Darth Talon Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darth Talon...only been collecting statues for 2 years and when i saw her both joy and utter soul crushing sadness when i seen her on ebay. Like all women (aha) I will be forced to stare at her longingly though a window that will never break. Perhaps it is better this way. From any photo i can tell there isn't a single flaw but in person i might just find one. Perhaps by never owning i'll never take it for granted. That perfect statue that will always remain out of reach on its pedestal while I do naught but watch the lucky few able to bask in its glory.

It was a sealed EX.
Sex doesnt sell always. Hulk PF is a big ugly piece of **** but eveyone sure wants to pay way to much for him

She's such a great statue but I can't bring myself to buy her. The things I could buy for $1000 or more...I just can't do it. First of all, the price annoys me because not many people were fans of the character previously. She's just a half naked sith and people jumped all over it. I can say pretty confidently more people who own her never read "Legacy" than did. As a fan of the series and the character it should have been a great piece for me. But people are apparently obsessed with sexy aliens. No matter how well made the statue is that bugs me as someone who liked the character before I knew about the statue. Sideshow knows sex sells too. That's why they took one of my favorite (Mostly) EU characters, Shaak Ti, and chose to do a sexed up version of her from the Force Unleashed. Now I love the Force Unleashed. It's one of my favorite Star Wars stories, but taking away Shaak Ti's awesome robes to try and sex up a freaking middle aged woman was a flaw in my eyes. Probably the only one I could find. But it was small and it certainly didn't bother me too much. What bothered me was when sideshow did the sexed up version of a great character, even though she's a middle aged woman, so they could sell it to the lowest common denominator. Same reason they did Aayla instead of any other jedi. Now don't get me wrong I like Aayla and hope to add her to my collection soon. Her and Quinlan Vos' story along with Obi-Wan and Asajj's story were the best things about the Dark Horse Clone Wars series. She's another great character. But we all know she was produced instead of other jedi because they could sell her to the (Once again) lowest common denominator.

Now I still like Talon. And I would likely consider purchasing her at some point (Ignore my sig, I can't figure out how to change it on the new site) if not for the fact that she likely won't be cannon any more, at least I would assume so with the new movies and the story group. As a die hard EU fan I'm ok with cutting the later post ROTJ material to make new movies because it could mean adapting parts of many of those stories in a better storytelling format for a bigger audience. But I can't bring myself to plop down 1k plus for a character that may not be cannon anymore.

Now I should say, there are some people, like DarthChris, who found out about the character, researched legacy, enjoyed it, and then purchased the statue. The problem isn't star wars fans like him. It's the fanboys with alien sex fantasies driving the price up and it bugs the heck out of me. I like Legacy enough that I would probably still pay the price of any other PF on the secondary market for her despite the retcon of Legacy, but not $1000.

If there's anything to take away from my little rant, it's that I wish sideshow would be more brave with their character choices and design. Doing a real Shaak Ti statue even though her body is completely covered up, for example, would have been so great.

I should also say that Shaak Ti was one of my first statues as she's one of my favorite characters and the statue is one of Sideshow's best Star Wars pieces. Shaak Ti is better than no Shaak Ti after all. Perhaps it isn't the best example since the sexed up statue came out so great, but my point still stands as to why they did it. It's a continuation of a bad trend.

They should look at Asajj. One of there earlier Star Wars PFs. A completely covered up female character who now fetches a higher price than most Star Wars PFs. People will buy characters they like Sideshow. They don't have to be naked. The comic/novel incarnation is my personal favorite star wars character and that's the version you based the PF on. That's why I bought it, and that's why it's my favorite statue. That's what needs to be considered when developing products. Good characters and character design. Not which female is "hottest." It makes it look like you see female characters as nothing but eye candy, which is shameful.

