DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

I totally agree!

I understand that sculptors, painters, and other artists at places like Sideshow would prefer to create their own thing than just replicate what another artist has already created, but don't the higher-ups at the company realize they could make MUCH MORE money by faithfully reproducing versions of characters that already exist?

I understand that sometimes licensing issues prevents exact replications, but there's no way that is the main reason behind most of the interpretations offered by Sideshow and others.

CAN I GET AN AMEN?

Across every property ever. I’m interested in faithful reproductions of images from existing media that I love.

An image without a strong narrative attached to it is generally not worth my time or money. It misses the whole point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't it amazing how infrequently we actually get that?

When Batman Beyond figures first came out, Kenner offered just about every color Batman except black. I just wanted an action figure that was authentic to the source material, not translucent blue or zebra striped or urban camo.

I had the chance to ask my contact at WBCP why they didn't offer a Batman Beyond figure that looked like the one on the show. Her response; "There are only so many ways to do black." She was sympathetic but her reply echoed what the manufacturer was hearing from retailers. They want variety, authenticity be damned.

AMEN!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Batman Beyond figures first came out, Kenner offered just about every color Batman except black. I just wanted an action figure that was authentic to the source material, not translucent blue or zebra striped or urban camo.

I had the chance to ask my contact at WBCP why they didn't offer a Batman Beyond figure that looked like the one on the show. Her response; "There are only so many ways to do black." She was sympathetic but her reply echoed what the manufacturer was hearing from retailers. They want variety, authenticity be damned.

That's how I felt when the Batman Forever line of figures came out.

I like to purchase figures based on the shows I like and I like that those figures look the same or almost the same like in the show. What's the point to add special flavor to something that has its unique flavor? If they want to do an reinterpretation of Batman, create a new line of figures from scratch, but don't mess with something that it's already unique and distinctive.

I'd like to see this interview where Todd McFarlane specifically mentions he'll put his own spin on Bruce Timm's designs specifically. I'm not saying it didn't happen. But I'd like to see him say it before we keep going on with this. I did see an interview with that Shartimus putz where Todd said WB told him that in addition to tv, movies, video games, and comics he could also do crazy stuff with DC characters but they might not approve it, in which case he'll make figures based on his own art from when he worked at DC. Again, I'm not saying this other interview doesn't exist, but in this interview he never said he would put his own unique spin on another artist's distinct work, and I would very much like to see where he does.

McFarlane did an outstanding job making figures for the first Shrek movie in 2001.

If that is any indication of what they can do with animated characters... boy, count me in!

Here's another interview with Jim but this time he directly calls the 4 new what-if figures a brand new line. He even seems to go out of his way twice to clarify that they're "inspired by elements of the show" instead of just saying that they're animated. That stuff starts at 3:25.
https://youtu.be/dX9oWl2pNlo

Here's another interview with Jim but this time he directly calls the 4 new what-if figures a brand new line. He even seems to go out of his way twice to clarify that they're "inspired by elements of the show" instead of just saying that they're animated. That stuff starts at 3:25.
https://youtu.be/dX9oWl2pNlo

That's the point imho. Is not the first interview where he say "new LINE", but it seems no one noticed about it xD I think these figures will go out with different package and not numbered like TAS or TNBA line. We'll see, they could even be cancelled, we all know that.

That is true it is a new line, I think most grievance comes from the idea that such resources should of been used to complete one line before starting a new similar one.

Being a new line means you can argue that the animated line is done as we were shown nothing new and with no real concrete statement that it will continue in it's current form by anyone.

That's the point imho. Is not the first interview where he say "new LINE", but it seems no one noticed about it xD I think these figures will go out with different package and not numbered like TAS or TNBA line. We'll see, they could even be cancelled, we all know that.

Makes a lot of sense.

I do think that this new line could be a nice way to supplement our animated collections-if the character choice is good I will be down.

That is true it is a new line, I think most grievance comes from the idea that such resources should of been used to complete one line before starting a new similar one.

Being a new line means you can argue that the animated line is done as we were shown nothing new and with no real concrete statement that it will continue in it's current form by anyone.

Exactly. I see it like some kind of assist at McFarlane toys. Like: "Hey, we stick around doing this new concept/design thing, we drop the ball for TAS and TNBA, use it now you have the license". But that's just my theory xD I guess we're gonna know more in the future. :D I'm just concern about McFarlane doing animated stuff because in my opinion is not good with that style (and I don't like how they do articulations...)

Makes a lot of sense.

I do think that this new line could be a nice way to supplement our animated collections-if the character choice is good I will be down.

I totally agree. McFarlane or DCC this parallel line is a bonus and it just keep the thing alive. In my opinion is a good idea but I'm not sure everybody is interested. DCC is not famous for his marketing chioces, we know that... ^^"

Agreed! The Timm style is popular for a reason. I'll just keep making my customs then...
Speaking of, GL's height can be fixed with a longer neck peg and a slightly taller head. The released one just kinda looks like he was hit on the head by a hammer. haha
2df7ddead488f056f4428855e5a41e90.jpg
551535d0c9da66f675cda28bab9ec49a.jpg
Did you repaint the head or is that a different one? It came out great!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

20190224_153510.jpg
Surprised to score the GCPD Rogues Gallery set at retail with 20% off at a local comic con!

Did you repaint the head or is that a different one? It came out great!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Oh right I forgot to mention that. I did repaint his skin darker, the whites of his eyes smaller, and I painted new eyebrows in. Thanks for the compliment! [emoji846]

Congrats, man! It’s a great set, isn’t it?:rock

Wow you got lucky!!

Thanks! I was surprised when I saw it even at $175, when I told the seller I'll buy it he said he'll give an additional 20% off because it was sitting on his shelf in his comic shop ever since it was released. I love both designs but BTAS>TNBA. I honestly was hoping to find the Batman Beyond set, but this will do.

Back