DC RELAUNCHING entire Universe in September

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Rebooting entire Universe in September

Pssstt DC, now's a perfect time to sweep "Batman Inc" and everything that came with it quietly under rug. Go ahead, no one is looking!

I got back into reading batman with #700 so not too long ago and read the issue where they started that. I'm not reading those so I didn't notice but I thought it seemed silly. The only other DC series I'm reading is Batman The Dark Knight.

Look, if this was a new series, or another graphic novel or some kind of epic new storyline id be fine. But Really rebooting EVERYTHING and going back to #1 in all titles?? Action Comics is so iconic and legendary becuase its one of the longest running of all time, and its about to reach 1000 thats huge. Same With DETECTIVE COMICS! I mean i can live with the new Costumes, they look modern, hip and cool but that doesnt mean they should do away with the old. Theres alot of room to speculate, The BOMBSHELL Announcment, if this is it, was a flop IMO but im going to buy the comics of course, im going to read them and it sounds fun.

Theres 3 scenarios IMO, or a combo of all A) This is another DC Event that they say will chance the mythos and in 6 months or a year we go back. Someone said DC UNLIMITIED or Ulta w.e.Like i said if this was a new series it be bada$$$.

Or B) This had to deal with The lawsuit with the hiers of SUPERMAN, DC covers there tracks and create THERE OWN, New Superman that is similar but different from the classic the heirs COULD get in 2013. New/Different Origin, Possibly no disguise, or Krytpon? DIfferent Costume and a Nick Cage Superman crest.

Or C) This has to prepare us for the films coming out. Making them more real, human, different costumes and changing up the mythos for newer blood to feed off of the films and comics, and collectables.

Until we know more it could go either very cool, or very bad.

Last edited:

I had such high hopes for that series but I called it from the get go, No way Finch could deliver a monthly title. I liked the 2 issues out though :lol

What I've read so far has been good. No problems from me. Sucks they're not giving it a chance.

Well I hope they don't reset the numbering on the "Batman" monthly or "Detective Comics."

I think a neat little thing about those is the high numbering - it sort of adds strength to the character as an icon and as a permanent fixture of our popular culture. He's defiantly existed for, and thrived within, 70 years of history and cultural evolution, passed on from one generation, to the next, to the next.

The high numbering is a subtle reminder of that, and a point of pride.

Making substantial changes to the stories or the distribution (i.e., digital) is all fine and dandy. But resetting those numbers is ultimately a meaningless move, which would do no good, and would subtly do a bit of harm.

Look, if this was a new series, or another graphic novel or some kind of epic new storyline id be fine. But Really rebooting EVERYTHING and going back to #1 in all titles?? Action Comics is so iconic and legendary becuase its the longest running of all time, and its about to reach 1000 thats huge.

A minor nit, but "Detective Comics" is actually the longest running series of all time. It's older than "Action Comics" by about a year (but Action Comics has a higher number because for a while it was a weekly publication).

But your point still stands, and I agree with it. Everything I said about the high numbering of "Batman" and "Detective Comics" apply to "Action Comics" as well, as far as I'm concerned.

A minor nit, but "Detective Comics" is actually the longest running series of all time. It's older than "Action Comics" by about a year (but Action Comics has a higher number because for a while it was a weekly publication).

But your point still stands, and I agree with it. Everything I said about the high numbering of "Batman" and "Detective Comics" apply to "Action Comics" as well, as far as I'm concerned.

You are right!! ill include Detective in my post :)

EDIT*:slap

Honestly I hate this idea, there is nothing wrong with the DC Universe as it is why they need to reset the thing is beyond me. Unless the previews for the new line really excite me I'll probably just be done with DC all together. Already done with Marvel after the 3.99 price tag came along. I dont see why DC couldn't just do what Marvel did make a septate universe for the younger versions of your heroes. Why take away all that history for what will likely only be a short lived sales boost.

