DC Comics: Rebirth

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I "picked up" (my sub is coming next month, but I read it...digitally) Batman and, dunno, it was good. It didn't "feel" like a complete issue though, more like a "free" one, you know what I'm saying? Currently, i'm sitting at 2 DC titles, Batman and Deathstroke (I dropped Cap, cause come on, Priest on DS and with a lower price point beats Political-Propaganda any day). I'm interested in JSA, New Gods and a Wally solo if or when they're announced.

My subs starts next month as well

Which ones, if I may ask? I'm just subbed for DS & Batman, but I'm waiting for confirmation on New Gods and JSA. I just wish we'd get a Hal Jordan solo, and not lump all the Lanterns together so that Johns' pets can get more page time...

Batman
Supergirl
Green Arrow
Both Green Lantern books
Flash
Aquaman
Wonder Woman
Blue Beetle
Rebirth mini

Well damn, that's a whole lot. GL, Flash, WW & Aquaman would've been in mine as well, but Marvel and the Indies are taking their space for the moment. Johns' Pet GL title does nothing for me though. I just want a Hal solo. Or heck, a Hal/John buddy-cop book.

If they suck, I'll chop :lol

There's always that option. Ever since ANAD started, I dropped about 10 books. Thing is, Marvel overpriced them, while DC double-ships them. 6$ for 60 pages is still better than 4$ for 30 though.

Ugh I guess I'll add GL and DS to my list. I actually thought Batman #1 was ok. It did seem incomplete. Maybe we will get a better taste for what's to come. I did like SUPERMAN #1

Ugh I guess I'll add GL and DS to my list. I actually thought Batman #1 was ok. It did seem incomplete. Maybe we will get a better taste for what's to come. I did like SUPERMAN #1

Deathstroke is one of my most anticipated titles, truth be told. Priest returning after so many years is a major draw, and I've been longing for a great Slade book. Both Nu52 DS titles were mediocre to bad, so I'm really hoping this one is good enough to stand next to the Wolfman Vol. The talent is there, it just needs to "click" together.

As for Green Lantern, I've lost all interest. packing all 4 Lanterns in one book is a very bad move, especially when they're giving Johns' pets their very own ongoing, and adding them in the JL. Now that I mention it, I'm staying away from JL as well. Hitch's strong suit never was his writting, not to mention he's notoriously late (see the recent news on JLA). I'm just hoping the announced JLA features a mix of the Big 7 and some lesser used Leaguers, coupled with a better writter. As far as I'm concerned, the "true" JL book has yet to be announced...

PS: I also just added Hellblazer. I dropped Black Monday Murders, cause Hickman is slow AF and his work reads better in trades, anyway. I'm a fan of the original, though both Nu52 Vols were average. Still, the new one has John and Swamp-Thing, so I'LL TRY IT. Plus, it's monthly and priced at 3$, that's good for my wallet.

I just want some fresh stories. I don't want them to keep reaching back from new 52 and keep comparing arcs.

Who thought putting the city of Metropolis on Superman's crotch was a good idea? :lol

7ULNj3w.jpg

DC Rebirth to have a 2-year story arc across all titles

The countdown to another reboot starts in June.

I don't have a problem with this. The very nature of monthly comics pretty much demand reboots if you ever want anything actually meaningful to happen. With volumes that run two or so years you can have primary heroes or villains die or experience major changes. Then go back to status quo and start all over again with the next reboot. Remember some of the very greatest storylines in the history of comics were self-contained miniseries with definitive beginnings, middles, and ends. Imagine if Miller's TDKR or the original Watchmen had enough content to go 24 issues at the same level of quality. That would have been pretty cool and who knows, we might see that with Rebirth. Not award winning genre transcendence necessarily but at least something that resonates for years to come.

I'd prefer them to concentrate on stories that are character and world building. I don't want another new universe that completely takes over or for them to redo the characters younger every two years. You can still have the strong mini-series or Elseworld's stories to go along with the main comic titles that are telling a larger story. DC comics are all over the place and never really found their footing with New 52. As an example, there were several Superman titles with no real continuity among them unless they were specifically doing a cross-over event like Superman: Doomsday. Others may not have a problem with that, but it bugs me. I'm hoping the story-telling is tighter with Rebirth.

Yeah I do think they can go longer than two years to give the world building aspect room to breathe as you say. I think 5-10 years might be ideal between overhauls. We'll see how it goes with Rebirth. I'm picking up Rebirth #1 today plus Batman and Detective Comics and I'm curious to see if this will be my first jumping on point with DC since the 90's.

Back