DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

I really like how Batman, Manhunter, Diana, and Hawkgirl look but the other half...
Between needing bigger heads, shorter arms or longer legs, the other 4 need some work. I hope the US exclusivity is temporary for you International guys too- especially if this is how all of the animated lines continue.
I'm very curious to see what SDCC brings now.

Also, I finished up another custom:
My take on Green Lantern was made from Nightwing's head, G&M Superman's torso, and G&M Batman's arms and legs. I gave him a Heroclix boxing glove and sculpted a tiny ring too.

bc192f7d4de0b81fabb9453311dd797c.jpg
8d86ba7795890b60c97d9b1a21b1b4fd.jpg

Another nice custom sir! I'm waiting for the SDCC to see what will they announce but I have base figures ready for customs :)

On a side note how did you swap hands/legs in the G&M Superman? I haven't done this with this line yet so I'm not sure how are they attached inside.

Thank you, guys!

vasq- It may just be the flash photography that's making some of the colors pop, but I just use multiple thin coats of either Apple Barrel or Anita's acrylic paints. I'll attach a shot of them below. (GL's green is in the pic)

zelu- Haha, I stocked up much the same way before NYTF and then went nuts coming up with recipes afterward since we didn't hear any solid news on the lines.
The G&M figures are of the same construction type and work very well with the rest of the animated figures. I've attached a few examples below. The shot of the 3 torsos shows that they have a fairly standard waist connection but many of them have a rubber type insert that comes out pretty easily too. You can see TAS Mad Hatter's rubber part removed there and the large cavity it left. Also, I discovered much later in my experimental recipe swapping that you can actually swap legs out at the hips on some too. (You can see where I did that with Ivy and Zatanna.) If you or any other customizers want more BTS pics or info let me know as I've taken a lot of these apart over the last few months.

By the way, sorry if a few of my customs tricked some of you guys into thinking you missed some exclusives. Ha, I do appreciate the compliment of that, though. ;)
670c4f220e8c10ee5b30fcc930d21662.jpg
e9a2d44c7706371a206b8e45aa172ac9.jpg
f3be9a387833bb03d9a7d86e8c9cd611.jpg
60c0850d50bb37fff4294ba7eb9309e8.jpg
88f5f84ae6607655676b9c0830a8063a.jpg
05033baafb452f69d4ebaf69850b477c.jpg

Thank you, guys!

vasq- It may just be the flash photography that's making some of the colors pop, but I just use multiple thin coats of either Apple Barrel or Anita's acrylic paints. I'll attach a shot of them below. (GL's green is in the pic)

zelu- Haha, I stocked up much the same way before NYTF and then went nuts coming up with recipes afterward since we didn't hear any solid news on the lines.
The G&M figures are of the same construction type and work very well with the rest of the animated figures. I've attached a few examples below. The shot of the 3 torsos shows that they have a fairly standard waist connection but many of them have a rubber type insert that comes out pretty easily too. You can see TAS Mad Hatter's rubber part removed there and the large cavity it left. Also, I discovered much later in my experimental recipe swapping that you can actually swap legs out at the hips on some too. (You can see where I did that with Ivy and Zatanna.) If you or any other customizers want more BTS pics or info let me know as I've taken a lot of these apart over the last few months.

By the way, sorry if a few of my customs tricked some of you guys into thinking you missed some exclusives. Ha, I do appreciate the compliment of that, though. ;)
670c4f220e8c10ee5b30fcc930d21662.jpg
e9a2d44c7706371a206b8e45aa172ac9.jpg
f3be9a387833bb03d9a7d86e8c9cd611.jpg
60c0850d50bb37fff4294ba7eb9309e8.jpg
88f5f84ae6607655676b9c0830a8063a.jpg
05033baafb452f69d4ebaf69850b477c.jpg

This is so helpful! I will be Frankensteining soon! ;)

Also, do you boil the figures to safely remove the parts or what's your technique? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Also, do you boil the figures to safely remove the parts or what's your technique? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Awesome, I'm glad I can help! Your customs are what inspired me to do mine, so it's pretty cool if I can help you out a tiny bit. I hope I can reach your level of face painting one day too.
I've found a space heater to be the easiest way to take these guys apart. I just prefer the ease of the heater without having to wipe the water off. The shoulder joints take the longest amount of time and waists are probably second longest. 5 minutes is about the max I'd say.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Speaking of boil and pop, is anyone else having problems fitting the Joker expression pack heads on older DC Collectibles Jokers (single carded and Mad Love two-pack)? It's that damn double ball peg thing that is too wide to fit and stays hard no matter what. At the moment I have the heads stick to the neck post without them, but of course the heads fall off relatively easy.

Speaking of boil and pop, is anyone else having problems fitting the Joker expression pack heads on older DC Collectibles Jokers (single carded and Mad Love two-pack)? It's that damn double ball peg thing that is too wide to fit and stays hard no matter what. At the moment I have the heads stick to the neck post without them, but of course the heads fall off relatively easy.