KneelBeforrSmallville posted that this might have to do with lawsuit involving the superman rights and this might of been dead on .
best way to rid of that lawsuit is to just give in and give the seigel their original superman back and just set up your own superman with a new origin, and the whole superman hooking up with wonder woman might have to do with the seigel claiming up the lois character .
so erase lois have supes have a new origin all together and set it up from there, but what about the rest of his history with the DCU, well it gets all screwed up by doing any changes to supes, so just reboot the whole damn thing and while at it make it more modern , change everyones looks, origins since in some ways they were molded around supes in some ways, and while at it set up new villains, heroes and story points to use for the upcoming films , set it all up to allow for new merchandises , and for eventual upgrades to games like DCU online, set ups for new DC animated films and such.

this is a big change but it might be downright needed for DC to keep their first hero alive before the lawsuit comes crashing down to its finale judgement in court. better be ready and take a big head start on it all before its too late, and a year or two is a short time to set things up so that they can keep their comics running without the upcoming bump in the road thats coming with the superman rights lawsuit coming to an end...

Honestly I hate this idea, there is nothing wrong with the DC Universe as it is why they need to reset the thing is beyond me. Unless the previews for the new line really excite me I'll probably just be done with DC all together. Already done with Marvel after the 3.99 price tag came along. I dont see why DC couldn't just do what Marvel did make a septate universe for the younger versions of your heroes. Why take away all that history for what will likely only be a short lived sales boost.

DC sorta tried this with the All Star line which produced a very good All Star Superman and a very bad All Star Batman (though it sold like hot cakes, goes to show you no accounting for taste).

I'm honestly having a hard time working myself up for this, I'm a big DC fan but I've stopped worrying so much about continuity and just hope for a decent storyline. If this is a real reboot and it sticks and the stories that come out of it are good, I'll read it, if the stories are crap, I'll just skip them. I mostly read the fringe stuff , I haven't really followed Batman or Superman or JLA in years.

I'm really interested in seeing who takes over what in terms of creative teams.

Evan

Well I hope they don't reset the numbering on the "Batman" monthly or "Detective Comics."

I think a neat little thing about those is the high numbering - it sort of adds strength to the character as an icon and as a permanent fixture of our popular culture. He's defiantly existed for, and thrived within, 70 years of history and cultural evolution, passed on from one generation, to the next, to the next.

The high numbering is a subtle reminder of that, and a point of pride.

Making substantial changes to the stories or the distribution (i.e., digital) is all fine and dandy. But resetting those numbers is ultimately a meaningless move, which would do no good, and would subtly do a bit of harm.

Which is exactly why, when this fails, they'll go right back to the old numbers.

KneelBeforrSmallville posted that this might have to do with lawsuit involving the superman rights and this might of been dead on .
best way to rid of that lawsuit is to just give in and give the seigel their original superman back and just set up your own superman with a new origin, and the whole superman hooking up with wonder woman might have to do with the seigel claiming up the lois character .
so erase lois have supes have a new origin all together and set it up from there, but what about the rest of his history with the DCU, well it gets all screwed up by doing any changes to supes, so just reboot the whole damn thing and while at it make it more modern , change everyones looks, origins since in some ways they were molded around supes in some ways, and while at it set up new villains, heroes and story points to use for the upcoming films , set it all up to allow for new merchandises , and for eventual upgrades to games like DCU online, set ups for new DC animated films and such.

this is a big change but it might be downright needed for DC to keep their first hero alive before the lawsuit comes crashing down to its finale judgement in court. better be ready and take a big head start on it all before its too late, and a year or two is a short time to set things up so that they can keep their comics running without the upcoming bump in the road thats coming with the superman rights lawsuit coming to an end...

