Premium Format Darth Maul

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New canonical asajj is the worst and Dark Disciple makes me want to stick needles in Dave Filoni's eyes.

Now that they added Vos to the mix there is only a few more "Republic" characters for them to ruin.

If you want to do new stories come up with your own characters. Don't take the names of others and completely change them in every way. The whole Clone Wars project is just a bastardization of better stories and characters.

So if Sideshow could ignore it and start working on characters from the films they haven't done like someone above said (Starting with Mace Windu or Ewan's Obi-wan) that would be great.

Well that's your opinion, and that's cool if you feel that way...but the "new" Asajj isn't going anywhere. She's very much established in canon now due to the CW show and is still cemented in the new canon with Dark Disciple. So they aren't taking the names of characters and changing them in every way, Asajj has been like she's currently is for years and is not going back. She's the actual character now and is fleshed out so much more than the non-canon version of her.

She's not new anymore, she's just Asajj. Most people don't remember or care about that non-canon version of her. It's cool that you do, I sincerely mean that, but to continue complaining about her and saying you want authors not to use her name for this "new" Asajj is kind of redundant at this point. They won't be changing her back.

So with that, there's a ton of us Star Wars fans want an actual canon version of Asajj Ventress. With her combat garb on and no flowing weird skirt thing please. If they can do Darth Maul multiple times, don't see why they shouldn't do an updated Asajj Ventress. Espically considering she's one of the more interesting canon characters they can choose from and they can't pull some of the more exotic looking characters from the EU anymore.

I heard Darth Maul might appear in Rebels season 2 .. maybe thats that version SSC is working on ?

I heard Darth Maul might appear in Rebels season 2 .. maybe thats that version SSC is working on ?

Could be, last time we saw him canonically was in the Son of Dathomir comic. He just kind of flew off into space. Can't see them just leaving him off the table for future stuff, be it book or show.

Hope he pops up in the Obi Wan solo film. Clone wars set up a rivalry there.

Ugh. The fact that we even have to debate whether this is revived darth maul drives me nuts. Him being alive is beyond stupid. I like the character but come on.

I hate the clone wars. So much. I'm just gonna exit this thread. :lol

Well that's your opinion, and that's cool if you feel that way...but the "new" Asajj isn't going anywhere. She's very much established in canon now due to the CW show and is still cemented in the new canon with Dark Disciple. So they aren't taking the names of characters and changing them in every way, Asajj has been like she's currently is for years and is not going back. She's the actual character now and is fleshed out so much more than the non-canon version of her.

She's not new anymore, she's just Asajj. Most people don't remember or care about that non-canon version of her. It's cool that you do, I sincerely mean that, but to continue complaining about her and saying you want authors not to use her name for this "new" Asajj is kind of redundant at this point. They won't be changing her back.

So with that, there's a ton of us Star Wars fans want an actual canon version of Asajj Ventress. With her combat garb on and no flowing weird skirt thing please. If they can do Darth Maul multiple times, don't see why they shouldn't do an updated Asajj Ventress. Espically considering she's one of the more interesting canon characters they can choose from and they can't pull some of the more exotic looking characters from the EU anymore.

I said I was leaving but this deserves a response.

I don't expect them to change her name now. Obviously it's too late for that. What I'm saying is it was disrespectful to those who created the character and fans of her to toss her story aside and replace it with the shallow kiddy garbage I find the Clone Wars to be. And it's not just her. There's quite a few instances of this.

Secondly, no kidding new Asajj is more popular than the original. The Clone Wars tv series by the nature of its medium had many more eyes viewing it than some old Republic comics could ever hope to. I would argue that most Star Wars fans out there aren't really familiar with the actual character compared to the new one. (And yes, I refer to her old incarnation as the "actual character" because I think the people who cultivated the character have a right to that versus Dave Filoni and co. who simply hijacked their superior work for their own needs) So of course no one is familiar with the old character. Nobody other than die hard fans know about her. Popular =/= good. Given the opportunity I think a movie or show that told her original story would blow anything the clone wars did out of the water. Obviously the comic is pretty meh on its own. It's a comic. The narrative is limited by the medium. There is very little room for substance and nuance in such a format. But the basic story is there and the right person could do wonders with it if they fleshed it out.

But regardless of our differing opinions on the character, I don't see the current canon outside of the new films lasting very long. Ridiculous things like Anakin having a padawan never mentioned in the films (I like Ashoka as a character but really?), Darth Maul being alive, diminishing asajj in her final story arc into a love interest for a previously unimportant character within the new canon, Anakin and Dooku fighting so often it's a joke ("My powers have doubled since the last time we met count!" "Your powers have doubled since last week?"), etc.

Much like Republic I don't think anyone will remember or care about dark disciple in ten years. I think they will be very rigid about the canon for ten years or so before things start falling apart again. They are already repeating the mistakes that made them scrap the EU.

I said I was leaving but this deserves a response.

I don't expect them to change her name now. Obviously it's too late for that. What I'm saying is it was disrespectful to those who created the character and fans of her to toss her story aside and replace it with the shallow kiddy garbage I find the Clone Wars to be. And it's not just her. There's quite a few instances of this.

