DC RELAUNCHING entire Universe in September

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Rebooting entire Universe in September

Comic store owners/LCS have been put on notice. The moment that you go digital with same day release you pretty much kill the comics store. Especially if the digital version is cheaper. This is the same comic store that became obsolete as a place to go a discuss comics once the internet came fully alive. Marvel will probably follow suit soon and put the final nail on those geeks that were geeky enough to own a comic book store. Not exactly a fair final fate for the guys that made your product popular enough for you to cash out to focus making multimillion dollar movies.

The reality is most comic shops have closed up by now when the bottom fell out of them in the early 90s. Most shops that are still functioning are more "Nerd Emporiums" where you get comics, shirts, toys, games, etc. Those will still function without much fail, the last few mom and pop's though that have weathered the storm will probably close up with DC's intention of offering digital and print on the same day. Jim Lee though has been huge in pushing DC to go digital. It has been a long time coming.

I think they could bring in readers if they dropped the more dramatic stuff. I'm relatively new to comics, but it seems like crossovers are becoming the norm, where I get the feeling that in the past they were sparing and when it happened they were EPIC. Not this fleeting, crossover that sets up the next crossover.

Johns was quoted about a month ago saying that as far as he is concerned comics need one event after another after another. He made the connection to each arc being like a movie and that people would get bored if something huge wasn't on the horizon. Even said he had three major events lined up, Flashpoint being the first and whatever "Dark" is being the next. Since he is pulling the strings along with Lee I would wager that events are huge to stay in the short term.

Now. Some more info:

Today, it became official: DC Comics will relaunch the majority of its publishing line this September with a wave of new #1 issues starting with "Justice League" by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee. The news comes on the heels of weeks of rumors and speculation about the fate of the DC Universe line and draws even more questions about what else may lay around the bend.

After speaking with multiple sources throughout the industry on the condition of anonymity, CBR News has learned some of the salient details of DC's September roster, starting with the perhaps telling news that the publisher plans to launch a full 52 monthly titles with #1 issues across the month with 13 new titles shipping each week. The number holds some significance for longtime DC readers as 52 is the number of parallel earths making up DC's multiverse, and CBR has confirmed that the #1 launches will be accompanied by a major reboot of continuity with many pieces of DC's current status quo being rewritten and undone including character relationships and even the existence of some cast members.

Included in the 52 series will be:

A new title starring Superman written by Grant Morrison.

Birds of Prey #1 - This new ongoing series will not feature the work of longtime "BoP" writer Gail Simone. In fact, many tried and true approaches to books will be getting a second look at DC in September.

Teen Titans #1 - The new start for the teen team will be written by "Red Robin" scribe Fabian Nicieza.

Justice Society of America #1 - Only one of a number of current titles that will welcome a creative team shift, the future of the original superhero team will apparently not involve current writer Marc Guggenheim.

Wonder Woman #1 - Don't expect the recent changes from writer J. Michael Straczynski to stick when the Amazing Amazon sees another new #1 hit.

Green Lantern #1 - Even with a new #1, Green Lantern remains in Johns' hands, and readers can expect the effects of major crossovers like "Blackest Night" to stay in place moving forward.

Hawkman #1 - While fans have known a "Hawkman" series by James Robinson has been in the works since the writer mentioned it on a panel at New York Comic Con, Bleeding Cool's Rich Johnston has been reporting the rumor that the book will be drawn by "Batman & Robin" and "Outsiders" artist Philip Tan.

Aquaman #1 - No surprises here. The already announced series featuring the sea king by Johns and Ivan Reis will be part of the relaunch wave.

The other seismic shakeup that remains unconfirmed is whether long-standing titles "Action Comics" and "Detective Comics" would also renumber with brand new first issues. However, at this time, CBR has found no confirmation one way or the other on the fate of those titles. DC Comics offered no comment on the above information.

Article: https://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32566

One has put everyone on their ass:

Flashpost: The Hooking Up Of Superman And Wonder Woman
Okay, out of all the post-Flashpoint stories I’m running, this is the one on the least firm foundations. But, if true, will have the biggest multi-media implications.

I’m told that Superman and Wonder Woman will be getting together.