If that were true, Superman would need to be "Significantly different" than what DC's portrayed him as over the years. While marginally different, the Superman shown in pics still looks, and I'm gonna guess acts (powers and all) enough like Superman to make DC still eligible for sue bait. So I really doubt the lawsuit played any role in this.

original costumes or GTFO :lecture

Really? :monkey1

batman-20080327040129691-000.jpg

superman.jpg

I really believe this is "New Coke". It's not expected to be popular, sell some product early and just get every one talking about it. Then they reintroduce what people actually liked and never look back. It was Coca Cola's strategy when they lost the market lead to Pepsi and it worked. Why wouldn't DC try the same thing? Coke regained there market dominance and Time Warner-DC figures they can do the same thing. Obviously I'm speculating but that certainly is what it looks like. Comic fans love continuity the way baseball fans love stats. They know moves like this are never popular in the long term. It's been done over, and over and over again and we always end up pretty much back where we started. I doubt this time will be very different. But they will sell a bunch of issue number 1. They always do.

I really believe this is "New Coke". It's not expected to be popular, sell some product early and just get every one talking about it. Then they reintroduce what people actually liked and never look back. It was Coca Cola's strategy when they lost the market lead to Pepsi and it worked. Why wouldn't DC try the same thing? Coke regained there market dominance and Time Warner-DC figures they can do the same thing. Obviously I'm speculating but that certainly is what it looks like. Comic fans love continuity the way baseball fans love stats. They know moves like this are never popular in the long term. It's been done over, and over and over again and we always end up pretty much back where we started. I doubt this time will be very different. But they will sell a bunch of issue number 1. They always do.

It didn't work for Marvel, and IMO, backfired violently, with the whole Heroes Reborn schtick. Doubt it'll work here for DC. They would've been better off doing what Marvel did with the Ultimates. That way us dinosaurs can enjoy the titles and stories we've been reading for decades, and the new blood can get their e-fix with the new e-books.

DC sees Marvel modernize outfits for Iron Man and Thor so they figure is time for them to jump on the bandwagon.

As good as Jim Lee is I don't know about what we have seen so far. It just doesn't click. His Heroes Reborn Fantastic Four wasn't exactly iconic designs either.

Last edited:

It didn't work for Marvel, and IMO, backfired violently, with the whole Heroes Reborn schtick. Doubt it'll work here for DC. They would've been better off doing what Marvel did with the Ultimates. That way us dinosaurs can enjoy the titles and stories we've been reading for decades, and the new blood can get their e-fix with the new e-books.

Exactly!!:clap

Interesting that the Capullo Batman pic has that stupid night-lite while the newly re-designed JLA pic does not.

The Capullo pic is not a reflection on the new design, it is his interpretation of the "new" Batman Inc Wayne costuming. The Jim Lee designs were kept hush-hush until recently when they were given to their creative teams. We haven't seen the new Batman Capullo drawing yet. Word is that Finch will be receiving a Batman title as well, people are thinking that they'll be a Batman #1 and a Detective Comics #1 and of course 14 heroes in JL drawn by Batman.

A) This is another DC Event that they say will chance the mythos and in 6 months or a year we go back. Someone said DC UNLIMITIED or Ulta w.e.Like i said if this was a new series it be bada$$$.

Johns and Lee are not calling this a reboot despite the changes. Didio isn't calling it that too. From what I can gather it's a starting point where they take everything from the past and weave something idealized. They are claiming that it will have permanance.

B) This had to deal with The lawsuit with the hiers of SUPERMAN, DC covers there tracks and create THERE OWN, New Superman that is similar but different from the classic the heirs COULD get in 2013. New/Different Origin, Possibly no disguise, or Krypton? DIfferent Costume and a Nick Cage Superman crest.

The costume has been related to more of the Superman Returns costuming than anything else, the families own the "S" shield and that hasn't changed. The change in origins could be taken into account but I seriously doubt it. We'll find out in September but I have a feeling that we'll see Krypton and Jor-El and the whole deal there.

C) This has to prepare us for the films coming out. Making them more real, human, different costumes and changing up the mythos for newer blood to feed off of the films and comics, and collectables.

This is the leading thought that by setting everyone back to zero that they can use the new origins as a way to get more heroes on both screens. Not all comics will start out at origins, some will be told throughout the run but supposedly things are being adjusted across the board.

