Prop Conan the Barbarian Atlantean Sword

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats gates70, both swords are awesome, i want at least one of them, i have some marto swords and i love they work, do your swords came in wooden box?

Thanks Mastter. No, unfortunately in cardboard boxes, but it's ok they'll be hung on the wall once I can find somekind of plaque. Actually one of the boxes had a note on it saying sorry about the state of it. There was a big hole on the side. They said customs did it post 911. Thankfully the sword is ok :yess:

Damn... those are sexy. I used to prefer the Father's Sword over the Atlanteanl but seeing them side-by-side like that I'm now leaning much more towards the Atlantean.

Which is nice as its the primary sword in the flick anyways. Surprised they never sold a broken father's sword... that would be a cool variant.

Marto's Atlantean sword was cast from the albion version (which was was around $2500), and with the albion version they used the original molds from the movie. With the Father's sword Marto used their own artist to replicate it. The outcome is that the Father's sword doesn't look nearly as nice as the original version. You might still prefer the real Father's sword.

Good too know... so the albion Fathers' Sword was cast from the original?

Although if its $2,500 it doesn't really matter is I could never justify that much scratch on a collectible :lol

Father's sword was $3000, Atlantean $2500 both cast from originals. A lot of money indeed, but like HT figures, those swords are limited collectible pieces, and will only increase in value.

Marto's Atlantean sword was cast from the albion version (which was was around $2500), and with the albion version they used the original molds from the movie. With the Father's sword Marto used their own artist to replicate it. The outcome is that the Father's sword doesn't look nearly as nice as the original version. You might still prefer the real Father's sword.

Although the Albions are nice, they aren't worth the $2000 extra IMO for the little differences. It's not like I'm going into battle. They'll be wallhangers.

Although the Albions are nice, they aren't worth the $2000 extra IMO for the little differences. It's not like I'm going into battle. They'll be wallhangers.

Each collection be it swords or figures have a different perception/dedication/value from collector's point of view. Owning a real battle ready, one of a kind sword from a favorite movie has a much deeper meaning to the owner than most will understand. To us, the difference between albion and marto might be little but to collectors it's night and day. I love collecting HT figures but lets take superman for example. It'll be a grail piece, most sought after figure for so many collectors when it comes out. To me, I overlook what superman stands for...I see a primitive, outdated costume design. I was never much into comic books(although I do love iron man, and I have mark IV and whiplash).

Each collection be it swords or figures have a different perception/dedication/value from collector's point of view. Owning a real battle ready, one of a kind sword from a favorite movie has a much deeper meaning to the owner than most will understand. To us, the difference between albion and marto might be little but to collectors it's night and day. I love collecting HT figures but lets take superman for example. It'll be a grail piece, most sought after figure for so many collectors when it comes out. To me, I overlook what superman stands for...I see a primitive, outdated costume design. I was never much into comic books(although I do love iron man, and I have mark IV and whiplash).

True, but when I hear "battle ready" it always makes me laugh (and I've read that on boards everywhere). What are these people thinking they're gonna do with this ? Chop someone in half ? One way or the other it's going to hang there as a display piece. I do see your point, but for me personally it's pointless to pay $3000 to have something hang on the wall. I've also read on the other boards that the father sword is different from Marto to Albion, but the Atlantean is very close. So again, the small differences to me don't mean a thing especially when someone walks into the room and says "hey that's Conan's sword". They won't be able to tell the difference, they'll just know it's Conan's sword. Besides, is anyone that paid $3000 for a collectible ever going to admit that the other one is just as good or comes close, since they paid 4 or 5 times the price ? Hardly ever happens.