In a very media friendly fashion, indeed.

Or at least it will be a plot point. A possibility. And why?

Because this may be as a result of DC Universe/Flashpoint merged continuity, with a non-married Superman and a non-married Lois Lane. Without a messy divorce, without a deal with the devil and without some kind of memory bomb. That aspect is on more firmer footing.

I’m not sure how it fits what I’ve seen of a rejuvenated Superman. But hey, would a Superman that young expect to be tied down? To Lois or to Wonder Woman? Not counting use of a Golden Lassoo…

So out with the Lois Lane romance because they want to explore the idea of a Superman/Wonder Woman romance.

More art is leaking out. Some Superman ideas:

belt-570x282.jpg

boot.jpg

from the same Bleeding Cool article.

Johns was quoted about a month ago saying that as far as he is concerned comics need one event after another after another. He made the connection to each arc being like a movie and that people would get bored if something huge wasn't on the horizon. Even said he had three major events lined up, Flashpoint being the first and whatever "Dark" is being the next. Since he is pulling the strings along with Lee I would wager that events are huge to stay in the short term.
How sad and cynical that he feels that way. "People would get bored if something huge wasn't on the horizon"? Is that really how people maintain an interest in comics. Or movies, for that matter? Folks can't just enjoy good stories without some "huge," "epic" context around it?

Maybe he's right, but that is just incredibly sad IMO. Seems like the George Lucas mentality with the prequel trilogy. Or Michael Bay's perspective with the Transformers. Just throw enough overwhelming crap at an audience and they'll fail to notice how superficial and unsatisfying it all is underneath.

One thing they can not do is erase history of these characters...

The problem with there always being next huge thing on the horizon is that eventually you run out of huge things, then they just start getting lame.

Give me a good story. It doesn't need to have epic long lasting repercussions.

Or Michael Bay's perspective with the Transformers. Just throw enough overwhelming crap at an audience and they'll fail to notice how superficial and unsatisfying it all is underneath.

Johns' writing has always had plotholes, and I am a fan!, but recently he has gone from contradicting old continuities to contradicting himself. I've seen him called the Michael Bay of comics where its all flash and very little substance a few times on various boards.

One thing they can not do is erase history of these characters...

Sure they can. DC does it all the time! :lol

81560-186971-superboy-prime_super.png

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Honestly DC has been out of continuity for a while. It was completely bat____ before Crisis of Infinite Earths and then was cohesive for a bit until suddenly in the 90s you had event after event after event. Hell Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, The Flash, Green Lantern all have at least 6 variations of origins to date with various called "definitive" and a lot outright changing things all together. I can get behind this if it were actually staying but most sites (the ones not afraid to piss off DC) are guessing 6 months to a year tops with this new universe.

I can get behind this if it were actually staying but most sites (the ones not afraid to piss off DC) are guessing 6 months to a year tops with this new universe.
Yeah, if for no other reason than to make a big event out of "the superheroes you know and love, coming back!" type BS.

Wow. Several years ago, Joe Quesada did this kinda thing with Spider-Man. You may remember it as One More Day/Brand New Day. I jettisoned Marvel from my pull list after that because I felt that it was nothing but a slap in the face to long term fans like myself. Hey, I get it. I'm almost 40, I still go to my LCS and get my comics and talk about comics with the shop owner, Dave, who is one of my best friends. DC/Marvel has no plans whatsoever in their future to keep Dave's shop and all the shops out there in business any longer. All the old stuff is and will be converted into trade paper backs anyway. New stuff won't be on paper anymore. They want to go digital and they don't care about older readers like myself. They want the 18-30 crowd who use Ipad or Kindle or a smartphone.

The thing is, my buddy's shop has been there for years and he rarely, rarely gets any new comic book readers who aren't already in their upper 20s. The kids are NOT buying comics. That's what just kills me here. If anything, the kids are at home using Demonoid to torrent any and every comic for free. Just sayin. They sure as hell ain't buying it. And now, DC, who I have followed with almost religious fervor for nearly 30 years, is going to do the exact same thing that made me give up Marvel. ____ that.

