Customizing Aragorn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't end up getting Faramir. Waited too long honestly. I went with something else that will at least look better than if I went with what he has on underneath. Eventually, I might try to figure something out that works the best.

I'd like to customize my Aragorn a bit. I need to pick up an extra pair of Boromirs Vembraces but what shirt should I go with since his is short sleeved? Plus I need to grab an extra Boromir Eleven Cloak.

I bought two Aragorn and two Boromir figures (1 exclusive each). Didn't hurt that I got them all dirt cheap. :duff
I purchased a set of Faramir vem/membraces from Toy Anxiety and plan to paint them to match Boromir's.

aragornargonathui7.jpg

Looks good! I thought about buying Faramir's but decided to just try and see if I could get a second Boromir. He should be here any day now.

TBQH, I don't like ANY commercially available 1/6th chainmaille. my advice to you is look up how to make chainmaille, then buy some bracelet wire, a tiny metal rod, and start making rings.

it' swhat I'm working on doing for gimli.

TBQH, I don't like ANY commercially available 1/6th chainmaille. my advice to you is look up how to make chainmaille, then buy some bracelet wire, a tiny metal rod, and start making rings.

And 10 years later, nearsighted vision shot and carpel tunnel in both wrists, you'll have a complete 1:6 coat of chain mail armor! :p

There is no way in hell that will ever have the time and patience to make my own chainmail. :lol

And 10 years later, nearsighted vision shot and carpel tunnel in both wrists, you'll have a complete 1:6 coat of chain mail armor! :p

Heh, It's not THAT bad. At one point in time I made 1:1 wearale armor for profit. Selling things to SCAguys and Larper Guys. Plate Armor was EASY money. you could make 250-500 USd in an afternnon On Plate armor. chainmaille is more time consuming, but if you've got 2 or 3 guys, you can make a shirt a week ( usualy all anyone ever buys, give or take an occasional Coif) I'm still cutting rings to make a skirt and some sleeves for gimli. after that, i'll do aragorn. It's time consuming, and a PAIN IN THE ASS, but the end result is so very worth it.

would I ever make Chainmaille again on commission? No. But i'll gladly teach anyone who wants to learn to make the stuff.

My only thnig right now is time, and not having enough. Senior Year is kicking my ass.

i think the rubber mail looks great! i thought you guys all slated it because apparently it just looks like rubber? i just ordered a bunch of material ignite mail, kinda wish I'd ordered the rubber now!:crying love the weathering too!:clap

The problem with rubber is that it bunches up at articulation points and tends to restrict movement. If you were to bend the figure's arm at the elbow, in no time the arm will straighten itself out due to the rubber applying counter-pressure as it goes back to its original shape.

The other big drawback with rubber is that it deteriorates over time. Sometimes it just dries up and cracks at the articulation points, and other times it starts liquifying, which could potentially ruin your figure.

So, even though rubber looks more realistic than the material alernative, it also has inherent problems. The best solution would be actual 1:6 scale chainmail, but I doubt a figure's legs could support the weight. You'd be picking it up off the floor on a daily basis.

The problem with rubber is that it bunches up at articulation points and tends to restrict movement. If you were to bend the figure's arm at the elbow, in no time the arm will straighten itself out due to the rubber applying counter-pressure as it goes back to its original shape.

The other big drawback with rubber is that it deteriorates over time. Sometimes it just dries up and cracks at the articulation points, and other times it starts liquifying, which could potentially ruin your figure.

I haven't had either of these problems at all with various rubber chainmail bits.

cheers for the info, i thought the new polymers were supposed to be far superior to say the old 80's GI Joe scuba suit that definitely had the splitting, rotting and liquidification probs? i can understand the bunching up and posing probs though.

i finally up and paid someone (smallstudios) to paint aragorn and faramir for me. it'll be like getting completely new figures. if he doesn't get too backed up by the time we get merry and pippen, I'm going through him for those too.

cheers for the info, i thought the new polymers were supposed to be far superior to say the old 80's GI Joe scuba suit that definitely had the splitting, rotting and liquidification probs? i can understand the bunching up and posing probs though.

Oh sure, they've developed better polymers that resist the drying and decomposition much more than previous materials, but they will still deteriorate in time. Whereas it used to take 5-10 years for signs of deterioration to show up, it now takes 15, 20 or more. It's not a big deal if you intend to replace those rubber bits every couple of decades or so, but I wouldn't leave my figures in storage for any prolonged period of time.

Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

i've seen roughly 1/6 scale chain mail in some wierd places like on handbags (purses) etc... have a look on eBay.

Back