DC RELAUNCHING entire Universe in September

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Rebooting entire Universe in September

This whole thing also speaks to who the core audience is. You mean to tell me that after all these years Jim Lee still has to pick up a pencil to make this project semi-okay and tolerable in the eyes of the established old time readers?

So then should DC as a company just sit there and let the industry crumble around it and not try something, anything, to save itself? should they just quit trying and stick with a broken formula?

They're taking the easy way out of trying to fix current problems. It's not trying. It's giving up and starting over. They need to go back to the drawing board, figure out what's worked over the years, what hasn't, fire some of the egomaniacs that're ____ing up the properties, and pick up the pieces. Aquaman loosing a hand was a perfect example of how to add to the current character without completely erasing everything beforehand.

Thankfully yes I did :lol

Well, you're about to experience what the rest of us did when Marvel "rebooted" Cap, Thor, Hulk, etc. It failed miserably, backfired, and had them sprawling in a panic for a way to reincorporate the heroes back into the universe and back into continuity. Expect there to be some huge, dumb crossover event that'll obliterate this current BS and return all the heroes to their previous book numbers, costumes, etc. The irony is, Jim Lee was at the heart of Heroes Reborn, so he should know full well what happened last time.

They're taking the easy way out of trying to fix current problems. It's not trying. It's giving up and starting over. They need to go back to the drawing board, figure out what's worked over the years, what hasn't, fire some of the egomaniacs that're ____ing up the properties, and pick up the pieces. Aquaman loosing a hand was a perfect example of how to add to the current character without completely erasing everything beforehand.

Isn't that exactly what they're doing though? Getting rid of everything that hasn't worked and building from what has from an accessible point for new fans? With 75+ years of continuity to contend with, how exactly does one "pick up the pieces"? where would you even start? :dunno

Well, you're about to experience what the rest of us did when Marvel "rebooted" Cap, Thor, Hulk, etc. It failed miserably, backfired, and had them sprawling in a panic for a way to reincorporate the heroes back into the universe and back into continuity. Expect there to be some huge, dumb crossover event that'll obliterate this current BS and return all the heroes to their previous book numbers, costumes, etc. The irony is, Jim Lee was at the heart of Heroes Reborn, so he should know full well what happened last time.

:lol I know what HR is and what it did Nam, I skipped it by choice. IMHO, HR and Flashpoint/DCUn are totally separate animals. As per usual, we'll agree to disagree Nam.

Isn't that exactly what they're doing though? Getting rid of everything that hasn't worked and building from what has from an accessible point for new fans? With 75+ years of continuity to contend with, how exactly does one "pick up the pieces"? where would you even start? :dunno

I go back to my Aquaman reference. Or even when Bane entered the picture. You can do things to make the books interesting again without having to just erase it all. That's the easy way out.

I'll mostly buy the "print only" versions, but in some cases will definitely buy the combo versions. Last month I downloaded THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS to my ipad, and it was a real kick reading it digitally. Any new Kelley Jones Bat-limited series I will absolutely get in both hard copy and digital.

I applaud them for having the balls that Marvel didn't back in 2000. I also applaud them for sticking (so far) to the their guns and saying this is a permanent thing but you have to admit after going through Infinite Crisis, then 52, then Blackest Night, then Brightest Day, War of the Supermen, the Wonder Woman debacle, Batman RIP, Fight for the Cowl, Return of Bruce Wayne, Batman Inc, War of the Green Lanterns and having fans stick through a ton of changes just for the sake of changes and original attempts to keep things new that something like Flashpoint which could (we don't know the extent yet) wipe out something like 15 years of stories by some folk's estimations does sting a bit.

If this works, it may be awesome. If not it'll just lead to another event to undo it and really we will have left off with just a momentary break from walking Superman and multiple Batmen. We don't know who the characters are as there are even some who are saying Superman, Wonder Woman look so young because it might not be Clark and Diana but either way it's one hell of a leap of faith DC is asking us to take even after Marvel's half-assed attempt of the Ultimates universe went from huge epic success to unraveled failure to rebooted mess. At least they had a basic universe left untouched. If this doesn't work, the entire DCU suffers.

I'm in it. The nerd in me is too excited with the prospect that it will work or fail. It's like knowing there might be a car accident and still waiting to watch. You have to admit even as the strongest DC fan that rebooting an entire universe which just recently set up the multiverse back only to 52 titles, some including the Wildstorm universe and expecting it all to sail and soar is optimistic at best. If even half those titles fail what happens to those characters? The fact that C-tiered characters are getting #1 titles while Legacy characters like ____ Grayson and Donna Troy seem to be getting ____ed in the ass. Screams more gimmick than anything else....

