Custom made Han Solo in Carbonite Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natedog

Super Freak
Reaction score
FINISHED!!!!!!!

I started a custom 1/6 scale diorama of Han in carbonite being displayed in Jabba's palace and being rescued by Boushh/Leia. This is a work in progress, and I intend to upload pics as I go along. I have a good start on the basic framing. Hope you guys like it! :)

Last edited:
cool! do you have the ss han in carbonite or is it going to be custom, either way, looking forward to seeing the finished project which is looking great.

I'm actually using a Hasbro Carbonite block. The plan is repaint and add electronics inside as well. Stay tuned. I am using the SS Boushh though.

are you going to be listing in depth tutorials ?
for instance how the heck did you make the grates ?
beautiful work though coming along really nice cant wait to see more

Thanks for all the complements.

betic1 - I don't plan on making a detailed tutorial, but I will post up a short explanation if you like. I will also post some drawings with dimensions that I made once I'm finished.

The grates were make from wood you can get at the craft store. Its pre-cut in various sizes. Really handy for this type of work. I used 1/8" x 1/16" for the grate base and 1/8 x 1/8" for the cross members.

I am putting electronics in yes.

I hit my first snag last night actually involving the moonlight coming through the upper vents. A simple LED will not work given the wavelength of the beam. The LED would need to be about 16" above the grates in order to create the required shadow effect on the floor. Gonna have to put some more though into it.

looking great so far !! really curious to see more progress pictures !

Thanks for all the complements.
betic1 - I don't plan on making a detailed tutorial, but I will post up a short explanation if you like. I will also post some drawings with dimensions that I made once I'm finished.

Looks amazing so far. :clap I bought the Hasbro Han in Carbonite to do just this, so I'm going to be following this thread intently. Pictures along with drawings with dimensions will be greatly appreciated. :hi5:

Made some more progress:

Upper vents complete. I plan on shining a light source from above down through them to create the shadows on the floor like in the movie, but its proving a little more difficult than anticipated. They look a bit off in the photo since they are not mounted yet. They will be attached in behind the bulkhead.

Also some before pics of the Hasbro Carbonite block: As you can see its not perfect. The inside portion is actually raised and not flush as it should be. All and all its not a bad piece. I thought about taking my dremel and cutting out the center portion and re-attaching it flush but that would mean filling in the cap it would create and I suck at that so I may just leave it as is.

Made some more progress.

Rear bulkhead is now mounted

Han is now in his new home.

...and a sneak peek. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics. The LEDs look red in the photo but are actually orange. I'm still tweaking the final color.

wow can't believe how the whole look changes just by adding lighting.
Well impressed mate, it's an excellent piece of work.

Looking forward to seeing this painted up.

Last edited:
great dio...I wish I had the same skills to work on such a detailed dio. I saw a hasbro one too before, but thought I won't be able to pull one great dio to go with it. :D great job!

Very cool stuff. Mad skills. Looks like a challenging project you've undertaken. Keep up the great work.

Back