Computerfly's custom Spider-man 2099 - COMPLETED

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great Blackthorne. Maybe I'll try that on the next one (if I ever get back around to doing another, which I doubt.) The great thing about Spidey 2099 is, he was drawn 100 different ways in the comics. I took the aspects that I liked best about each and made what I though was the best Spidey 2099. That's what I love about art, it's really up to which interpretation you like, as compared to say, a human likeness, where if you screw it up, it looks like ass.

Example: Here is the very first appearance of 2099 inside the comic. As you'll see, no triangles. The eyes aren't really black, it's just the shadow effect they use in the book. If you paint the eyes black, then you have to paint the whole front of the face black, or else it wouldn't be 'comic accurate', yes?

Spideyimage.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great Blackthorne. Maybe I'll try that on the next one (if I ever get back around to doing another, which I doubt.) The great thing about Spidey 2099 is, he was drawn 100 different ways in the comics. I took the aspects that I liked best about each and made what I though was the best Spidey 2099. That's what I love about art, it's really up to which interpretation you like, as compared to say, a human likeness, where if you screw it up, it looks like ass.

Example: Here is the very first appearance of 2099 inside the comic. As you'll see, no triangles. The eyes aren't really black, it's just the shadow effect they use in the book. If you paint the eyes black, then you have to paint the whole front of the face black, or else it wouldn't be 'comic accurate', yes?

Spideyimage.jpg

Interesting. I'm not especially familiar with the costume, so if there really is that much room for interpretation, then your version is within the parameters and thus is better than I thought, though it would have been nice if you posted those comic pics instead of the ones you actually posted. As far as the black eyes, it seems to me that there are a lot of characters who have areas that are always inked black, or some that are inked blue, which is only a highlight on black. But when you think about it, if these characters are only ever seen in the comics, and are only ever seen with black eyes and mostly black faces, for all practical purposes, they might as WELL be black eyes. It's a tough position to be put in as an artist rendering a 3D image of a 2 D image, isn't it? On the other hand, the RED detail on spider man's mask is all curiously the same shade, if there IS no shadow there. As if red never gets any darker, even in shadow. Perplexing.... Some times, the way comics are drawn doesn't make any sense. I actually am beginning to think that a Boba Fett style black treatment might look nice on this character in 3D, as in black eyes, with black that continues down to the bottom of the red, just in between the red stripes.

Here, see what you think.

Last edited:
That is indeed awesome. I remember when the 2099 line of comics launched back in the 90's. Bought every single one of them. Good ideas back then.

Great work on an awesome custom.

on a item that doesn't exist? That would be a first......still waiting for a Scarlet personally.

They need to push the envelope with 2099 Spidey. It would sell quick, even as a repaint. It's much too unique of a look. People would definitely bite.

Back