Custom made Han Solo in Carbonite Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the compliments. Here's another update:

I finished the carbonite block today. I repainted everything. I did the actual carbonite portion in a lighter grey with a bit of silver mixed in. Then did the surrounding structure in a bit darker grey. I also repainted the controls in aluminum. Then added the electronics. I recreated the two green (oscilloscope) screens at the top on either side then added a bunch of LEDs. Some are on all the time and some flash at different intervals. There wasn't a lot of reference material on the control pods, so I made most of it up. I think it looks pretty good, no too much like a Christmas tree! :lol

I still have some touch up to do on the paint, but I'm basically finished.

That's a really nice piece of electronics there, bet the light show kicks this into another gear:hi5:

Paint job is excellent too nice and clean.

Is the wiring a kit or are you the mastermind electronics genius ?

If you are, do you have a wiring diagram so that we mere mortals could have a go at this ?

Love the work you are putting in on this, can't wait for the next update

I have PDFs of all my drawings but have nowhere to host them so here's crappy JPGs.

FYI - In the schematic "R5+, R5-, Y5+, Y5-" etc. are solder points for the LEDs. All component values may differ depending on the voltage source you use and how bright you want the LEDs. I'm using a 12V wall adapter.

Last edited:
In case you were wondering the black electrical tape on the LEDs is simply there to prevent light backwash. All connections are soldered and the LEDs are hot glued in place. You could probably use black GOOP. That would probably block the light as well. I didn't have any.

Thanks Natedog, seems like a fairly easy Bit of electronics.

Will certainly give it a go.

Again excellent work

Nice work Natedog. The extra work done to the carbonite block looks great. Looking forward to seeing it lit up. Good stuff. :)

Update:

Finished the plaster. Still have some clean up to do and a little sanding. Almost ready for paint. It'll either make or break the whole thing.

In hindsight, I should have saved the grey vertical pieces on the back wall and installed them after the plastering. Going around those was a nightmare. Painting them wont be any easier.

Got some nice texture. I used regular spackling and a putty knife. Then wiped it all down with a damp sponge to smooth things out. Then to add some texture by dabbing the sponge.

I had to add this little bulkhead for the LED shining on the carbonite block. I know its not accurate but I could not figure out another way to do it.

A realy good work. I also start with the "Han in Carbon" diorama, but its not so cool as yours! Gratulation!!!

Thats really beginning to look superb, once painted this will be awesome.
With the Han Carbonite all lit up , its gonna be totally sweet

OK starting the paint over!

I was using sandy browns and tans. It ended up looking like wood. I went back to reference photos and confirmed that the walls are definitley grey. If you look close, even in the moonlight you can see the sand on the ground and compared to that the walls are grey. Maybe a slight brownish grey. I'm having a tough time creating the right look, so please be patient. This is my first dio and I'm new to airbrushing too. Big learning curve here.

The color is the hardest part on a diorama. Here is a picture of my 4 inch "Han in Carbonite"

DSC08970.JPG

This is going to be so awesome.....someday I'll make my own and this is going to be my turorial! Great work and can't wait to see it finished!!!

Back