Darth Vader Sixth Scale Figure: Hot Toys vs Sideshow.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot Toys or Sideshow?

• Hot Toys

Votes: 146 59.6%
  • Sideshow

Votes: 35 14.3%
  • Can't go wrong with either

Votes: 61 24.9%
  • Neither. Wait for the 1/4 scale.

Votes: 7 2.9%

• Total voters
I am still undecided, help me out Sideshowcollectors.com - you're my only hope! :p

I am still undecided, help me out Sideshowcollectors.com - you're my only hope! :p

If you are going to faithfulness to the look, HOT TOYS hands down...for the money you pay, you deserve a figure that looks like what it's supposed to represent....
The amount of care taken to make Vader look right, and the attention to detail in this scale is unprecedented. The worbly dome, the no symmetrical face, th s curve on the cheek...you'd think it was scanned if it weren't for the character of its own minute flaws....

Hot toys is the only way to go if you are only getting one...if you could afford both, it's nice to compare the differences...

If you are going to faithfulness to the look, HOT TOYS hands down...for the money you pay, you deserve a figure that looks like what it's supposed to represent....
The amount of care taken to make Vader look right, and the attention to detail in this scale is unprecedented. The worbly dome, the no symmetrical face, th s curve on the cheek...you'd think it was scanned if it weren't for the character of its own minute flaws....

Hot toys is the only way to go if you are only getting one...if you could afford both, it's nice to compare the differences...
Cheers,

So, I bought the Hot Toys version today and while he looks cool - he had far too many mistakes on him - imho.

1. one of the batteries had exploded in the box
2. the silver nubs next to his mouth grille, one of them was black (unpainted)
3. there are paint splotches on his upper left mouth grille and it is fairly easy to see
4. I almost gave up trying to get the LED arm into the shoulder socket, man, the instructions on that one are vague and the place is hard to reach due to the tightness of the undersuit
5. the button on his back is almost impossible to activate without removing his cloak and suit
6. the printed instructions for assembling the interrogation droid are quite dark, so it took me quite a bit of time to assemble

But!
He still looks awesome. :)

Last edited:
The tusk is supposed to be unpainted. Look at pics of anh vader. The lightsaber arm and sound feature aren't worth bothering with. Can you post a pic of the mouth grill

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

d8ebcf209d8425c36eb001a192853f05.jpg

Pic for difference between tusks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The paint splotches may be intentional as well. I guess it depends how they look. But they're supposed to be painted differently.

Cheers,

So, I bought the Hot Toys version today and while he looks cool - he had far too many mistakes on him - imho.

1. one of the batteries had exploded in the box
2. the silver nubs next to his mouth grille, one of them was black (unpainted)
3. there are paint splotches on his upper left mouth grille and it is fairly easy to see
4. I almost gave up trying to get the LED arm into the shoulder socket, man, the instructions on that one are vague and the place is hard to reach due to the tightness of the undersuit
5. the button on his back is almost impossible to activate without removing his cloak and suit
6. the printed instructions for assembling the interrogation droid are quite dark, so it took me quite a bit of time to assemble

But!
He still looks awesome. :)

The tusks are supposed to be black and silver...
The mouth grill is supposed to be uneven in the paint because the actual prop was weathered like that ...
As far as the switches and operation, it's a real drag...I just tested mine to make sure there were no defects, then removed the batteries and put them away....

The batteries are supposed to be new however.

I kinda wished he used larger batteries like aaa so they wouldn't run out so quickly.

I'll add just a bit to this. Like it is been said already the paint and tusks were supposed to be that way, this is ANH Vader, the dirtiest o them all. Always remove the crappy cell batteries the Hot Toys, Sideshow and other companies collectibles come with. Replace them with high quality ones or don't put any batteries. Personally I asked Jazz to make me a custom Vader who doesn't need batteries anymore, he works on USB and also power outlet (220V)

Thanks for the clarifications, I'll try and get a picture or two tomorrow.
Sadly it is too dark now for my crappy camera.

I'll add just a bit to this. Like it is been said already the paint and tusks were supposed to be that way, this is ANH Vader, the dirtiest o them all. Always remove the crappy cell batteries the Hot Toys, Sideshow and other companies collectibles come with. Replace them with high quality ones or don't put any batteries. Personally I asked Jazz to make me a custom Vader who doesn't need batteries anymore, he works on USB and also power outlet (220V)

That's awesome! Was it an easy conversion?

From what I can see in the pic, the mask looks exactly like it should.
The armour over the cape and tunic, however, do not look like they should.

I have the SS ESB/ROTJ from a few years back with all the accessories (light up base, head sculpt etc.) I’m 100% happy with it and did not feel the need to spend $400 CAN replacing it with HT ANH or RO.

I have the SS ESB/ROTJ from a few years back with all the accessories (light up base, head sculpt etc.) I’m 100% happy with it and did not feel the need to spend $400 CAN replacing it with HT ANH or RO.

Heck, I have the original Sideshow ANH Vader, just shortened his legs because he was too tall, and still haven't felt the need to replace him with a newer version at $300 USD.

Fits nicely in my setup.

02-Besta-ESB.jpg

01-Besta-ANH.jpg

03-Besta-ROTJ.jpg

Back