Premium Format Darth Maul

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my take, given that there have been four stages of Maul, those being with:

#1 - normal/flesh legs, as he originally appeared in Ep. I
#2 - spider-like cybernetic legs, as he first appeared in TCW
#3 - mechanical (chicken) legs made by Talzin from destroyed bodies of super battle droids, later in TCW
#4 - humanoid (slimmer) legs put by medical droids, also from TCW

So based on those, another PF from Ep. I may make sense because his horns and the double-bladed lightsaber from the film match the teaser photo. But IMO chances are slim for having this one, simply because we already have one in PF form. And to me that's one of Sideshow's best PF's made. His body overall is proportional, and the pose is very dynamic, and familiar. Unlike the 1:2 Legacy scale, which to me he seems to have short legs, and his pose seems very awkward.

Spider-like Legged Maul, #2, would be a great new/fresh statue; however, I think that will be a super massive PF -- especially if Sideshow makes it with those new elevated base styles! Though, if they managed to produce the Scout Trooper on a Bike PF, then anything's possible. But, as others have pointed out, the horns in the teaser photo are trimmed and civil, as opposed to how they were when he had the spider-like legs. And like others have pointed out, he didn't have his double-bladed lightsaber at the time.

As for the Maul with mechanical (chicken) legs, #3, Sideshow already made one, and I don't know how they can top that one. Also, at the time he had non-trimmed long horns and didn't have the double-bladed lightsaber, as shown in the teaser photo. So that's not an option either.

Then we have #4, Maul with his humanoid (slimmer) mechanical legs. Now, during that stage, his horns were trimmed/shortened, but he still didn't have his original double-bladed lightsaber. So my guess is that, this is the Maul with with his humanoid (slimmer) legs after he was defeated by Darth Sidious, and it's during the time when he's transitioning from TCW into the rumored appearance in the Rebels, where he replaces his lightsaber with similar to the one he originally had in Ep. I. To me this makes sense, because one other possibility will be to have on pre-Ep. I, but we already had Mythos that covered that timeline (and we know how that ended up.) So I'm betting on seeing this Maul to be revealed soon.

Which one are you betting on to see that it's revealed?

Makes most sense if its with his humanoid mechanical legs. Since they can basically only do new canon versions of characters. So this has to be something from either TCW or the Son of Dathomir comic. But he never had his doubled bladed saber in either of those...so I'm not sure exactly where this version of Maul comes from. I'd love for him to have his Dark Saber though. Would be such a cool light up feature for a statue!

Probably the humanoid legs (#4). I really hope they do a Vader vs Maul fight in Rebels! Or they could have him show up on Tatooine and let Obi-Wan finish the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would bet this will either be an upcoming version of Maul from Rebels, or its going to be Sideshow's own take on the character pre-Episode 1.

I'm still not thrilled we are getting now a third Maul, instead of so many other characters they haven't even made 1 version of yet.

I would bet this will either be an upcoming version of Maul from Rebels, or its going to be Sideshow's own take on the character pre-Episode 1.

I'm still not thrilled we are getting now a third Maul, instead of so many other characters they haven't even made 1 version of yet.

...Maul isn't/hasn't been confirmed to show up in Rebels. Not saying he won't, but I HIGHLY doubt Disney would have SS spoil that big surprise.

Would really hard to be pre-Episode I since there is nothing that's canonical that's pre-Ep I. We know that Disney has put sanctions on SS, no more EU stuff for the moment. So this HAS to be a Maul from the new canonical universe. Which is:

Ep I - VI (and subsequent new films of course)
The Clone Wars TV series
The Rebels TV series (which Maul hasn't been seen, mentioned, or teased to be in)
The Dark Horse 'Son of Dathomir' comic (the ONLY other comic besides the Marvel comics that's canon)
The new Marvel Star Wars comics (which Maul hasn't appeared in)
The new books - only 5 our right now (which Maul hasn't appeared in)

Best guess is TCW series. Not sure how much liberty they can take with a statue that has to be in the new canon. Only time will tell. Wonder if they're allowed to do all concept art from films since Disney has allowed them to use Ralph McQuarrie concept art. Sad that the new RM series took over the Mythos line.

They really need to show off this piece some more!

...Maul isn't/hasn't been confirmed to show up in Rebels. Not saying he won't, but I HIGHLY doubt Disney would have SS spoil that big surprise.

Would really hard to be pre-Episode I since there is nothing that's canonical that's pre-Ep I. We know that Disney has put sanctions on SS, no more EU stuff for the moment. So this HAS to be a Maul from the new canonical universe. Which is:

Ep I - VI (and subsequent new films of course)
The Clone Wars TV series
The Rebels TV series (which Maul hasn't been seen, mentioned, or teased to be in)
The Dark Horse 'Son of Dathomir' comic (the ONLY other comic besides the Marvel comics that's canon)
The new Marvel Star Wars comics (which Maul hasn't appeared in)
The new books - only 5 our right now (which Maul hasn't appeared in)

Best guess is TCW series. Not sure how much liberty they can take with a statue that has to be in the new canon. Only time will tell. Wonder if they're allowed to do all concept art from films since Disney has allowed them to use Ralph McQuarrie concept art. Sad that the new RM series took over the Mythos line.

They really need to show off this piece some more!

I really don't know exactly what is entailed in Disney's sanctions on Sideshow anymore at this moment, all I know they had to supposedly stop producing new Mythos pieces because of it, and that was over a year ago. I pretty much take the new Fett PF as SS's interpretation of the character from ESB because there was never a moment in the film where he was standing on that thing, yet I don't see Disney having a problem with it. I just don't know what kinds of limitations are and aren't in place anymore.

The only reason that I thought it may have been from Rebels is because I don't see that much more info coming on this piece for quite awhile, possibly years, because SS has announced other SW PFs that still have not been shown yet. If this version was from Rebels there probably would still be plenty of time for him to show up on the show before SS would spoil his design with a full reveal. Just my $0.02. I don't even know if Maul will be in Rebels.

Ok. So I'm thinking of getting a Maul for my display. What do you guys think is the best representation of him? Should I wait for this one?

Honestly, I hope The Force Awakens stuff comes first... Then I can move on instead of living in the nightmare of a past. Episode 1-3 make my insides hurt.

If my calculations are correct, Episode 7 products should be available around the same time episodes 10-12 are given the go-ahead by Disney. The new Maul will come out somewhere in between.

If my calculations are correct, Episode 7 products should be available around the same time episodes 10-12 are given the go-ahead by Disney. The new Maul will come out somewhere in between.

We've already been told we will SEE the Ep 7 products around the time of film release. Receiving them within 1.5 years of that

It is in development.

a771f6248443100f6e9b0845719ec43e.jpg

Thanks Gothic Soul for Pic.

Source: Rebelscum.com: 2015 San Diego Comic-Con: The Star Wars Collectibles Update Panel

Please no robot legs! please!

Back