True, but when I hear "battle ready" it always makes me laugh (and I've read that on boards everywhere). What are these people thinking they're gonna do with this ? Chop someone in half ? One way or the other it's going to hang there as a display piece. I do see your point, but for me personally it's pointless to pay $3000 to have something hang on the wall. I've also read on the other boards that the father sword is different from Marto to Albion, but the Atlantean is very close. So again, the small differences to me don't mean a thing especially when someone walks into the room and says "hey that's Conan's sword". They won't be able to tell the difference, they'll just know it's Conan's sword. Besides, is anyone that paid $3000 for a collectible ever going to admit that the other one is just as good or comes close, since they paid 4 or 5 times the price ? Hardly ever happens.[/QUOT

You have many valid points but to people you payed $3000 is not only about the looks, and definitely not to be used for chopping heads off. It's about knowing that Jody Samson himself (the maker of original swords) had a hand in making their blade. It's the feel/balance of the sword, which is very different than handling a stainless steel sword. The limited quantity etc....To them it's well worth the price. How about when people pay thousands, even a million dollars for old comic books....stamps...coins...Also look at it as an investment. Albion swords are only gonna go up in value, but a pre-owned marto atlantean might not even cost the original price.

About the father's sword being different....as I mentioned above....marto used their own staff to sculpt the father's sword, but they made the molds for atlantean from the albion version.

True, but when I hear "battle ready" it always makes me laugh (and I've read that on boards everywhere). What are these people thinking they're gonna do with this ? Chop someone in half ? One way or the other it's going to hang there as a display piece. I do see your point, but for me personally it's pointless to pay $3000 to have something hang on the wall. I've also read on the other boards that the father sword is different from Marto to Albion, but the Atlantean is very close. So again, the small differences to me don't mean a thing especially when someone walks into the room and says "hey that's Conan's sword". They won't be able to tell the difference, they'll just know it's Conan's sword. Besides, is anyone that paid $3000 for a collectible ever going to admit that the other one is just as good or comes close, since they paid 4 or 5 times the price ? Hardly ever happens.

You have many valid points but to people you payed $3000 is not only about the looks, and definitely not to be used for chopping heads off. It's about knowing that Jody Samson himself (the maker of original swords) had a hand in making their blade. It's the feel/balance of the sword, which is very different than handling a stainless steel sword. The limited quantity etc....To them it's well worth the price. How about when people pay thousands, even a million dollars for old comic books....stamps...coins...Also look at it as an investment. Albion swords are only gonna go up in value, but a pre-owned marto atlantean might not even cost the original price.

About the father's sword being different....as I mentioned above....marto used their own staff to sculpt the father's sword, but they made the molds for atlantean from the albion version.

I do understand the sentimental value with Jody and stuff like that, for sure ! To each their own and I'm not trying to belittle anyone who has one or wants one. If they can afford it, all the power to them ! I also understand the feel and balance thing but again, for me it doesn't matter since I'll probably put it on the wall and it'll never be touched again. As for the value, there's a big difference also since Marto made about 3000 (I'm sure that's what I read somewhere but not 100% sure) as to where Albion had an edition size of 1000 and never got to that number before stopping production. It's been said that they got to about half of the 1000 of the Atlanteans and in the low 100's for the Father. So yes, the value is way greater. Makes for great discussion though, thank you for that :)

but for me personally it's pointless to pay $3000 to have something hang on the wall.

For the average casual collector like yourself I agree there's little point in going for the albion if you're fine with a cheaper version that looks somewhat similar to the one used in the movie.

But if you were to put the Albion next to the marto sword and merely eyeball the two to compare, you will immediately appreciate that the marto is of inferior craftsmanship.

At the end of the day its like buying an expensive piece of antique painting to hang on the wall: do you want to spend $500,000 to buy the original art piece or do you just want to frame up a $10 poster from kmart that looks almost as good?

The 500k painting is out of the question for me so I'll have to make do with the poster but even though i cant afford the original, i can appreciate its value.

Last edited:
I agree with Gates. The 500 Marto would do just fine over a 3000 Albion. If someone has a problem with that, fill that dogs belly with a foot of cold steel. Either will do that job just fine.

For the average casual collector like yourself I agree there's little point in going for the albion if you're fine with a cheaper version that looks somewhat similar to the one used in the movie.

But if you were to put the Albion next to the marto sword and merely eyeball the two to compare, you will immediately appreciate that the marto is of inferior craftsmanship.

At the end of the day its like buying an expensive piece of antique painting to hang on the wall: do you want to spend $500,000 to buy the original art piece or do you just want to frame up a $10 poster from kmart that looks almost as good?

