Custom made Han Solo in Carbonite Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The color is the hardest part on a diorama. Here is a picture of my 4 inch "Han in Carbonite"

DSC08970.JPG

Thanks! That's roughly the color I was using, but after adding adding some darker detailing it started looking like burnt wood. lol

Getting some new paint in a few days, so I can start over. Uugh

I bet you thought I forgot about this guy eh?

I did forget to take a photo of step 1 so we'll start at step 2.

Step 1: Control panel is 1-7/8" x 2-1/4" and the hole is 1-1/4" square offset from the right and top edges by 3/16"

Step 2:
cut your 1/16" square strips to roughly 1-1/4". They don't need to be exact as you can trim later. Better to be too long than too short.. Then arrange them around the perimeter of the hole and glue in place.

Step 3:
Fill in the corners with plastic wood. I used waaay to much, but you get the idea.

Step 4:
Clean it all up. I used a dremel with a small sanding drum for the inside corners and a small square file for the outside corners

Step 5:
Now to create the back plate. It's 1-5/8" square. A bit bigger than the hole since you're going to be gluing it to the back. In case you're wondering why I made this part, it's just easier than working on the back wall itself. The back plate will actual sit in the hole I already cut in the rear wall (see previous pics). I'm using square LEDs for the buttons. You'll need to cut out 3 holes at 2mm x 5mm roughly. I drilled to holes side by side with a 1/16" drill bit, then used a small flat file to create the final shape.

Step 6:
Glue the 2 plates together.

Step 7:
Cut a 1-1/4" long piece of our strip of 1/8"x1/16' peice of wood. Place in the center and glue in place. Once finished, water down some of your glue and use a small brush to completely coat the finished panel. In particular the joints. It will fill in the cracks, strengthen everything and give a smoother overall finish.

Just a bit more cleanup and it'll be ready for paint. Then its on to the imitation electrical conduits.

Got the base coat down. I used Krylon Almond, then did a light dusting with Krylon Kakki. Turned out pretty good. Now I'll start mounting the control panel then get out the airbrush to paint the vertical pieces on the back wall and do some detail work.

I still have to do the floor but I couldn't resist posting these :panic:

Sorry for the quality. It is just an iPhone. Once its complete, I'll take some better quality photos.

Lights off

Lights on

Man that looks boss. Wish I had that kind of talent. I'd screw a project like that up royally.

natedog that is beautiful work man! love the mood lighting too. "feels" like return of the jedi. makes my simple sideshow carbonite look like a picture compared to that lol. awesome!

absolutely fabulous!!!!!
I can't remember - did you say you built those grates at the bottom?

Wake - Yes its 1/6 scale

Cc3680 - Everything was scratch built, except the Carbonite block (although it was heavily modified.)

Back