A Round up of what we know so far:

They’ve been here for years. And… well, you can make up the rest yourself. Here’s an updated list of Bleeding Cool’s (Don’t Call It A) Reboot Stories:

DC Relaunch “Not A Reboot” – Holding The Line, Variants, 72% Discounts

He promises a retailer tour from DC Comics across the US. That DC will after all hold the line at $2.99 on print and digital, dropping to $1.99 digital after four weeks, with $3.99/$2.99 on oversized issues. And that from September to November there will be variant covers on five iconic titles a month , at least one a week, including Justice League #1 and Flash #1, up to 72% retailer discount on six specifically chosen titles a month, including Wonder Woman #1 with full returnability on all the rest – 41 titles a month, giving retailers the ability to order more with less risk. And… oh I don’t know why I’m saying all this, I’ll let Bob do it. Bob?

DC Announces Justice League #1 Print Or Digital For $3.99 – $4.99 For Both

DC Comics has announced that the oversized Justice League #1 by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee will be available as a print-and-digital edition for $4.99, as well as separately in digital and print for $3.99 respectively.

DC Relaunch: The Look Of Firestorm

BLEEDING COOL HAS BEEN ASKED TO REMOVE THE CHARACTER DESIGN IMAGE OF FIRESTORM. HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT WHILE YOU HAD IT.

DC Relaunch: Duane Swierczynski And Batman

Bleeding Cool understands that novelist Duane Swierczynski will be writing a Batman ongoing comic for DC, with issue 1 starting in September. Whether that’s with Greg Capullo or not, I don’t know.

Ten Issue Ones Announced For DC Relaunch

And so it begins.

DC Relaunch: Teen Titans #1

Thanks to this post and this art tease, we know that Brett Booth is the artist on DC’s Teen Titans #1, relaunching in September. And as we’d said – and Kiel Phegley, News Editor of CBR appears to have got wrong – Fabian Nicieza is not the writer.

DC Relaunch: Batwoman #1

Well that makes a little more sense now, I guess. Batwoman #1 in September by JH Williams III?

DC Relaunch: Detective Comics #1 and Batman #1

Would it be too much to suggest that one is for Detective Comics #1 and the other is for Batman #1?

DC Relaunch: Grifter #1

Bleeding Cool understands that the DC Relaunch will also bring back a number of Wildstorm titles, as part of the new DC Universe.

DC Relaunch: My Greatest Adventure #1

Well now we know where the remaining six chapters will appear. In the last issue of Weird Worlds, out today, it states that two strips, the aforementioned Tanga and Aaron Lopresti’s Garbageman will appear in… My Greatest Adventure #1.

DC Relaunch: OMAC #1 Additional

In yesterday’s Flashposts, Bleeding Cool posted a piece about a new OMAC #1, noting that there was a piece of art by Scott Kolins floating about to that effect. Well it turns out that’s true. But the creative team on the book? Co-publisher Dan DiDio and Keith Giffen.

DC Relaunch: DC Women To Wear Trousers

I understand that there is an editorial edict for the DC Comics superlaunch that their female superheroes wear more… practical clothing. So Wonder Woman gets to keep her trousers. But the likes of Supergirl will be redesigned so they aren’t running around in a little skirt flashing their panties at every available opportunity either. Female superhero characters will have their legs covered.

DC Relaunch: Batgirl #1 and Nightwing #1 UPDATE

What will be different this time is that the book will star Barbara Gordon as Batgirl.

Flashpost: The Morning After The Night Before (UPDATE) Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

UPDATE: We’ve been told that Teen Titans #1 is not written by Fabian Nicieza. By someone who seems to know…

Flashpost: The Issue One Renumbering Of The DC Universe

Every comic continuing from September will be relaunched with a shiny #1. Every. Single. One. With no current plan for the renumbering to reverse to any so-called “legacy” numbering.

And with those issue one renumberings, will come a new rejigged status quo. And yes, characters will be changed. Some may no longer exist. There will be new books, new creators, new teams, new characters and new… new. With no current plan for the new status quo to be undone or reversed.

Flashpost: Geoff Johns And Jim Lee’s Justice League #1

It will feature Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and several other characters following the current Flashpoint crossover. It’s the return of the World’s Greatest Superheroes to the book for the first time in years.

Flashpost: Edge

Bleeding Cool has already talked about the Dark coming to the DC Universe after Flashpoint, including something called Justice League Dark. But Bleeding Cool hasn’t, until now, said anything about the Edge.