Both Action Comics and Detective Comics will go back to #1

DC sees Marvel modernize outfits for Iron Man and Thor so they figure is time for them to jump on the bandwagon. As good as Jim Lee is I don't know about what we have seen so far. It just doesn't click. His Heroes Reborn Fantastic Four wasn't exactly iconic designs either.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Lee is a fantastic artist but his designs for customings suck. High Collars? For everyone? Even Wonder Woman who has no collar?

More news:

Bleeding Cool said:
Morning, morning, morning, okay, where were we?

Oh that’s right, the relaunch of the DC Universe. Mark Seifert ably held the site together, last night, as Bleeding Cool received its greatest traffic to date, two years to the day after it began.

One theme over the last year at Bleeding Cool has been what DC actions smack of old DC and new DC. I think this is very much a new DC action, not just the rejuvenation of characters and a linewide #1 relaunch, but the complete day-and-day digital sales decision across the DCU. This is a radical major step for such a company and leaves Marvel on the back foot rather. The “retailer incentives” are going to have to be prety big to dissuade their fears and, for once, Marvel may be seen as the retailers’ friend. Bob Wayne, ex-comics retailer and now SVP of Sales has his work cut out for him on this one.

So what else did I hear overnight, aside from everything I’d reported yesterday? A few things. Probably worthy of their own pieces. Okay, I’ll set them up for later today…

But as to that story about the Lois Lane/Clark Kent marriage disappearing, I received more confirmation overnight that this the way things are going, including Superman getting down and jiggy with Wonder Woman. This is your new DC Universe folks!

And I can’t believe I forgot the James Robinson/Philip Tan Hawkman #1 after announcing it last year. Bloody hell, thank you CBR. They seem to be the only other site trying to work outside of DC’s PR schedule on this.

They also report in a manner that reminded me of Lying In The Gutters past, a Grant Morrison Superman book,a new Simone-less Birds Of Prey #1, Teen Titans #1 by Fabian Nicieza, a Guggenheim-less Justice Society Of America #1, Geoff Johns still on Green Lantern #1, and naturally Aquaman #1 by Johns and Ivan Reis.

And yes CBR, Action Comics and Detective Comics are both restarting from #1. That doesn’t prohibit century anniversary titles in the future though.

Looks like John Rozum is writing one of the new books – “I am currently putting together my first issue of a non-supernatural superhero series for DC Comics”

Gail Simone’s culinary tweets have come in for analysis; “The news is true. I WILL be making two sandwiches starting later today. Fantastic, creative sandwiches! Is that what we’re talking about?.. I am psyched about working with the ingredients in my new sandwiches. A delightful mix of new and old meats and cheeses. Mmm. Old meats!… I don’t know what the other chefs are making, but my understanding is that some favorites will still be on the menu…. Holy crap, that Hawkman sandwich by Phillip Tan looks DELICIOUS! Wow!….It’s time for an adventure. Yes, we are walking the high wire. But I suspect the view will be amazing. Come walk with us.”

There are lots more questions to ask, and I’ll be doing so. But the biggest one is… where exactly is Green Lantern’s energy gatling gun coming from here? Looks like rejuventated Hal Jordan doesn’t need any little green pills. Just collars! Raised collars for everyone! Even if, like Wonder Woman, you don’t even have a jacket!

Well, it looks like there will be a new Batgirl #1 amongst the 52 relaunched books in September.

What will be different this time is that the book will star Barbara Gordon as Batgirl.

Currently taking the role of Oracle, Barbara Gordon lost the use of her legs in Killing Joke, but became the Birds Of Prey’s eye in the sky, and was handled defly in that title. There had been some possibility that control over her lower body may be slowly returning.

But who needs to go through several years of physical therapy, when you can get a relaunch! With a rejuvenated Barbara Gordon back in the Batgirl identity with a flick of a switch!

Oh and yes, there’s also a Nightwing #1. That’s all I know about that one.

Morrison's original idea for a Superman reboot:

The key to the initial concept lies in a radical but organic reversal of the currently accepted logic of the Superman/Clark dynamic.