/end

Shaak Ti doesn't look middle age to me. :)

I know she was on several episodes of The Clone Wars, she was in charge of the cloning facility

Shaak Ti doesn't look middle age to me. :)

I know she was on several episodes of The Clone Wars, she was in charge of the cloning facility

Ugh. As an eu fan if I had to go into all of the reasons I despise that show we'd be here forever. She may have looked a bit younger in the show, but in the films and EU she's always been middle aged. And even though its never specified exactly we have an idea. We can even use Obi-Wan for reference. He was 36 at the time of his ascension to the council and he was considered YOUNG for that. The fact that she's a master by episode 1 when he's still a padawan and on the council by episode 2 means she's probably AT LEAST 40 by episode 3 when Obi-Wan is on the council with her. And then she doesn't die for 16 more years. She was like 66 at the time of her "sexy statue." She was technically a senior for ****s sake!

She's such a great statue but I can't bring myself to buy her. The things I could buy for $1000 or more...I just can't do it. First of all, the price annoys me because not many people were fans of the character previously. She's just a half naked sith and people jumped all over it. I can say pretty confidently more people who own her never read "Legacy" than did. As a fan of the series and the character it should have been a great piece for me. But people are apparently obsessed with sexy aliens. No matter how well made the statue is that bugs me as someone who liked the character before I knew about the statue. Sideshow knows sex sells too. That's why they took one of my favorite (Mostly) EU characters, Shaak Ti, and chose to do a sexed up version of her from the Force Unleashed. Now I love the Force Unleashed. It's one of my favorite Star Wars stories, but taking away Shaak Ti's awesome robes to try and sex up a freaking middle aged woman was a flaw in my eyes. Probably the only one I could find. But it was small and it certainly didn't bother me too much. What bothered me was when sideshow did the sexed up version of a great character, even though she's a middle aged woman, so they could sell it to the lowest common denominator. Same reason they did Aayla instead of any other jedi. Now don't get me wrong I like Aayla and hope to add her to my collection soon. Her and Quinlan Vos' story along with Obi-Wan and Asajj's story were the best things about the Dark Horse Clone Wars series. She's another great character. But we all know she was produced instead of other jedi because they could sell her to the (Once again) lowest common denominator.

Now I still like Talon. And I would likely consider purchasing her at some point (Ignore my sig, I can't figure out how to change it on the new site) if not for the fact that she likely won't be cannon any more, at least I would assume so with the new movies and the story group. As a die hard EU fan I'm ok with cutting the later post ROTJ material to make new movies because it could mean adapting parts of many of those stories in a better storytelling format for a bigger audience. But I can't bring myself to plop down 1k plus for a character that may not be cannon anymore.

Now I should say, there are some people, like DarthChris, who found out about the character, researched legacy, enjoyed it, and then purchased the statue. The problem isn't star wars fans like him. It's the fanboys with alien sex fantasies driving the price up and it bugs the heck out of me. I like Legacy enough that I would probably still pay the price of any other PF on the secondary market for her despite the retcon of Legacy, but not $1000.

If there's anything to take away from my little rant, it's that I wish sideshow would be more brave with their character choices and design. Doing a real Shaak Ti statue even though her body is completely covered up, for example, would have been so great.

I should also say that Shaak Ti was one of my first statues as she's one of my favorite characters and the statue is one of Sideshow's best Star Wars pieces. Shaak Ti is better than no Shaak Ti after all. Perhaps it isn't the best example since the sexed up statue came out so great, but my point still stands as to why they did it. It's a continuation of a bad trend.

They should look at Asajj. One of there earlier Star Wars PFs. A completely covered up female character who now fetches a higher price than most Star Wars PFs. People will buy characters they like Sideshow. They don't have to be naked. The comic/novel incarnation is my personal favorite star wars character and that's the version you based the PF on. That's why I bought it, and that's why it's my favorite statue. That's what needs to be considered when developing products. Good characters and character design. Not which female is "hottest." It makes it look like you see female characters as nothing but eye candy, which is shameful.

/end

She was actually priced at around $600 for a long long time before Aayla was announced

tumblr_mnbuhy27XO1r3s0kxo3_400.gif

Back