Flashpost: Deadman To Star In Adventure Comics #1

In September, along with everything else, Bleeding Cool has been told to expect a new Adventure Comics #1. And a new lead, namely the recent star of Brightest Day, Deadman. Alive, dead, somewhere in between, a new status quo for Boston Brand or something very different, I have no idea. Yet. Though I’m hearing of Ryan Sook involvement in some fashion…

Flashpost: DC Confirms Full Reboot: September Brings 52 First Issues and Day and Date Digital

On Wednesday, August 31st, DC Comics will launch a historic renumbering of the entire DC Universe line of comic books with 52 first issues, including the release of JUSTICE LEAGUE by NEW YORK TIMES bestselling writer and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and bestselling artist and DC Comics Co-Publisher Jim Lee. The publication of JUSTICE LEAGUE issue 1 will launch day-and-date digital publishing for all these ongoing titles, making DC Comics the first of the two major American publishers to release all of its superhero comic book titles digitally the same day as in print.

Flashpost: Bob Wayne Talks To Retailers About Day-And-Date Digital

To our comics retail partners, In the time I’ve worked at DC Comics, I’ve witnessed any number of industry defining moments. But today, I bring you what is perhaps the biggest news to date.

Flashpost: The New Superman #1

In Superman #1, launching in September, we will see what appears to be a new uniform for Superman. Based on the usual style, but more segmented with scores, seams or raised lines running across and around his arms, legs and torso. Kneepads as part of a segmented bulky boot. And a belt that reflects the Superman shield shape. And involvement in some form by George Perez. I’m also told Rags Morales may be involved with Action Comics #1.

Flashpost: A New Multi-Colour Lantern Team Book

In September, Bleeding Cool has been told to expect a new Green Lantern team book, made up of one member from each of the differing Lantern emotional colour spectrum. Green, Yellow, Red, Blue, Indigo, Violet, Orange…. and Black?

Flashpast: Brian Clevinger Dropped From Firestorm Before You Even Knew He Was On It

Amongst the new books and new creators for September, was to have been 8-Bit Theater, Atomic Robo and Marvel Adventures writer Brian Clevinger, working on a new Firestorm comic for DC Comics. And I was going to tell you about it today.

Flashpost: Legion Lost #1

In September, along with all the new issue one relaunches, Bleeding Cool has been told to expect a new Legion Of Superheroes series, Legion Lost.

Flashpost: OMAC #1

I’m told that one of them may well be OMAC #1, with some involvement by big OMAC fan, Scott Kolins.

Flashpost: The Hooking Up Of Superman And Wonder Woman Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

Okay, out of all the post-Flashpoint stories I’m running, this is the one on the least firm foundations. But, if true, will have the biggest multi-media implications. I’m told that Superman and Wonder Woman will be getting together. In a very media friendly fashion, indeed.

Flashpost: Full JLA Art including Flash & Batman Designs, Hawkman #1 With Robinson & Tan, Birds Of Prey #1 Without Gail Simone?

Still not done quite yet. The full version of that Jim Lee JLA art has emerged over the past couple hours. I first saw it from the sharp-eyed DC Women Kicking Ass, it may have first surfaced in this IGN story. CBR’s Kiel Phegley has a good article that starts to fill out some emerging details of the story, and is reporting that the new Birds of Prey series will not be written by Gail Simone. He has some other excellent info about possible creator lineups as well so go check that out. Also of note, the new Hawkman series by James Robinson and Philip Tan, and Aquaman series by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis that we’ve reported on here recently are part of the September reboot.

Last edited:

Green Lantern news (warning - possible War of the Green Lantern spoilers):

https://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32612

www.comicbookresources.com said:
DC Comics Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns announced plans this morning for the publisher to release a total of four Green Lantern-based titles as a part of their line-wide relaunch in September.

According to Johns, who will write the "Green Lantern" title, three other series will debut with #1 issues, including a relaunched "Green Lantern Corps," "Green Lantern: The New Guardians" and the previously announced "Red Lanterns."

Johns declined to give much in the way of specific details about the new series, save for the fact that Hal Jordan will remain a Lantern, as will Kyle Rayner, who will be at the heart of the "New Guardians" title, and Guy Gardner and John Stewart, who will star in "Green Lantern Corps."

The series creative teams are:

"Green Lantern" will be written by Johns with art by Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy

"Green Lantern Corps" is written by current series writer Peter J. Tomasi with art by Fernando Pasarin and Scott Hanna

"Green Lantern: The New Guardians" is written by Tony Bedard with Tyler Kirkham and Batt handling art.

