Darth Vader Sixth Scale Figure: Hot Toys vs Sideshow.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot Toys or Sideshow?

• Hot Toys

Votes: 146 59.6%
  • Sideshow

Votes: 35 14.3%
  • Can't go wrong with either

Votes: 61 24.9%
  • Neither. Wait for the 1/4 scale.

Votes: 7 2.9%

• Total voters
Ht mask appears to be at to big an angle and the grey to light to me, really bad shot of the ssc Vader overall nice but let down in a couple of key areas

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 903
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    785.6 KB · Views: 978
I have ANH Vader and IMO it is not too good. But the HT and SSC are not much better alas. When I look at the old Marmit Vader (with its own imperfections) and then compare it with the Vaders we got so far or will be released from Medi, SSC and HT, I realize they all lack the je ne se quois that truly makes Vader what he is.

You opened up a can of worms with this thread. There is a clan of obsessives on this forum who scrutinize even the most minute details of Darth Vader and being weird things like Marmit and Kotobukiya into the discussion.

While the observations are mostly correct, it seems to me like you're after the simplest solution to a quality Vader and to that even not having it released to look at in person my answer is beyond the shadow of a doubt the Hot Toys one. You can't go wrong. I'm sure some details will be off and someone will be throwing Marmit parts on it or whatever but the truth remains that sideshow is a sub par company.

I sold off my sideshow ANH Vader when the HT announcement came up. It was heavily modified but still sideshow can never hold a candle to hot toys even with non human characters. Just comparing their stormtrooper to the hot toys trooper is proof enough and HT even collaborated with sideshow on it and it just shows how much sideshows mere involvement supports sub par results.

I did keep my ESB sideshow Vader just because I wanted to have one from ESB. I missed that too, gave him a hot toys terminator body and lowered his dome.

While I'm definitely an obsessive of another stripe (my poison is stormtroopers) I have to agree that your best bet out-of-the-box is almost certainly Hot Toys.

The quality will be excellent. I had a Sideshow ANH Vader that took some modifications to look right, and even so it was an outdated figure.

It's very true that no one has a Hot Toys production model Vader in-hand yet, but if I had to bet on it my money would be on Hot Toys.

Close-ups I've seen online of the mask from Celebration show a superior paint job at the very least.

You opened up a can of worms with this thread. There is a clan of obsessives on this forum who scrutinize even the most minute details of Darth Vader and being weird things like Marmit and Kotobukiya into the discussion.

While the observations are mostly correct, it seems to me like you're after the simplest solution to a quality Vader and to that even not having it released to look at in person my answer is beyond the shadow of a doubt the Hot Toys one. You can't go wrong. I'm sure some details will be off and someone will be throwing Marmit parts on it or whatever but the truth remains that sideshow is a sub par company.

I sold off my sideshow ANH Vader when the HT announcement came up. It was heavily modified but still sideshow can never hold a candle to hot toys even with non human characters. Just comparing their stormtrooper to the hot toys trooper is proof enough and HT even collaborated with sideshow on it and it just shows how much sideshows mere involvement supports sub par results.

I did keep my ESB sideshow Vader just because I wanted to have one from ESB. I missed that too, gave him a hot toys terminator body and lowered his dome.

I am in kind of a weird spot with my Vader - I own the ESB SS one but think the HT one looks clearly superior. Problem is, I have no desire to own an ANH Vader. So I either ride it out with the ESB one for potentially a long time or buy the superior figure which isn't the style I want. Leaning towards waiting it out, but I think the HT Vader looks superb.

Neither one is accurate and both require extensive modding/customizing to look accurate. I'm sure there will be a lot of kitbashing of parts between both Sideshow and Hot Toys to build the Ultimate Vader.

I was originally gonna sell my MISB SS Vader which I just received after being stuck for bout a year due to some container / dock problems. Because I'm bout to receive the ultimate 1/6 Vader from Hurricane this year so I don't think I need a subpar version. But no one seems interested in it even though I was selling it for below retail.

When I was at the hobby shop to pick up some paint, I saw a displayed one and was surprised that it looks pretty awesome u modded, fresh out of the box. So after going home, I opened it and displayed it. I think it's a pretty well made figure. Think I'll give the body swap a try. I have a HT arnie body that I don't use.

Last edited:
Looks like 12 Sideshow employees have voted so far. :D Sideshow Vader can look great on photos but the fit and finish is just not at HT's level. The body they use, which is the foundation for any great figure imo, is kinda crappy especially around the pelvis area. I could not achieve the right natural anatomical weight distribution with different poses that can be easily done on TTM's or even other aftermarket bodies out there. But all in all it's the fit and finish that tilts the scales in favor of the upcoming HT Vader.

Ray, how did you fit the shoes pegs on the HT Arnold body?

I just tried it. The neck is too long - exposing the skin part as well.

Last edited:
I have the Sideshow Vader and I hate the way the pants bunch up in the front. I have to use the robe to hide that area. I am sure the Hot Toys version will have a better body so the clothes will fit better.

I don't see how anyone can judge the HT figure until it is actually released. We have only seen images of the proto and haven't handled the production piece as of yet.

I think we've seen plenty enough pictures to judge whether we like it or not (shots from nearly every angle, and in every kind of lighting). What's hard at the moment is comparing it properly with the Sideshow figure.

Back