Darth Vader Sixth Scale Figure: Hot Toys vs Sideshow.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot Toys or Sideshow?

• Hot Toys

Votes: 146 59.6%
  • Sideshow

Votes: 35 14.3%
  • Can't go wrong with either

Votes: 61 24.9%
  • Neither. Wait for the 1/4 scale.

Votes: 7 2.9%

• Total voters
I buy both SS 1:6 and Hot Toys 1:6 Star Wars figures.... Quality wise Hot Toys is a few notches above Sideshow figures in both head sculpts, bodies and clothing... But I buy both since I doubt Hot Toys will redo any of the new releases from SS.

I am so torn between these two figures. I've just started collecting so the only Vader I have is the Mythos. If I could have gotten the SS Exclusive with the severed hand I would have definitely went SS just because I like the ESB\ROTJ Vader but the HT looks so accurate and there is a certain appeal to ANH Vader. Decisions, Decisions. :)

I just got my SSC Darth Vader, no mods, just stock, and pretty happy with it.

I know you guys can point out lots of faults on this figure, but I just like a lot the ESB / ROTJ looks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.JPG

Accuracy issues aside, I would have been thrilled to have any one of these Vaders when I was a kid. It is sometimes easy to forget how good we really have it now with all the toys and collectibles being made.

Accuracy issues aside, I would have been thrilled to have any one of these Vaders when I was a kid. It is sometimes easy to forget how good we really have it now with all the toys and collectibles being made.

An embarrassment of riches. I look at my Hot Toys stormtroopers and have to stop, look again. And the sheer number of announcements the past year...! :thud:

For all their faults, I do still like my SS Vaders but expecting better from Hot Toys given the promo pictures. Have to say though, minuscule size aside, as a piece displayed on its own, my favourite is still my original Medicom Vader.

I was thinking the same thing just the other day. My mom used to drag me to yard sales and I was thrilled to find anything Star Wars at one of them. Most of the stuff was beat up, broken or filthy dirty. Didn't matter to me.

At some point over the years I've gotten picky. :lol

Kids have got better imaginations. A bit of liquorice chewing gum on a stick was good enough a Vader for me as a 6-year old.

i got my ss vader, no mods, i really like it, i think that is one the best 1/6 figures from sideshow apart from skinny arms, i hate vader arms. i cancel my preorder for HT vader but im gonna get it when its release probably second hand with mint condition. i dont mind having both ss and HT, they're all great figures.

I guess I must not be too bothered by most of them, but I'm ok with that. I recently got the Vader SS Deluxe- while I've yet to see the Hot Toys one (obviously agree that HT is generally superior in virtually all aspects) - I was stunned by the Sideshow Vader. He is incredibly well done in my opinion. Some of the SS figures aren't too bad and display pretty well- some like the Jedi Luke bother me a bit as they just look cheesy (thank god for the hood). Vader did not disappoint me though, that's for sure.

Here are some in hand comparison pics from another thread (I'm sorry I don't remember who's these belong to)
SSvsHTvader3.jpgSSvsHTvader2.jpgSSvsHTvader1.jpg

I got the SS one when it first came out, and I must say I have always loved it. The only thing I really didn't like about it from the get go was the over-sized lightsaber. I don't use the "lit" one for that reason, but it doesn't matter. I do love the hands/gloves of this figure they are so expressive and the poses I put my Vader in takes advantage of that.

I'm also partial to the ESB/ROTJ look, so I thought HT ANH Vader would be an easy pass for me; which is good because I'm getting almost every other OT HT figure and I don't want to spend more on Vader if I don't have too. However there are a few things putting me up on the fence to consider HT Vader now.

I first started looking at it more seriously after I got my Ben Kenobi. I thought the LED light up sabers was going to be a gimmick I wouldn't care about and I wouldn't use it, but after having Kenobi's in hand I have to say it is fantastic!!! So the HT Vader's light up Saber should get some points if you are making a pro's and con's list in my mind.

The second thing that makes me consider the HT Vader is the helmet. I have never been an ANH Vader guy, but I also never really paid attention to the differences in the helmet. I always attributed my preference for ESB Vader as a preference for him wearing the robes under the armor instead of over and the armor itself being more polished and having a clip to keep the chain from disappearing under the neck of the mask. BUT, after looking more closely recently I think the initial dimensions of the ANH mask is actually far more menacing. The biggest reason for this I think is the more pointed widows peak on the helmet, but there are some other factors too. The Hot Toys Vader captures everything good about the ANH Vader mask. I also like that it seems fuller, and when it is side by side with the SS one the SS one's dome looks too narrow. The HT ANH Mask simply wins. The only thing I am not really sure about is the "battle damage" and intentional paint scratches on the grill. It's accurate to the movie, but it's also something we only notice now because of being able to watch Star Wars in HD and blueray. I may have preferred they didn't include this "detail" on this scale of a figure because I feel like I might notice it more on the figure than we do when watching Vader in ANH.

