DC RELAUNCHING entire Universe in September

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Rebooting entire Universe in September

Batman looks cool, but he looks older than all of them for some reason.

Superman seems to have an adjusted Returns uniform:

The New Superman #1
In Superman #1, launching in September, we will see what appears to be a new uniform for Superman. Based on the usual style, but more segmented with scores, seams or raised lines running across and around his arms, legs and torso. Kneepads as part of a segmented bulky boot. And a belt that reflects the Superman shield shape. And involvement in some form by George Perez. I’m also told Rags Morales may be involved with Action Comics #1.

And moreover, I’m also told Superman appears younger than we’ve seen him of late, almost Superboyish. Ultimate Superman?

Ethan Van Sciver said:
I wrote to ask DC about how the announcements will be made and I got this in reply from Jim Lee: "The battle plan is to roll out the news in a deliberate way rather than splashing all 52 creative teams and news out there at once. Let them digest the first hit then we have announcements almost every day. Hang tight buddy. We will be calling you soon." So expect a BIG WEEK!

Bleeding Cool said:
A New Multi-Colour Lantern Team Book
In September, Bleeding Cool has been told to expect a new Green Lantern team book, made up of one member from each of the differing Lantern emotional colour spectrum. Green, Yellow, Red, Blue, Indigo, Violet, Orange…. and Black?

Care Bear Stares each and every month! And some kind of Tyler Kirkham involvement.

So...do I really wanna buy any Green Lantern books? It seems ridiculous to start reading them now when the stories aren't going to exist anymore.

I noticed they said in the press release that the digital versions will release on the same date as the print versions. Even more so than the renumbering, this seems significant as it is a major step in the move to change the existing distribution model. I hope that they also take this advantage to lower the prices across the board. In this economy, comics aren't going to attract new fans in the long run if individual issues are any more than 2 bucks a piece.

If August will be the end of everything I'm reading, then I can focus on filling the gaps in my trade paperbacks, and maybe hunt Batman back issues for the rest of my days. I have no problem with that.

Here is the thing...

Whenever you do a reboot you admit defeat in the sense that you let the stories get away from you. You don't need to reboot characters to make them more accessible. You just need to write good stories and stop using crossovers every 6 months to try and trick people to buy other books.

This whole thing just smells of a set up to try and make the properties/characters more movie accessible. Redesign the outfits to stuff that Hollywood actors can wear. What these guys don't realize is that writing stories that appeal to a more modern audience (movie scripts) on monthly comics is a mistake. Your source material has plenty of fantasy and imagination and that's why the stories are so good. You change that and you are killing the rich source of your beloved movie scripts. You can always scale down the fantasy factor for the movies if you need to as Marvel is doing.

Comic store owners/LCS have been put on notice. The moment that you go digital with same day release you pretty much kill the comics store. Especially if the digital version is cheaper. This is the same comic store that became obsolete as a place to go a discuss comics once the internet came fully alive. Marvel will probably follow suit soon and put the final nail on those geeks that were geeky enough to own a comic book store. Not exactly a fair final fate for the guys that made your product popular enough for you to cash out to focus making multimillion dollar movies.

I am surprised this has taken this long for this whole thing to go down. I did not predict a full out reboot. I don't see this succeeding in the long term. Best case scenario you alienate the few long term fans there are (some of us are buying very limited amount of comics). Those mythical new fans DC is fishing for are never going to come. Certainly not at the cost of familiar characters, rich history and veteran readers.

If August will be the end of everything I'm reading, then I can focus on filling the gaps in my trade paperbacks, and maybe hunt Batman back issues for the rest of my days. I have no problem with that.

I thought the end of everything happens in 2012. Or was it a couple weekends ago? I forget.

Oh, DC. You're so crazy!

The ironic "House of Ideas" title now officially transfers over from Marvel to you. Congratulations!

It's in October. Whatshisface made an error in his calculations. He got it fixed now. Screw that 2012 Mayan crap.

While I am never enthusiastic about discarding continuity, let's face it, the comics industry needed to do something drastic. I notice that almost everyone here and at other boards who say that they will be dropping books, state that they were already thinking of doing so. I suspect DC would have lost you as readers with or without this big change...as they and Marvel have been consistently losing readers for awhile now.

DC shows they have major cajones to attempt something like this and I hope this effort will not go to waste because DC forgets to market the event and/or doesn't offer the books at a reasonable price (ie, cheap).

I think they could bring in readers if they dropped the more dramatic stuff. I'm relatively new to comics, but it seems like crossovers are becoming the norm, where I get the feeling that in the past they were sparing and when it happened they were EPIC. Not this fleeting, crossover that sets up the next crossover.

Less frequent crossovers definitely sound good, however, they are hard to resist since they pull in bigger numbers and some media attention. Look at the attention Civil War had 5 years ago. Problem is, crossovers do alienate readers in the long run.

IMO the priority should be about making comics more accessible in every way possible:
1. Cheaper price (2 bucks max with subscription incentives).
2. Easier to find (digital availability versus relying on disappearing local comic shops).
3. Stories that relate to a broad range of people while still keeping the core of what makes the characters work (examples of this type of storytelling can be found in the recent Marvel films)

While I am never enthusiastic about discarding continuity, let's face it, the comics industry needed to do something drastic. I notice that almost everyone here and at other boards who say that they will be dropping books, state that they were already thinking of doing so. I suspect DC would have lost you as readers with or without this big change...as they and Marvel have been consistently losing readers for awhile now.

DC shows they have major cajones to attempt something like this and I hope this effort will not go to waste because DC forgets to market the event and/or doesn't offer the books at a reasonable price (ie, cheap).
Echoing some of what Agent is saying, the main reason I no longer collect comics is an over-reliance on gimmickry like "events" that culminate in some "shocking" death or deaths and/or BS cross-over storylines that force you to buy comics you otherwise wouldn't, otherwise you won't understand what's going on in the comic you really care to read. Engaging in another cheap, gimmick-filled publicity stunt isn't going to pull me back in. Then, there is price. $4 or whatever for half of the amount of comic I got as a kid is hard to swallow. I just pick up used TPBs on the secondary market 90% of the time.

So personally, I just want good stories, few gimmicks, and ideally--cheaper prices (even if that means *gasp* cheaper paper!). But, I'm probably not the target audience for comics nowadays.

this seems like a good idea to set up a movie accessible series , hell even tv shows can be based off of these comics, and it seems that the new issue# 1 are even taking a cue from the now dead wonder woman tv series, with the new look of wonder woman reflecting to some degree the super hated suit from the new series pilot.
overall i stopped reading comics for the most part years ago since well they hard not that easy to find around where i live, an issue resulting in the failing comic book sales .
a reboot might get me interested, since i dont like having to go back and read the whole build up to an event, hell i had to read every tie in to blackest night to understand what was going on and even then i would have had to go back every now and then to understand some moments mentioned.
so starting back up will rid us of having to go back .

one thing that i am hopping that they do this time around ,is to keep the major characters at a place that old and new readers will understand their origins, and since they are keeping every ongoing titles , i am wondering how they will go about that since some characters will not follow tru the change in the dcu.

guess we will have to see who wears the cowl, the shield, the tiara,the ring and the lighting comes reboot time....

Back