"Red Lanterns" will be written by Peter Milligan with Ed Benes and Rob Hunter illustrating.

UPDATED: DC Comics has released full solicitation information for the four GL titles.

GREEN LANTERN #1

Geoff Johns has been charting the adventures of Hal Jordan and the GREEN LANTERN Corps since GREEN LANTERN: Rebirth, collaborating with such major artists as Ethan Van Sciver, Darwyn Cooke, Prentis Rollins, Marlo Alquiza and Mick Gray.

This fall, Johns reunites with artists Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy, as the series begins anew with GREEN LANTERN #1 with cover by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado. Together they will continue to thrill readers and expand the Green Lantern mythos.

Change is coming. But set aside your fear. It’ll be worth the wait.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1

When deadly conflicts emerge across the universe, it’s up to Guy Gardner, John Stewart and an elite Green Lantern strike force to keep the peace.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1 will be written by Peter J. Tomasi with art by Fernando Pasarin and Scott Hanna. The cover to #1 is by Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy.

GREEN LANTERN: THE NEW GUARDIANS #1

Who are The New Guardians?

The power of Rage, Avarice, Fear, Will, Hope, Compassion and Love combine to be the most powerful (and colorful) team in the corps under the leadership of Kyle Rayner. Beware their power . . . and their volatility!

GREEN LANTERN: THE NEW GUARDIANS #1 will be written by Tony Bedard and illustrated with cover by Tyler Kirkham and Batt.

RED LANTERNS #1

Going solo. Atrocitus and his Red Lantern Corps return in their own series, battling against injustice in the most bloody ways imaginable. This Lantern Corps takes no prisoners, they are judge, jury and executioners!

RED LANTERNS #1 will be written by Peter Milligan with art and cover by Ed Benes and Rob Hunter.

I really like the way the new GL books sound. It sounds like they're each going to have their own unique personality this time around rather than just be 3 GL books.

As for the rest of it, Mike's analogy summed it up best for me:

It's like knowing there might be a car accident and still waiting to watch.

I don't know what titles I'll pick up, but I'll definitely be dipping my toes in a couple new titles when this all goes down.

Thanks for posting those blurbs Mike and Kabukiman. :D

Some of those changes at DC sound very interesting...especially this one;

DC Relaunch: DC Women To Wear Trousers

I understand that there is an editorial edict for the DC Comics superlaunch that their female superheroes wear more… practical clothing. So Wonder Woman gets to keep her trousers. But the likes of Supergirl will be redesigned so they aren’t running around in a little skirt flashing their panties at every available opportunity either. Female superhero characters will have their legs covered.

This confuses the hell out of me. You've got all 4 GLs running around despite the fact that they were all introduced at different times with different circumstances. So either their origins are revamped to somehow introduce them all at the same time or this reboot is less "bold move to revitalize the DCU!" and more "Here is another gimmick!"

This confuses the hell out of me. You've got all 4 GLs running around despite the fact that they were all introduced at different times with different circumstances. So either their origins are revamped to somehow introduce them all at the same time or this reboot is less "bold move to revitalize the DCU!" and more "Here is another gimmick!"

12893-620x-THATS_A_BINGO.jpg

The motive is to sell more books. It's just another gimmick to get more readers. Buying into the BS they keep spouting is just detouring readers from that actual motive.

So far we have:

01. Justice League
02. Wonder Woman
03. Aquaman
04. The Fury of Firestorm
05. The Savage Hawkman
06. Green Arrow
07. Justice League International
08. Captain Atom
09. Mister Terrific
10. DC Universe Presents
11. Green Lantern
12. Green Lantern Corps
13. Green Lantern: The New Guardians
14. Red Lanterns
15. Superman
16. Batman
17. Detective Comics
18. Action Comics
19. Omac
20. My Greatest Adventure
21. Grifter
22. Batgirl
23. Nightwing
24. Legion Lost
25. Teen Titans
26. Justice Society of America
27. Birds of Prey
28. Vigilante
29. Batwoman
30. Edge

That's more than half the titles announced so far.

Last edited:

I never caught the original or the rebooted Vigilante. Apparently this new one will have Cassandra Cain, unsure if she was included in the last one.

We don't know if it's ____ Grayson though yet. :lol

Re: DC Rebooting entire Universe in September?

Interesting Tweet from Adam Beechen (courtesy of the GLCMB):

jauw0n.jpg

Back