After that things get a bit closer. I think the body Suit of the HT figure is better, but I never hated the SS one. The hands/gloves of the HT one though still bother me. I am not going to want to pose him in a way the draws attention to the hands in the same way I have my SS Vader posed with his right hand out in some expressive gesture. Those pieces of "glove" that fit over the back of the sculpted hand of the HT figure looks like a Halloween costume that some mom put together because she couldn't find gloves with long gauntlets.

Finally, the last difference I think that might matter to people is the difference in height. The SS one is taller, but most people seem to think the HT height is more accurate; he certainly is tall enough. Some people are bothered by SS height saying it looks too tall. I've always been fine with it myself. The height difference isn't going to make me like one over the other, but it's important to some people so they should know about it so if its important to them they can get the one they prefer.

The other differences are not very significant to me. I don't care about the breathing or talking. I do really like the SS light up stand and I think the separate helmet display showing how the separate mask and dome are cool. I'm keeping these accessories even if I decide to sell my SS Vader someday. The HT stand though has the advantage of matching all the other HT SW stands and the droid looks cool.

I think both Vader's have their strengths and weaknesses and for me it may come down to how you want to pose him. If you want to pose him in a way that takes advantage of gestures to show expression with his hands as if he is force choking someone, telling them he is there to get them "back on schedule" or revealing that he is actually your father, then I would go with the SS one. But, if you want him with his lightsaber on go with the HT one. I might even say this even if you don't care that the HT one lights up, because the SS one really is way too big and looks terrible (especially if you have other figures with more in scale lightsabers near by).

I haven't decided to get the HT figure yet. I am still on the fence, but if I do I think the ideal pose for the HT figure is the classic 1977 promo pic
3103442767_90e6dd4414.jpg

So I recently picked up the Hot Toys Vader. Beautiful piece...but...the whole remote controlled voice function is a bunch bull. It first of all does not work that hot. The instructions explains that after 15 minutes the voice function automatically powers off...thus requiring the next time you want to here Vader breather you have to turned everything off and reset the system. Meaning, turning off the remote and turning it back on...AND turning the action figure's power switch on and off. This would be fine if you didn't have to essentially strip the whole darned piece down to access the switch, and then dress it up again...and if you're lucky to get the piece dressed again, and on the display in time (remember the 15 minute auto-power-off), then the force is with you and you have succeeded. This is a major design flaw in my opinion on the part of the good folks at Hot Toys. I really don't understand why Hot Toys doesn't make all of their battery powered piece be powered by one central battery, and one central switch. Major fail on the Darth Vader piece. Oh, and even though it is not as big of a pain, the switch is in a hard to reach spot for the light saber light...

more comparison pics (SOURCE is Sean Long's review video can be found here: https://youtu.be/olunp-PqkjI ):

vs. Sideshow ANH

FullSizeRender4.jpg

vs. Sideshow Deluxe

FullSizeRender3.jpg

So, given that the figures are from different movies... my opinion is:

1.- if you want a ANH Vader.

- Get Hot Toys ANH. Almost everything is perfect or high quality.
- Just wait till you can get some decent hands/gloves. Hot Toys' hands just look like a mummy's. Maybe even old SSC ANH gloves can do it better. Problem comes with the lit saber...

2.- if you want a ESB or ROTJ Vader.

I think the best mix could be:

Hot Toys body, or shortened Sideshow Deluxe, Sideshow ANH is just huge.
SSC ANH boots.
SSC ANH bodysuit. I think the quality and fit of this suit has not been matched despite Hot Toys higher quality.
SSC Deluxe tunic and cape. No wire.
SSC Deluxe gloves. Far from perfect, but the best so far.
SSC belt and chest box. They are ROTJ. Needs light on both pieces.
Hot Toys shoulder armor, quality is higher, maybe even SSC Deluxe, more movie-like.
Hot Toys saber.
Definitely Hot Toys helmet. Bigger. Better proportions. Just needs some shine and both tusks repainted.

That's my opinion at the moment... for those that have no Vader at all... I would get Hot Toys Vader. For the ESB version, it is probably best to wait.

I attach two pics of the SSC Deluxe Vader I got, I started modding him a bit.

FullSizeRenderl2.jpg

IMG_80026.JPG

Don't have either yet, which is which?
I just couldn't do SS Vader at that price, but since that time, Deadpool creeped in.

Back