The 500k painting is out of the question for me so I'll have to make do with the poster but even though i cant afford the original, i can appreciate its value.

You make the Marto sound like a cheap plastic sword worth $50 and I can assure you that it's far from it. It's more like comparing the HT and EB Godfathers IMO. They look similar but aren't at the same time. Different strokes for different folks. I had friends come over and immediately were blown away by it and knowing what movie it was from. Besides, I've seen side by side pics of the 2 Atlanteans and they aren't that far off from one another. If you didn't know which was which before hand, you wouldn't see the difference (looks wise, not the build). The Father is another story.

I agree with Gates. The 500 Marto would do just fine over a 3000 Albion. If someone has a problem with that, fill that dogs belly with a foot of cold steel. Either will do that job just fine.

Trust me Evil, I have it in hand and it's beautiful and you'd be more than happy with it.

HT to EB, uh nope..more like HT(Albion) Vs Sideshow(Marto) and i would bet the Albion could cut through the Marto eventually.

Still though, if i was looking to get a Atlantean..i'd go with Marto..looks good enough.

The desire to own the battle ready Albion version makes sense, pretty sure the originals used in the film were battle ready..more authentic that way.

You make the Marto sound like a cheap plastic sword worth $50 and I can assure you that it's far from it. It's more like comparing the HT and EB Godfathers IMO. They look similar but aren't at the same time. Different strokes for different folks. I had friends come over and immediately were blown away by it and knowing what movie it was from. Besides, I've seen side by side pics of the 2 Atlanteans and they aren't that far off from one another. If you didn't know which was which before hand, you wouldn't see the difference (looks wise, not the build). The Father is another story.

Trust me Evil, I have it in hand and it's beautiful and you'd be more than happy with it.

Oh no, the Marto is definitely not crap at all. Ive had a closeup look at one and it looks very good when you look at it in front of you.

I mean its no albion, but for 300 to 500 bucks you cant go wrong with the marto considering they were going for 1k initially (if I'm not mistaken).

HT to EB, uh nope..more like HT(Albion) Vs Sideshow(Marto) and i would bet the Albion could cut through the Marto eventually.

Still though, if i was looking to get a Atlantean..i'd go with Marto..looks good enough.

The desire to own the battle ready Albion version makes sense, pretty sure the originals used in the film were battle ready..more authentic that way.

Not comparing the companies but the figures. But you're talking from experience because you've seen both in hand right ? Didn't think so. Who cares if it can cut through anything. Like it was said in an earlier post, nobody's going to go out and chop people in half. I've seen photos of both Atlanteans and I'll post them later. They are practically the same looks wise, and THAT is what we're talking about here.

Battle ready Atlanteans were only used in close up shots...during the fight scenes aluminum swords were used for an easier wielding, plus aluminum blades are much cheaper to replace when damaged.

I've held all the versions of the swords...Albion's and Marto's. Albion swords have a higher relief and are slightly bigger in the guard and the pommel(Marto's version lost the detail and some size during recasting). However, Albion's Atlanteans have lots of blemishes on the bronze parts, which in my opinion are unacceptable for the price they were charging.

Battle ready Atlanteans were only used in close up shots...during the fight scenes aluminum swords were used for an easier wielding, plus aluminum blades are much cheaper to replace when damaged.

I've held all the versions of the swords...Albion's and Marto's. Albion swords have a higher relief and are slightly bigger in the guard and the pommel(Marto's version lost the detail and some size during recasting). However, Albion's Atlanteans have lots of blemishes on the bronze parts, which in my opinion are unacceptable for the price they were charging.

To put simply the Marto Conan swords are not exact as the Albion. The Marto swords are Stainless Steel and not 5160 CS. There will be a different look to the blade. My hope is that Maro is still not using to short curved piece of metal and they are using a full tang. I had Marto Highlander Katana that broken with just swinging it. To me, wall hangers can be very dangerous still they are usually not very well constructed. From what I have read, Marto is still doesn't use full tangs. So they are not safe to swing.

Back