DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

I’ve really enjoyed reading through this thread and following the development of this line.
The only set I got was their Phantasm set, which I like a lot.
With the release of the Batman Animated series on Blu-Ray I found myself getting drawn back into this excellent series, so... I decided it was time to get this collection off the ground.
I’ve started with the Expression sets. The Batman is cool of course, with the Joker looking better I think, but the most awesome set is Harley. That set is stunning.
I will aim for my favorite villains next: The cool cruel Mr. Freeze and Harvey Two Face.
Nice to finally have some of these in front of me .

As I've stated elsewhere, I really don't think these new figures are part of the Animated line. That may be off limits now due to WBCP's agreement with McFarlane.

The new figures are more like Designer figures, a loophole that allows DCC to make figures in the Bruce Timm style so long as they're not characters that were seen in the show.

My concerns are the new hip articulation and wondering if Todd is actually going to offer Animated figures based on the Bruce Timm series or if he'll just sit on it to keep DCC from continuing the lines (Batman, Batman Beyond, Superman, JL...).

As I've stated elsewhere, I really don't think these new figures are part of the Animated line. That may be off limits now due to WBCP's agreement with McFarlane.

The new figures are more like Designer figures, a loophole that allows DCC to make figures in the Bruce Timm style so long as they're not characters that were seen in the show.

My concerns are the new hip articulation and wondering if Todd is actually going to offer Animated figures based on the Bruce Timm series or if he'll just sit on it to keep DCC from continuing the lines (Batman, Batman Beyond, Superman, JL...).

This. I get the complaint about show characters not made yet, but come on, how is an animated Deathstroke a bad thing????

I have no idea why none of these interviewers saw fit to ask about the WBCP acquisition at Toy Fair. It seems like they always come up with the most asinine questions. Suffice it to say, in a perfect world, Todd would be objective enough to look at this line and compliment it, rather than compete with it. Sure, you want to do your own thing, but, I’d absolutely love it if, instead of kicking off a new TAS line that was different from DCC’s, he picked up where they left off and tackled the likes of Superman, Batman Beyond, and, even, JL and JLU, in the same style.

ToyNewsI interview from ToyFair asked about more Justice League stuff and/or accessories. Jim seemed to be aware that it was silly to ship the figures without accessories (he specifically mentioned Hawkgirl's mace) but was very non-committal and just moved past the question. So I guess we're not getting anything else in that regard.

I have no idea why none of these interviewers saw fit to ask about the WBCP acquisition at Toy Fair. It seems like they always come up with the most asinine questions. Suffice it to say, in a perfect world, Todd would be objective enough to look at this line and compliment it, rather than compete with it. Sure, you want to do your own thing, but, I’d absolutely love it if, instead of kicking off a new TAS line that was different from DCC’s, he picked up where they left off and tackled the likes of Superman, Batman Beyond, and, even, JL and JLU, in the same style.
We don't know the specifics of the licensing agreement with McFarlane, so until we see what Todd and DCC make in the next few years, we won't know what exactly DC/WB has given Todd and what they've left for themselves. The only thing we really know for sure is that McFarlane toys is taking over for Mattel, so movie figures and stuff for the mass market, but that the kiddier stuff is going to another manufacturer whose name escapes me at the moment.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

According to Jim Fletcher's interview with TNI, these new figures aren't part of the Animated line after all. He's working with Paul Dini and Ty Templeton to develop figures that specifically didn't appear in the shows. Seems like a licensing restriction to me.

According to Jim Fletcher's interview with TNI, these new figures aren't part of the Animated line after all. He's working with Paul Dini and Ty Templeton to develop figures that specifically didn't appear in the shows. Seems like a licensing restriction to me.

And when Jay asked him if they were going to do more Justice League, Jim's response was "We could!"

Last edited:

I like that they have some new figures coming according to Toyfair ..but it’s not much and no Superman animated :thud:

I don’t think an animated Superman line would be as popular. Batman has the best villains... >_>

Y'all talking about articulation, but there has never been an articulation pattern in this line.
Whoever is the art director for this line do whatever they want.

So, I see no point in complaining about it now? I would see if we were in 2015/2016, lmao

That would be perfect and I would love for that to happen as there are still 3-4 characters I would love to see, but do we honestly think that Mcfarlane is going to miss out on the money that the big hitters will bring. Characters already covered by DCC.

Mcfarlane is going to want to do Batman, Joker, Two face etc etc before we have any chance of seeing the likes of Rupert Thorne or Kamandi......

Honestly, with the pending release of Grey Ghost I feel as though DCC has delivered an incredible line. I'm satisfied. I think Mcfarlane will do an incredible job for new collectors ready to get in on a line at the ground level.

I saw a new interview tonight where Todd mentions possibly doing the Bruce Timm style with his flavor. That has me thinking thay they could be more in the realm of Sideshow's newest animated-inspired Trinity statues instead of straight animated figures. I guess we'll find out in July.

I saw a new interview tonight where Todd mentions possibly doing the Bruce Timm style with his flavor. That has me thinking thay they could be more in the realm of Sideshow's newest animated-inspired Trinity statues instead of straight animated figures. I guess we'll find out in July.

Well, if they do that, they can count me out, I don't like at all the sideshow interpretation of the animated series trinity, sometimes we only want to recognize the designs of the series(the original one).

ToyNewsI interview from ToyFair asked about more Justice League stuff and/or accessories. Jim seemed to be aware that it was silly to ship the figures without accessories (he specifically mentioned Hawkgirl's mace) but was very non-committal and just moved past the question. So I guess we're not getting anything else in that regard.

They should really just admit that they screwed the pooch on the Justice League figures and
release a 7-pack box set with all the accessories and a height-corrected John Stewart.

Would it piss people off? Sure, most likely... but at least they would get more mileage out of the sculpts
and for anyone who skipped out on the figures because of the distribution method (DC DOA Streaming Service)
and put a nice looking set in comic shops.

I can imagine Todd doing TAS figures with textured sculpting to simulate a variety of fabrics. He would refer to it as a "hi-def" version of the DCC line.

As for the Dini/Templeton spinoff line, I won't be surprised if it's offered at the same higher MSRP as ¡Lucha Explosiva! figures; $35.

They should really just admit that they screwed the pooch on the Justice League figures...

DCU would argue no pooches were screwed. Those figures did exactly what they were supposed to do; lure in subscribers and get collectors to use the DC online shop.

I have no doubt that DCC would love to offer them again with accessories through the specialty market. That's probably up to DCU. I wouldn't expect to see a taller John Stewart though.

That's a terrible idea... people like the designs for what they are.

WE. DON'T. WANT. INTERPRETATIONS. :lol

Agreed! The Timm style is popular for a reason. I'll just keep making my customs then...
Speaking of, GL's height can be fixed with a longer neck peg and a slightly taller head. The released one just kinda looks like he was hit on the head by a hammer. haha
2df7ddead488f056f4428855e5a41e90.jpg
551535d0c9da66f675cda28bab9ec49a.jpg

WE. DON'T. WANT. INTERPRETATIONS.

CAN I GET AN AMEN?

Across every property ever. I’m interested in faithful reproductions of images from existing media that I love.

An image without a strong narrative attached to it is generally not worth my time or money. It misses the whole point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back