Secondly, no kidding new Asajj is more popular than the original. The Clone Wars tv series by the nature of its medium had many more eyes viewing it than some old Republic comics could ever hope to. I would argue that most Star Wars fans out there aren't really familiar with the actual character compared to the new one. (And yes, I refer to her old incarnation as the "actual character" because I think the people who cultivated the character have a right to that versus Dave Filoni and co. who simply hijacked their superior work for their own needs) So of course no one is familiar with the old character. Nobody other than die hard fans know about her. Popular =/= good. Given the opportunity I think a movie or show that told her original story would blow anything the clone wars did out of the water. Obviously the comic is pretty meh on its own. It's a comic. The narrative is limited by the medium. There is very little room for substance and nuance in such a format. But the basic story is there and the right person could do wonders with it if they fleshed it out.

But regardless of our differing opinions on the character, I don't see the current canon outside of the new films lasting very long. Ridiculous things like Anakin having a padawan never mentioned in the films (I like Ashoka as a character but really?), Darth Maul being alive, diminishing asajj in her final story arc into a love interest for a previously unimportant character within the new canon, Anakin and Dooku fighting so often it's a joke ("My powers have doubled since the last time we met count!" "Your powers have doubled since last week?"), etc.

Much like Republic I don't think anyone will remember or care about dark disciple in ten years. I think they will be very rigid about the canon for ten years or so before things start falling apart again. They are already repeating the mistakes that made them scrap the EU.

Yeah but that's the thing, you can call the old version the "actual character" all you want...but the canon version is the actual character...since its ya know...canon. It was always Lucas's character. So he could do anything he liked, or let anyone he ok'd do anything they like, with her. Plus other than the comics, which as you stated were meh, the original clones wars show was...pretty lackluster. It was animated light saber battle extravaganza. That show was more about the animation vs the stories/characters. Very little substance other than flashy battles. Asajj is MUCH more fleshed out now than she ever was.

But if you think the new canon isn't going to last long...well good luck with that. Disney has established a very clear direction that they are taking with Star Wars, and that's uniformity. That's why they threw everything out to establish the new canon that they have a tight reign on. No more random books by various offers that could even condridict each other. Everything must go through a process before being let out to the fan base. No way they are going to trash it now. And considering how long the last era lasted before it was scrapped...I think it will be a LONG time, if ever honestly, before they scrap the whole thing again. They've committed to Clone Wars, Ashoka, and even Darth Maul not being dead.

I mean, Asajj fans will probably still care about Dark Disciple but the general SW readers may not. Just like how majority of fans don't care about non-canon Asajj or the original animated CW. Popularity doesn't equate to good, you're right...but it's a pretty good indication of trends and what more people/fans like. So to them it is "good". Good is subjective, but the amount of people who find it good isn't.

I don't know man, I just embrace change. Can't do anything about it, might as well roll with it. Plus it doesn't affect all the old non-canon stuff I still love. Thrown trilogy is still just as good as before they tossed it. This is easily the best time for Star Wars fans. We're getting new content announced all time!

And that, everyone, brings us...back to the new Maul PF! Can't wait to see this thing! Really hope they give us updated versions of some other fan favorites! New characters are also always a welcome sight to see. But I'm looking forward to this new Maul PF and will be hoping they revisit Asajj Ventress in the future. I'll even take her awesome bounty hunter look with hair! Let's all be pumped that SS hasn't forgotten about Star Wars PF's!!!

I am just happy to get something darth maul as well. Many of my favorite Star Wars characters are those who were not very flushed out . IE Boba Fett original trilogy, then darth maul in ep 1.

It's just fun to wonder who they are and all that...

Maul is probably my favorite SW character but I wish SS would make some more new characters instead of rehashing their old ones. We still don't have a Lando, Greedo, Bossk, Mace, Qui-Gon, a McGregor Obi-Wan, or an Amidala.

Yeah, I don't get it. I know Maul is popular and all but this will be his third PF while there is still no Lando, Mace, Padme, or Qui-Gon. There's still only one Obi-Wan and Han still only has one true PF (I think of the carbonite one as more of an accessory).

They're going where the money is. But yeah, I'd like to see other PF's.

Bingo.

For such little screen time, Maul was def the breakout character of the prequels. He has a interesting look and that air of mystery surrounding him. He was just the most exotic looking character in the prequels, which is why his face is plastered on almost anything that Disney puts Star Aars characters on.

Plus non-human character PF's seem to be vastly more popular than normal human character PF's.

I'm honestly hoping we get an adult Ahsoka PF sometime in the future!

I believe well be getting alot of new PFs when the new movie comes out. So better start saving!

Instagram: soysith

Yeah. I think Disney has somewhat slowed production of all pieces. So when episode 7 hits, there can be a flood of ep 7 statues, figures, lunch boxes, etc. Then they will allow production of other items to continue as well.

I read a very interesting theory on Darth Maul and his relevance the other day. Will be nice to see if it pans out.

Yeah. I think Disney has somewhat slowed production of all pieces. So when episode 7 hits, there can be a flood of ep 7 statues, figures, lunch boxes, etc. Then they will allow production of other items to continue as well.

I read a very interesting theory on Darth Maul and his relevance the other day. Will be nice to see if it pans out.

Doubtful, HT is steam rolling ahead SS is still putting out plenty of 1/6th. They are slowing down on PFs on their own :<

I believe Alex said something maybe by the end of the year, no ?

Sure hoping we get a Star Wars PF pre-order tonight. It has been ages!

I'd be all about that. They looked far enough along on this to give us a preview pick with photo shopped colors a la spiderman.

I believe Alex said something maybe by the end of the year, no ?

Ya, she said we should get 1, maybe 2 PF pre-orders before the end of the year. It's almost August, hopefully something shows up soon!

Back