DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Did anyone notice that the figures from wave 1 were sculpted by two different people/company? The batman and catwoman were sculpted by Irene Matar, but Two Face and Freeze are sculpted by Gentle Giant Studios. It's a bit strange to see DCC using outside sculptors on the same line/wave of figures, imo.

Ended up taking Freeze back (too many issues) and was able to swap him out with Two-Face, who is issue free. I'll revisit Freeze another time. Now I just have to wait for Batman and Catwoman from DCBS.

Question: does Batman have a waist joint above his belt. I heated the thigh joints, and the knee joints, and, so far, everything works pretty well (knock on wood). The ankles were what I was worried most about, but, so far, they've held out pretty well (again, knock on wood). At any rate, I kind of took him out to inspect him. He's a really solid piece of plastic, and I dig it. I love the design, and I look forward to collecting the line. I didn't try out any of his accessories or alternate hands, yet (that's probably where they'll get me), but I kind of love this figure. Hell, I even love the packaging. I was disappointed, at first, and I still would've preferred something more collector friendly, but, since I had a second figure MOC, that was no longer an issue, really. The thing I like about it, though, is the plastic clasp on the back.
One of the reasons I wanted collector friendly packaging was that it makes it easy to store the figure (particularly one with a lot of accessories, like this). With that in mind, even though I had to open it, with that plastic clasp on the back, it essentially seals back up for easy storage, providing you don't remove the entire bubble.

I grabbed Batman and catwoman today. Had a good selection to pick from. So far so good. I'll get Two Face next for sure. Not sure about Freeze though.

I'm really happy with Two-Face. My figure has no joint problems. My only wish is that he could hold his machine gun with both hands. But it's ok. I got him rockin both guns.

Come on DCBS! Mail out Batman and Catwoman!

These figures look absolutely gorgeous. Especially both designs of Batman. And I think Catwoman and Mr. Freeze look amazing too.

But for some reason, I'm not compelled to get them, and it's NOT cause of the rampant breakage problem.

I honestly feel that this is one series that Kenner/Hasbro pretty much nailed the first time around. I "re-buy" a lot of toys cause they are clearly upgrades to what I had 30, 20, even 10 years ago. But I always thought the old Animated figures were really damn close to the series, with the exception of Robin and Catwoman who were clearly retooled from the Batman Returns figures.

I especially thought the TNBA figures were spot on, with Batman and Mr. Freeze looking fantastically on model.

Of course these new figures are an upgrade. Better articulation (when it works without snapping) and BIGGER which is always better. But for these designs, I guess I just think simpler is better. I think the old Mr. Freeze looks better with those long thin legs unbroken by articulation cuts.

I think if I ever feel the need to revisit these designs I'll just pull my old 90s figures out of storage. They were close enough for me. I'm more excited by new stuff that NEVER had really good figures, like the 1989 Batman.

Having said all that, I'm still enjoying the hell out of the pics on this thread....the figures look simply amazing. The ones that haven't broken of course!

I was a little underwhelmed with Two Face, but he definitely grew on me over the weekend

20141215_060213_zps515ef512.jpg

Agreed with Otomofan. Kenner did an outstanding job the first time around. I'm getting select favorites from this line. Now if only I could find my Kenner versions which are in a box in my parents basement somewhere.

I thought I was the only one but Otomofan, you're right. I absolutely love the original Kenner figures. The sculpts, paint, even the cardbacks were ahead of their time and, personally speaking, rival those of any modern toy line.
Perhaps that's why I'm not nearly as impressed with these new figures as I thought I would be. I have pretty much the perfect representations of these characters already. I've yet to buy any of the new figures and not sure that I'm willing to right now.

So when are series 2 (BTAS joker, robin man-bat, TBNA Ivy) and series 3(TBNA Croc, Robin, Creeper, BTAS Harley) arriving? I know series 2 was suppose to be out shortly after series 1 but then it was delayed.

Series 2 is on track so far for next week. Forgot when series 3 is due, but its hard to tell. The third Capullo figure wave wasn't due until March I think and that's also coming next week now.

Series 2 is on track so far for next week. Forgot when series 3 is due, but its hard to tell. The third Capullo figure wave wasn't due until March I think and that's also coming next week now.

Next week? We got a delay notice at my comic shop awhile back that Series 2 wouldn't hit until March now...

Has it been changed back?

Sallah

I hope we see TAS Posion Ivy in the future, I couldn't stand the alien looking New Adventures Ivy :pfft:and that's the one they did

How about

Phantasm

These figures look absolutely gorgeous. Especially both designs of Batman. And I think Catwoman and Mr. Freeze look amazing too.

But for some reason, I'm not compelled to get them, and it's NOT cause of the rampant breakage problem.

I honestly feel that this is one series that Kenner/Hasbro pretty much nailed the first time around. I "re-buy" a lot of toys cause they are clearly upgrades to what I had 30, 20, even 10 years ago. But I always thought the old Animated figures were really damn close to the series, with the exception of Robin and Catwoman who were clearly retooled from the Batman Returns figures.

I especially thought the TNBA figures were spot on, with Batman and Mr. Freeze looking fantastically on model.

Of course these new figures are an upgrade. Better articulation (when it works without snapping) and BIGGER which is always better. But for these designs, I guess I just think simpler is better. I think the old Mr. Freeze looks better with those long thin legs unbroken by articulation cuts.

I think if I ever feel the need to revisit these designs I'll just pull my old 90s figures out of storage. They were close enough for me. I'm more excited by new stuff that NEVER had really good figures, like the 1989 Batman.

Having said all that, I'm still enjoying the hell out of the pics on this thread....the figures look simply amazing. The ones that haven't broken of course!

Definitely agree with this. Besides, knowing that the original figures were released as the series was airing has a great charm all it's own. They're a product of their time, I guess. Man, Kenner was the best back in the day. It's also telling that you can go back to vintage Kenner figures today and they hold up better than figures currently being released. (At least, I never remember opening an action figure as a kid and having the leg fall off, lol.)

I'm glad that this stuff is being addressed. It makes you a bit less nervous when you at least have an avenue to go through, instead of being strapped with a broken figure. So far so good with Batman; hopefully, he stays that way, and I don't have any issues with Catwoman.

I just opened Catwoman, and I have a question. Her right knee joint wiggles left and right like it's going to fall off, but it doesn't. Now, perhaps, I'm paranoid, but it feels like I'm going to be sitting there posing her in a month, or two, or three, and bam! Pow! Zowee! Catwoman's got eight lives and one leg. With that in mind, is something broken internally, and, is it worth contacting DCC over?

Last edited:
Back