DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well DC Direct is still using the license to rerelease BTAS characters with new paint. I don’t think it’s a licensing thing, I think they just don’t care to pursue characters that would likely bomb hard. No one would rush to their LCS to get Rupert Thorne, Sid the Squid or The Clock King (except us). These BTAS inspired figures of new characters actually have people talking about the line again. Just look at how quickly their STAS and JLU lines fizzed out, before they even started.

Are they still making the Jokermobile or was that cancelled?

I think they just don’t care to pursue characters that would likely bomb hard. No one would rush to their LCS to get Rupert Thorne, Sid the Squid or The Clock King (except us).
I’ve been saying the same thing for a few years now. Those 3 you mentioned probably never had much of a chance especially the further into the line we got. Each one would have had to have been mixed into earlier assortments of more popular characters as they were released. I definitely can’t imagine a wave consisting of those three for instance plus maybe someone like Red Claw. They’re all just a little too obscure. As it is I could probably count on one hand the number of viable character choices to be made into figures that actually appeared on the show and even most of them I’m not sure they would sell that well.

These BTAS inspired figures of new characters actually have people talking about the line again. Just look at how quickly their STAS and JLU lines fizzed out, before they even started.
I don’t know about The Adventure Continues figures getting people talking about the line again. It’s not like people stopped talking about the BTAS line until there were no more announced figures left. The Adventure Continues figures are all we have to talk about and a good percentage of the talking hasn’t exactly been positive. I’m sure people would be talking had they announced more characters from the show too even though I understand why we didn’t get any of them. I guess we’ll see if multiple versions of Batman and other characters outside of the cartoon sell the type of numbers DCCs is looking for. I’d like to know more about why DCCs discontinued the STAS and JLU lines. If it was due to lack of sales or not. I’d say it’s not a good sign if you have a hard time selling characters like Superman and Wonder Woman. Can Deathstroke or Talon do any better? I’m really interested in finding out.

I?d like to know more about why DCCs discontinued the STAS and JLU lines. If it was due to lack of sales or not. I?d say it?s not a good sign if you have a hard time selling characters like Superman and Wonder Woman. Can Deathstroke or Talon do any better? I?m really interested in finding out.

The following is stuff I was told or overheard at San Diego Comic Con over the past several years and stuff I pieced together from things Kevin Kiniry and Jim Fletcher said officially, and so should be treated pretty much just as rumors/speculation. Some of this comes from Jim, some of this comes from Kevin, and some of this comes from retailers and toynews types that I chatted with at the Con:
Kevin and Jim were excited for spinoff lines and had plans to start STAS and Batman Beyond lines with individual figures just like the Batman line, but Superman and Lois were put together into one set, Terry, Bruce, and Ace were put together into one set, and the "Girls Night Out" five pack was created because comic shops at the time apparently wanted fewer SKUs to save on shelf space. These were inherently not ordered in large numbers, which isn't great for business, but the Superman and Lois and Batman Beyond packs still sold well enough that they probably could have kept going with STAS and BB lines. When the "Girls Night Out" pack sold poorly, due mostly to customers not wanting to buy a set with three figures they already own just to get two they didn't, that was the nail in the coffin for the spinoff lines, which apparently the bean counters higher up at Warner Bros Consumer Products weren't too keen on anyway, seeing STAS and BB as something that would compete with the Batman Animated line they were already starting to have trouble moving.
The JLU figures were apparently pushed from being retail bound to sold exclusively through DC Universe, gutted of accessories, and the end of that line as soon as it started, in part because of the above, and also due to someone at WBCP taking a more hands on role managing the business end of DCC after Kevin's departure, and deciding that branch of the company should not be investing as heavily as it was in action figures (especially unique sculpts) and should instead emphasize products that can be made cheaper like statues. I heard the only reason they were released at all was because they were already tooled, and Jim was adamant that they be made available to consumers in some way.

Last edited:
From Pixel Dan?s video of DC Direct?s booth it sounds like Clock King and Rupert Thorne are never coming. The rep said they wish they could?ve gotten around to them.

Disappointing to hear.

I get not making Thorne (edit), because it’s basically an old big white guy mobster, what’s he gonna have, a gun? Kind of a boring look for a toy... but I?m convinced Clock King would sell. Clock glasses, give him a spinning pocket watch, normal pocket watch, the minute hand sword thing he used... it would make for a great figure.

Same with Red Claw, Strange, Kyodai Ken, Zeus... I think they would all sell.

They should just make a "BTAS: Duds Collection" line of figures, with Zeus, Red Claw, Alfred's spy friend, the fat "put 'em in 'da box" dude, Mayor Hamilton's son, the werewolf athlete, Tigress, Dr. Milo, etc.

