Credit Card Debt

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just decided to Pay all my **** before buying anything else! I so tired of debt and Credits Cards!! I only have the SIM cause i sold him thats it! If i dong got the money then no buying!:monkey2 I have taken controll!!! :rock YEAH!!!

Awesome!! I think you are inspiring me to do the same sir! ! :rock

This is what my order history is starting to look like....

Canceled
Canceled
Canceled
Canceled
Canceled
Canceled
Canceled
Canceled
Canceled

Feels nice but it's still sad. :lol:monkey2

I am 10k in cc debt and most of it is not from collectibles. It's from buying furniture and stuff. I'm come to the conclusion that I shall always be in cc debt. It's a part of life for me. Oh well.

I am 10k in cc debt and most of it is not from collectibles. It's from buying furniture and stuff. I'm come to the conclusion that I shall always be in cc debt. It's a part of life for me. Oh well.

I know what you mean but at the same time I think we should try to do away with that type of thinking. I honestly believe I can live without using my credit cards and I am definitely going to try and do it. The American way is to owe your life away and frankly, I am just tired of it. I don't want to owe the man anything. :chew

I know what you mean but at the same time I think we should try to do away with that type of thinking. I honestly believe I can live without using my credit cards and I am definitely going to try and do it. The American way is to owe your life away and frankly, I am just tired of it. I don't want to owe the man anything. :chew

Whats sad is the "man" is some bankers in freaking Germany or Japan.

It wont always be this way for me and this kind of living is not hurting me in anyway at this moment. Im comfortable. I don't use my cc on everyday stuff. I like expensive furniture. Say stuff from Pottery Barn and such. Just the way I am. Once my girlfriend gets a full time teaching job (she has her masters in education but couldnt get a full time job this year) I will be able to put full attention to my cc debt which yes does bother me but not to the point where I need to put all my funds I make to my card. I make enough I believe (mid 60k) but the debt shall sit until I'm comfortable to pay it. When I move more down south to where I want to go my debt will be gone by then.

yeah debit card for me also, If I can't afford it when it's shipping then it gets cancelled

I know if started putting by collecting onto credit then I'd get myself in a mess :lol

this is the way i am now... when it comes time to ship i cancel if i don't have enough to pay it off. nothing goes on the credit card anymore. i just had to cancel the 12" old ben because of this... Xmas is here and $70+ is needed elsewhere and not my toy habit. now... when the PF thing comes to ship i might put him on the CC because i really want him and i probably won't have enough cash put away after paying for the stealth iron man

I understand. Everyone is comfortable with a certain level. I just personally can't wait for the day that I am done paying them off. I once had a car payment and hated it. Now I drive a car that I own and I love that freedom. I know situations arise and everything but being debt free is a nice way to live. :peace

I understand. Everyone is comfortable with a certain level. I just personally can't wait for the day that I am done paying them off. I once had a car payment and hated it. Now I drive a car that I own and I love that freedom. I know situations arise and everything but being debt free is a nice way to live. :peace

I do agree on the car thing. I payed mine off 1 1/2 years ago. I got pissed off the other day though when someone did a hit and run and I came outside to discover a very nice dent in my fender. :monkey4

And collectible wise we can always find them! I prefer to spend more money That i actualy have then to spend money i dont have and eventually it will end up costing more cause of the interest! LONG LIVE DEBT FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure I've told this story before on this forum, so if you've heard it, skip this post.... :D

Anyway, I've always collected stuff. I was collecting vintage cameras and camera equipment, until I discovered SS. Then I started off collecting SS Star Wars PF's and then starting buying up Marvel Mini-busts and in a little over a year, I had about $15,000 in debt on the credit cards. It was at that point, I decided that if I were to go futher down the road (one of my cc had a limit of $25,000), I might possibly never catch back up.

So, I knew that I could never just stop collecting, it seems that I always need to be looking for something or anticipating some new thing to get. So I told myself that I need to get out of debt, but knowing my collecting habits, I needed to do it as quickly as possible. So this is what I did:

1. I took a second job as an office temp and I convinced the agency that I was some kind of math whiz and could handle the most difficult jobs. So they put me in a pretty high-paying post as an underwriting assistant, and I worked that job for 2 months.

2. I sold ALL my collectibles and put the money onto the CCs: all the statues and busts, and all my camera equipment. Nothing was spared. I figured that once I recovered, if I really wanted it, I would buy it again, and the increased cost would be my "punishment penalty", part of the penance for overspending the first time. I only re-bought two items that I once had, the GG Trinity on Ducati statue from Nash, and the Wonder Woman fighting Serpents, both of which did indeed come with a stiff "penalty" on the secondary market. I was lucky enough to get the only other two I wanted on 2nd chance: Leia PF exclusive and 7 of 9 Exclusive.

3. I called all the credit card companies several times to get late penaties and the higher interest rates removed. Two of the banks that I had a longer relationship did remove all the penalties (I had to call twice to get them all removed) and lowered the interest rates. Two of the other cards didn't want to do jack (Discover and Chase) although they did remove some late payments, but didn't remove the higher rates. So I had the balances transferred off those cards onto my two other cards that I had worked with already.

4. Went cold turkey on any new purchases (although I did keep pre-orders that went into the next quarter).

I paid everything off in 3 and a half months, so once I did that, I knew would get back into the statues and PFs. I set up a separate bank account for collectibles purchases and a separate CC for those purchases. It's hard to buy the higher-end collectibles with just a debit card. Anyway, I had $500 a month sent to this account with direct deposit and the remainder of the paycheck sent to my regular account.

I only spend about $6,000 a year now on collectibles purchases, pay off the CC every month or every other month, and if I need more money that the $6,000, I have to sell something for the extra funds.

No more debt from collecting! :chew

:lecture Wow, sorry for the super-long post. :lecture

Really, it didn't look that long in the editor... :monkey3

Thanks for all of the responses and suggestions. I think I am just a worry wart. My income tax refund will probably cover the card. I think I am just mad because deep down in side I want to buy more.....PREDATORS PREDATORS....Damn you be quiet. Sorry I hate it when it does that! :lol

:lecture Wow, sorry for the super-long post. :lecture

Really, it didn't look that long in the editor... :monkey3

Good for you Polystoner. I wish I could take a second part time job but with my hours (and having to be available to travel at very short notice) it makes it almost impossible. :monkey2 I am selling some of my PFs, but not enough. Right now I'm doing the balance tranfer trick.....if I can keep doing that and not have to pay interest then hopefully all will work out in about 6 months.
Out of all my pre-orders I think I'm only going to keep a few....Frodo and Sam 1/6 and RE4 Leon. No more PFs for awhile....too bloody expensive for me at this point and I'm almost out of room for such large statues. Darkness is probably the last PF I'll be getting for a long, long time. It's all cool though....this has helped me really narrow down my collection to those pieces that are important to me. I no longer have to have them all....:lol and I'm quite happy being very selective. Then when I do get something it's all the more precious to me.

Very nice story. Hopefully when I sell my house my cc debt will go bye bye.

Yeah, that was the other option I seriously considered. Except that, I knew when we got the proceeds from the sale, that I would have to send off massive checks to credit card companies. That would seriously piss off my wife. So I went with the way I chose, at least that way, it looked like my debt was solved through my pain, not at the expense so much of the family.

Back