I personally don't want younger versions of DC's characters. I grew up in the early eighties reading Batman when he was dark and brooding and kicking ass and was there when The Dark Knight Returns dropped on to us as well as Year One. I was there at ground zero with Byrne's Man of Steel for the definitive version of the modern Superman. Nothing else has supplanted that origin story in my mind. I don't get it. I aged with these characters and so did they, little by little. I called in and deemed Jason Todd expendable too. I can't believe all that history, all those stories will be just dropped just like that. I honestly don't know what will be on my pull list come September.

I called in and deemed Jason Todd expendable too.

They already undid that :lol

Honestly I'll be there for Justice League #1 because I want to see just how different it all will be. 52 title is outrageous so I'll probably nab Superman, The Flash, Batman and GL. Johns is on GL so it probably won't be much different than what we have now. He dropped The Flash, Superman is going to Morrison so I'm in for those rides but I have my doubts on its permanance.

I can get behind this if it were actually staying but most sites (the ones not afraid to piss off DC) are guessing 6 months to a year tops with this new universe.

As much as I like the characters now, I hope that these sites are wrong about quickly reverting back to the status quo. That would mean this experiment would be a failure and that would leave the industry where it is now...with an aging and dwindling fan base.

Considering that superhero movies are very popular now, there is a small window of opportunity to revitalize the comics industry. I don't know if DC's experiment will work but it is better than doing nothing and watching the opportunity pass them by.

I heard this from the owner of my LCS the other day.

Greg Capullo will be drawing Batman...not sure which title it will be though.

capullobatmanlargedesktop.jpg

Last edited:

Sure they can. DC does it all the time! :lol

What I mean in the sense is they can not dramatically reboot there origins. They can change things around and change costumes etc. Even if this is successful it will not make me look at Batman any different. Will it make you think of things differently? Will you forget about 52 or Blackest Night or even the multiverse not existing?

But they did drastically alter the origins and nature of characters over and over. That was what Crisis on Infinite Earths was largely created to deal with (and then Zero Hour, and then Infinite Crisis I guess. . .probably others I've paid less attention to). Of course, the fans don't have to forget what once was, but DC can officially "retcon" that stuff out as if it never existed.

I was hoping for a DC Reboot and a Superman and Wonder Woman romance:yess::yess:

I heard this from the owner of my LCS the other day.

Greg Capullo will be drawing Batman...not sure which title it will be though.

capullobatmanlargedesktop.jpg

The "rebooted" Justice League:

2011-05-31_174243_DC.jpg

Interesting that the Capullo Batman pic has that stupid night-lite while the newly re-designed JLA pic does not.

I'd like to state that we should keep things in perspective and not get too worked up over this gentlemen. It's just funny books after all.

I can't help but wonder and laugh at what would have happened if the interwebs had been around when good ol' Julie Schwartz, God bless his soul "rebooted" the DCU and ushered in the Silver Age all those years ago.

:yess:

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out of the Batverse Morrison.

Pssstt DC, now's a perfect time to sweep "Batman Inc" and everything that came with it quietly under rug. Go ahead, no one is looking!

Hahahaha, perfect comment!

From the "yess", thinking you are a Morrison fan, to the obvious sarcasm following suit. From the start I thought the idea of Batman Inc was preposterous and a dead-end.

This reboot idea is rubbish. have I just been around too long? It seems like they reboot the DC universe every five years. How many reboots have there been since "Zero Hour"? (that was '95 right?)

And these "epic cross-overs" lose their appeal when there's one every year and they run for a year. "No Man's Land" WAS epic but if they do that all the time, it's just one long drawn-out soap. Hmmm, then again soaps ARE successful... but count me out.

I love Jim Lee's artwork but this reboot thing... one too any times for my taste. I wasn't looking for a cut-off point but I collect "Red Robin", Batman and Robin", "Batman" and "Detective Comics". If these titles cease to exist or start from number 1 and they change the characters and character realtionships, I likely will feel "screw them".

And lastly, I dislike Dan Didio ever since I heard how he wanted to get rid of ____ Grayson/Nightwing when he first started at DC, because he didn't realize how popular the character was. Sheesh!

Beren

hahaha, my above post was censored...

I meant Richard Grayson... LOL (not that it isn't obvious but yanno.... )

I'm looking forward to this.

Back