Yeah, the first release Joker ball peg are not supposed to work with the Expression Pack heads, but if you use a hairdryer and heat them up till the plastic get soft you can force them a bit and they will stay perfectly. :lol I have 6 Joker to prove it, check:

P_20180704_160851.jpg

do you guys got an answer from your latest mail to DC? I sent 2 mail in last 2 months and no one answered to me. The good times when Kevin personally answered one by one are gone.

Yeah, the first release Joker ball peg are not supposed to work with the Expression Pack heads, but if you use a hairdryer and heat them up till the plastic get soft you can force them a bit and they will stay perfectly. :lol I have 6 Joker to prove it, check:

View attachment 415943

Cool collection!
I've been boiling them in water for minutes, yet those ball pegs were still super solid. Guess I will try the hairdryer.

Cool collection!
I've been boiling them in water for minutes, yet those ball pegs were still super solid. Guess I will try the hairdryer.

Thanks! :)
Oh, I don't use it on the ball peg, I heat down the heads till they're soft, it's way more easy. The heads don't get any damage, don't worry ;)

BTW, I saw a lot of comments on Instagram about the new JL figures. I really cannot understand people who say Wonder Woman looks "fantastic" and "good". Really??? I cannot see any resemblance with Bruce Timm design... Do you guys think the same? Senza titolo-1.jpg C'mon.. To me is like DCC is not even trying it.

This is the proof it's possible to do way better than that crap, do you agree? xD
0bf35d80-4496-490d-94a5-3e1c3345f593.jpg91b35e22-234f-41c1-9c66-0f98e74a0b39.jpg

I think Hawkgirl is even worse.

I was initially very excited by these, but when the officially pics were released, that excitement dropped severely. I always thought the sculpts on the 10" figures Mattel released were best (and in some cases better than the DCD maquettes). Of which I had the whole collection, but they unfortunately perished in the one shelf collapse I've thankfully ever experienced.

So I'm not so sure I'll even bother with these. I would love a good representation of CN Justice League, but I'm thinking I might track down those old 10" figures when the time comes.

I doubt some of the images we saw were of the final production figures. One image of Batman appeared to indicate his wrists had no articulation while another one clearly did. These could be works-in-progress.

Let's hear what they have to say at SDCC. I'm sure there'll be plenty of questions.

Articulation is one thing, but aside from paint differences I haven't seen any finished products turn out drastically different from protos. Which has worked out and also disappointed.

DC Collectibles unfortunately takes quite a few minor (sometimes not so minor) creative liberties with their sculpts, which is baffling since they promote their figures as being so accurate to the original character sheets (which don't always match the general look of certain details on the show).

To name a few:
-Batman's rounded jawline - Kenner managed to get his headsculpt right in 1992
-Joker (first headsculpt) - compared to some of the 90's items (statues, bubble bath bottle heads, etc.) the facial structure was pretty off in certain areas
Also since I'm ranting- how come his figure of all doesn't come with ankle rocker articulation (he always takes on extreme poses) or a playing card hand?
-Mr.Freeze - dome height
-Robin - figure's height doesn't match his height on the show, which should always matter more than the character sheet information
-Penguin - they made the monocle out of translucent plastic- it doesn't match the style of the show at all. As if they are trying to add more realism to a product instead of matching a cartoon style as faithfully as they can.

While not always 100% accurate Diamond Select Toys' sculptors do a better job accurately replicating the show's style. I wish DC Collectibles would take note. I think one of the major reasons for that is that they paint their figures with flesh-colored paint instead of molding them in a slightly translucent flesh-colored plastic. It's an animated show- of course a flesh-colored paint job is going to look more accurate than flesh-colored translucent plastic. Just look at the difference it makes on a lot of Zelu's custom repaints. I really wish DC Collectibles would take note.

EDIT: It could be that Diamond Select Toys are in fact using flesh colored plastic on their figures, but they managed to make it look less translucent than say DC Collectibles, Hasbro and Mattel.

^Agree with you totally. Also Joker's eyes are painted completely wrong. Why are they more pointed on the head with the hat in thw expression set and still incorrect on the standard head they again included.

In fact they get eyes wrong all the time. Look at Bullock and Lois for 2 more examples.

And yes. Penguin's monocle and lack of cigarette holder are dreadful.

I don't care too much about a non properly painted monocle or the lack of a cigarette, what bothers me is the high of some figures. Robin (BTAS) and Terry are small, Creeper is too big, Batgirl is smaller than Harley (TNBA), Catwoman (TNBA) is too skinny compared with most of the girl's night out set and she's supposed to be taller compared to the younger characters

I don't care too much about a non properly painted monocle or the lack of a cigarette, what bothers me is the high of some figures. Robin (BTAS) and Terry are small, Creeper is too big, Batgirl is smaller than Harley (TNBA), Catwoman (TNBA) is too skinny compared with most of the girl's night out set and she's supposed to be taller compared to the younger characters
Livewire should also be taller than Harley and Ivy...and Batgirl and Supergirl, too. Scale's been all over the place in this line since the beginning.

So you're ok with some thing being off model but not other things?

Back