Darth Vader Sixth Scale Figure: Hot Toys vs Sideshow.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot Toys or Sideshow?

• Hot Toys

Votes: 146 59.6%
  • Sideshow

Votes: 35 14.3%
  • Can't go wrong with either

Votes: 61 24.9%
  • Neither. Wait for the 1/4 scale.

Votes: 7 2.9%

• Total voters
Really? The more I looked, the more I preferred the right side. Except for the chain for the cape.
Actually easiest difference is the blue/green switch or light.

Really? The more I looked, the more I preferred the right side. Except for the chain for the cape.
Actually easiest difference is the blue/green switch or light.

It looks like it's come straight out of the box though

I took another look and realised Para posted his own pics. I was referring to Jaymas' pics earlier on that page.

here is a pic by Para, of the Hot Toys...

some futzing, lighting and a great ability with the camera...

It's STAR WARS magic! :clap

DSC_5671_zpskbsphenw.jpg

I am Parras, close, but not Para :lol

In Jaymas pictures, Sideshow is on the left, Hot Toys on the right.

here is how I would rank the quality of the 1:6 Vaders

1) Hot toys ANH Vader - a tad too tall, but close in every other way
2) SSC ANH Vader - way too tall, but body suit nice for the time. Dome off
3) SSC ESB?ROTJ Vader - baggy suit a mess, dome better. Electronics nice, but looks like a toy

Reposting from the HT Vader thread because of relevance

Overall the consensus I have about this figure minus the dumb sound thing is that it's a big winner. As one of the guys who modded the old SS stuff for accuracy, did all that hasbro dome nonsense etc this guy comes close to perfect and aside from the crotch piece angle adjustment the only other mods I am debating are the gunmetal gray on the armor, silver weathering on the belt and personally, while I feel the head and dome are great I still think it sits too high, more of his "eyebrows" should be covered by the dome. The thought of lowering another damn dome makes me sick though.

One thing I have not heard too much complaining about is just how damn god awful the Hot Toys cape and tunic are. They are horrible and it's a sad day when even the SS deluxe vader has a better cape and tunic. Thankfully I kept my lforgno as pictured below to replace for fantastic results.

My modded SS Deluxe ROTJ Vader includes an old SS vader lightsaber, a lowered and position altered dome, a HT Arnold body and the standard cape stitched and tucked in a few places

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pa1vvYmCj]

qvwmbS.jpg
[/URL]

I voted either simply because SS Vader deluxe gets brownie points for being the ESB/ROTJ version (my preference) and comes with a bunch of extras the HT ANH doesn't have. And in spite of SS Vader's flaws, it's still a good looking figure. The recently re-released ROTJ Vader isn't even in the conversation, might as well spring for HT between those 2. Having said that, if HT were to release a ESB/ROTJ Vader... bye bye SS Vader!

Last edited:
I also posted these pictures in the ESB Vader Mod thread but since it was specifically requested here are pics of the SS Deluxe with HT helmet:

Reposting from the HT Vader thread because of relevance

Overall the consensus I have about this figure minus the dumb sound thing is that it's a big winner. As one of the guys who modded the old SS stuff for accuracy, did all that hasbro dome nonsense etc this guy comes close to perfect and aside from the crotch piece angle adjustment the only other mods I am debating are the gunmetal gray on the armor, silver weathering on the belt and personally, while I feel the head and dome are great I still think it sits too high, more of his "eyebrows" should be covered by the dome. The thought of lowering another damn dome makes me sick though.

One thing I have not heard too much complaining about is just how damn god awful the Hot Toys cape and tunic are. They are horrible and it's a sad day when even the SS deluxe vader has a better cape and tunic. Thankfully I kept my lforgno as pictured below to replace for fantastic results.

I don't know, that cape and tunic looks like something my Dad would wear on weekend mornings while drinking his coffee and smoking his cigs. It looks too cozy.

People can rave all they want about the Hot Toys Vader but those gloves purely suck and unless they ever fix those and rerelease this that doll will never see the inside of my place.

The gloves and cape/tunic are fine. My only gripe is the electronics and price but the figure is great.

20160108_000356.jpg

Here are my two together. If I had to vote on one, the edge would go to the HT one simply because I think the dome and helmet are better.

Attachments

• darth%20and%20darth.jpg
    darth%20and%20darth.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 316
If HT releases an ESB/ROTJ version, I'll definitely pick that up as well. Still trying to sell my SS one.

Back