. It doesn't feel natural it feels like an attempt by Warner Brothers to turn the DCU into a giant marketing tool and branding all their property so they can make tons of money off it.

Lee didn't design all the costumes by himself, so it's not 100% Jim Lee DCU and while Lee helped redesign the costumes, he is not penciling or writing them, lots of artist and writers will be handling these characters so people from all walks of life will still be working on these characters. Also a costume does not a character make, meaning the essence of that particular character will still be there, albeit tweaked some. Comic book characters change costumes frequently, some work and some don't, but the character wearing the costume hopefully remains the same.

Geeks (me included) fear change, especially when it comes to character we've emotionally invested in for years and years, but the comic book industry needs a good, solid kick in the pants and I'm excited because DC actually has the balls to try something new. Things the way they are now are not working as a whole and sagging sales and disappearing LCS are all the proof I need. Despite multi-million dollar movies and other media, it's clearly not translating to new customers in LCS which bottom line is what the industry desperately needs. All I'm saying is to reserve judgement till you actually have a physical (or digital) book in your hands, read it, and then decide if it's a "FAIL" or not. :peace

Last edited:
Back