In our interpretation, Clark Kent isn’t what Superman really IS, Clark is what Superman WAS--until he reached his teenage years and began to realize what all those years of soaking up the Kansas sun had done to his alien cells. Superman’s story here is seen as the tale of a Midwest farmer’s son who BECAME AN ALIEN shortly after puberty. Suddenly young Clark doesn’t just know his Ma and Pa through sight, touch, sound--he knows the exact timbre of their pulse rates, he can look at their DNA and recognize their distinctive electrical fields and hear the neural crackle and release of chemicals which tell him they’ve changed their minds about something.

And he can do all this, he can scan the entire environment in an INSTANT, with levels of perception we can only imagine.

That’s gonna turn anyone’s head around a little.

This is someone who by any stretch of the imagination is no longer just human--except for the part of him, the ethical, humanitarian base nurtured by the Kents, which forms the unshakable foundation for everything Superman is BUT WHO IS WHAT SUPERMAN CAN NO LONGER BE. Or, in other words not our own, "...who, DISGUISED as Clark Kent, fights a never-ending battle..."

As originally conceived by Siegel and Shuster, Clark becomes a cherished, poignant masquerade: mild-mannered, thoughtful, humane Clark. When Superman is being human, Clark is his template but this is a being no longer confined by gravity or pain or mortality and his experiences as Superman are experiences on a level of existence we can only hope to imagine.

So, in order to accomplish the transition to this new take on Superman more easily, our rationale is this: it’s been established that Superman’s powers are a result of solar energy saturating his cellular batteries. It’s even been suggested that his powers will increase through time as he absorbs more of our sun’s radiation.

And that’s just what happens.

As part of his alien maturation process, Superman crosses a second, critical threshold of solar radiation absorption and suddenly wakes up three times more powerful and three times smarter.

This changes everything.

Read the rest including his idea for the characters here:https://superman.nu/theages/History/2000/SUPERMAN2000.php

People are thinking that he will be taking some but not all of his Superman from this idea.

Morrison's original idea for a Superman reboot:

The key to the initial concept lies in a radical but organic reversal of the currently accepted logic of the Superman/Clark dynamic.

In our interpretation, Clark Kent isn’t what Superman really IS, Clark is what Superman WAS--until he reached his teenage years and began to realize what all those years of soaking up the Kansas sun had done to his alien cells. Superman’s story here is seen as the tale of a Midwest farmer’s son who BECAME AN ALIEN shortly after puberty. Suddenly young Clark doesn’t just know his Ma and Pa through sight, touch, sound--he knows the exact timbre of their pulse rates, he can look at their DNA and recognize their distinctive electrical fields and hear the neural crackle and release of chemicals which tell him they’ve changed their minds about something.

And he can do all this, he can scan the entire environment in an INSTANT, with levels of perception we can only imagine.

That’s gonna turn anyone’s head around a little.

This is someone who by any stretch of the imagination is no longer just human--except for the part of him, the ethical, humanitarian base nurtured by the Kents, which forms the unshakable foundation for everything Superman is BUT WHO IS WHAT SUPERMAN CAN NO LONGER BE. Or, in other words not our own, "...who, DISGUISED as Clark Kent, fights a never-ending battle..."

As originally conceived by Siegel and Shuster, Clark becomes a cherished, poignant masquerade: mild-mannered, thoughtful, humane Clark. When Superman is being human, Clark is his template but this is a being no longer confined by gravity or pain or mortality and his experiences as Superman are experiences on a level of existence we can only hope to imagine.

So, in order to accomplish the transition to this new take on Superman more easily, our rationale is this: it’s been established that Superman’s powers are a result of solar energy saturating his cellular batteries. It’s even been suggested that his powers will increase through time as he absorbs more of our sun’s radiation.

And that’s just what happens.

As part of his alien maturation process, Superman crosses a second, critical threshold of solar radiation absorption and suddenly wakes up three times more powerful and three times smarter.

This changes everything.

Read the rest including his idea for the characters here:https://superman.nu/theages/History/2000/SUPERMAN2000.php

People are thinking that he will be taking some but not all of his Superman from this idea.

Back