Last edited:
The following is stuff I was told or overheard at San Diego Comic Con over the past several years and stuff I pieced together from things Kevin Kiniry and Jim Fletcher said officially, and so should be treated pretty much just as rumors/speculation. Some of this comes from Jim, some of this comes from Kevin, and some of this comes from retailers and toynews types that I chatted with at the Con:
Kevin and Jim were excited for spinoff lines and had plans to start STAS and Batman Beyond lines with individual figures just like the Batman line, but Superman and Lois were put together into one set, Terry, Bruce, and Ace were put together into one set, and the "Girls Night Out" five pack was created because comic shops at the time apparently wanted fewer SKUs to save on shelf space. These were inherently not ordered in large numbers, which isn't great for business, but the Superman and Lois and Batman Beyond packs still sold well enough that they probably could have kept going with STAS and BB lines. When the "Girls Night Out" pack sold poorly, due mostly to customers not wanting to buy a set with three figures they already own just to get two they didn't, that was the nail in the coffin for the spinoff lines, which apparently the bean counters higher up at Warner Bros Consumer Products weren't too keen on anyway, seeing STAS and BB as something that would compete with the Batman Animated line they were already starting to have trouble moving.
The JLU figures were apparently pushed from being retail bound to sold exclusively through DC Universe, gutted of accessories, and the end of that line as soon as it started, in part because of the above, and also due to someone at WBCP taking a more hands on role managing the business end of DCC after Kevin's departure, and deciding that branch of the company should not be investing as heavily as it was in action figures (especially unique sculpts) and should instead emphasize products that can be made cheaper like statues. I heard the only reason they were released at all was because they were already tooled, and Jim was adamant that they be made available to consumers in some way.

Thanks! I understand it’s rumors but I do recall from a few years back about 50% of what you posted there. The other half is new info to me and helps piece it all together. I had completely forgotten about the situation with that Girls Night Out pack. Not so much it’s actual existence but the fact that it was 3 repeated figures to get 2 new ones. I remember being mad at the time because I thought that was the way DCC was going to go with a bunch of multi packs with previously released figures. Luckily we didn’t get too many of those but it sucks to know that it was a contributing factor in the decline of the line. Good to know that it wasn’t necessarily a problem with sales figures with the STAS and JLU stuff though.

Disappointing to hear.

I get not making Thorne (edit), because it’s basically an old big white guy mobster, what’s he gonna have, a gun? Kind of a boring look for a toy... but I?m convinced Clock King would sell. Clock glasses, give him a spinning pocket watch, normal pocket watch, the minute hand sword thing he used... it would make for a great figure.

Same with Red Claw, Strange, Kyodai Ken, Zeus... I think they would all sell.

Not to enough people. TNBA Penguin probably stood the best chance of being made and even then I’m not sure how well he’d even sell. They want more people than just us to buy these and if it ain’t Batman, Joker, Harley, Batgirl, or Robin a lot of people outside these message boards don’t care. I’d love to have everyone you named but you’d be surprised how many Batman fans out there have no idea whatsoever of who those characters are.

No TNBA Penguin probably stings the worst. Plenty of other holes -- but that is about as classic a Penguin as you could ask for and it leaves a major gap.

Besides, Professor Pyg and Flamingo were mentioned for future

Only after Jim Fletcher said "I would love to continue this line for another ten years. There's so many cool characters you could put in here..." Sounds very much like he's talking about the far future for those two.
So nothing on a STAS Line at TF

:thud:

Somebody needs to ask. I feel like the best bet for STAS, BB, and JLU characters DC Collectibles didn't get to, would be for them to be slipped into this Continuing Adventures line (and probably for them to show up in the comic book).

Last edited:
Can someone explain why they have done a mettalic Joker? Also noticed the armoured batman wasnt showed, has that been cancelled?

Can someone explain why they have done a mettalic Joker? Also noticed the armoured batman wasnt showed, has that been cancelled?
Well, christmas is shiny, metalic red balls and all of that.
I will grab it at a discount, and keep it in the box, just so I can place it in my christmas tree every year.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

I wish the new figures didn't come with the cell shading. It's cool that the re-releases have them for the people that like that look but I wish normal versions would be released first.

I hope they make a redesign on Strange with The Adventure Continues, going forward this one:
maxresdefault.jpg

this design is really bad for me:
latest

(I know this won't happen, but let me dream)

Jim Fletcher was on DC Daily today and said:
1) They have some new Superman sculpts at the office...
2) The TAC line exists to try and drum up the sales to get some of the original characters out that they missed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jim Fletcher was on DC Daily today and said:
1) They have some new Superman sculpts at the office...
2) The TAC line exists to try and drum up the sales to get some of the original characters out that they missed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
**** YEA

jim fletcher was on dc daily today and said:
1) they have some new superman sculpts at the office...
2) the tac line exists to try and drum up the sales to get some of the original characters out that they missed.

Sent from my sm-g960u using tapatalk

Time to buy them all up.

perhaps will we see JLU Joker in this line?

And one question about an old figure.. does Phatasm looks too bulky in hands? I still don't have her and I'm thinking on getting, but on the photos she looks even bulkier than Batman (and, you know, Phatasm is a woman..)

Back