• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Commerce Poll, Auction Style listings, yay ot Nay??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Auction Style listing be allowed in the Commerce section?

• I don't care I don't use the Commerce Section

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what, I could see this thread and the resulting responses for several weeks now. And the comments and key contributors were predictable.

It's just the little stuff that has been building up. A few that come to mind: commissions to bid on auctions that are exclusive, selling of preorders for way above retail, selling of gimmicky SS faux bronze pieces (which I'm guilty of).

I think there's a right way to go about it, and a way that can be misinterpretted as greed, or just be greedy period. I know I've scored deals on Ebay, or pieces have appreciated greatly and I get excited about them, but none of my "tangible" friends that I see on a day to day basis are into this, so I can only share that excitement here, with others that can relate to my joy and being excited about it. Basically, I want to brag that I only paid $200 for some Marvel piece and it's now going over $600, for example. Or, when we find a guy that is selling all his Marvel pieces, including a matched spidey set, for much less than what they are worth and we're lucky enough to find those deals, you want to tell someone.

I think the less frowned upon manner is to just start a discussion thread and come right out and ask, "How much is this worth" or "what is the going rate of product X" in the respective category, not the commerce section, and if you're discussion turns into a deal, handle it in PM's offline. Once posted in commerce, you're only displaying that you have something that you will only sell for the right price, which can be interpretted as being greedy, but anyone of us would sell any of our most treasured pieces if the price was right, let's not kid ourselves.

I think the less frowned upon manner is to just start a discussion thread and come right out and ask, "How much is this worth" or "what is the going rate of product X" in the respective category, not the commerce section, and if you're discussion turns into a deal, handle it in PM's offline. Once posted in commerce, you're only displaying that you have something that you will only sell for the right price, which can be interpretted as being greedy, but anyone of us would sell any of our most treasured pieces if the price was right, let's not kid ourselves.

I agree with you, freaks will help out someone wanting information about a piece... but the commerce section is not the best place to do it.

There are enough sites on the internet where people try and screw you out of money, lets not let it happen here. If you know what you want for a piece then say so,don't let your fellow freaks guess.
There are people on here that are friends and friends don't rip each other off!

You know what, I could see this thread and the resulting responses for several weeks now. And the comments and key contributors were predictable.

It's just the little stuff that has been building up. A few that come to mind: commissions to bid on auctions that are exclusive, selling of preorders for way above retail, selling of gimmicky SS faux bronze pieces (which I'm guilty of).

I think there's a right way to go about it, and a way that can be misinterpretted as greed, or just be greedy period. I know I've scored deals on Ebay, or pieces have appreciated greatly and I get excited about them, but none of my "tangible" friends that I see on a day to day basis are into this, so I can only share that excitement here, with others that can relate to my joy and being excited about it. Basically, I want to brag that I only paid $200 for some Marvel piece and it's now going over $600, for example. Or, when we find a guy that is selling all his Marvel pieces, including a matched spidey set, for much less than what they are worth and we're lucky enough to find those deals, you want to tell someone.

reading this really puts things in perspective...

this thread got out of hand once insults and cheap shots started getting thrown in, but it probably should've never made it to that point. i played a role in it and i can admit that, but i think anyone would get a bit fired up once their character is brought into question.

that being said...

offers = ok

auctions = not so much

I agree with you, freaks will help out someone wanting information about a piece... but the commerce section is not the best place to do it.

in some cases, the majority opinion speaks volumes, like the dislike for auction items. but you are grouping people in this forum as though they are a collective, which couldn't be farther from the truth. i have seen newbies raked over the coals for asking that question in the right forum.

if there was a true 'freaks' spirit, no one would sell an item for more than one cent than what they paid for it. and when someone gives a heads up for a popular item going for less than market, true 'freaks' would not grab up all available just to resell them on ebay. the spirit of 'freakdom' lies with the individual. there are PLENTY of examples right here on the boards that really dispel what you consider a brotherhood of collectors that all look out for each other. it all hinders on popularity and how well you're liked, just like our american society. ever hear the saying, people that live in glass houses...? when someone sells every item for what they paid for it, then they can throw stones at those trying to make a profit for reselling.

I've always hesitated to post more rules for the commerce section, because enforcing rules may give some buyers and sellers the sense that this forum is then somehow responsible for the transaction.

Just to clarify from some of the posts - we're not talking about an official auction type thing like ebay. Just those sales that don't post their asking price and just say "make an offer."

It seems to me that "make an offer" wastes a lot of time for people unless the buyer is willing to take the best offer he gets. And the buyer certainly has a price he won't sell under in mind.

It seems the will of the people are heavily in the frame of mind that make an offer type sales shouldn't be allowed. I will discuss with the mods if they feel that they can enforce this type of thing.

However the one thing that has come up that I feel strongly about, is selling pre-orders. That is completely scalping behavior and is frowned on, at least by this admin. This will also be discussed with the mods.

if there was a true 'freaks' spirit, no one would sell an item for more than one cent than what they paid for it. and when someone gives a heads up for a popular item going for less than market, true 'freaks' would not grab up all available just to resell them on ebay. the spirit of 'freakdom' lies with the individual. there are PLENTY of examples right here on the boards that really dispel what you consider a brotherhood of collectors that all look out for each other. it all hinders on popularity and how well you're liked, just like our american society. ever hear the saying, people that live in glass houses...? when someone sells every item for what they paid for it, then they can throw stones at those trying to make a profit for reselling.

That'll never happen, especially when you have dedicated flippers that simply fund their habit based on what *rare* exclusive they can sell to the highest bidder.

It seems everyone wants to "open-up shop" these days (and I mean everyone). Whether it's SSC or Convention Exclusives, there's a buck ready to be made and everyone wants a piece of it.

The whole SSC pre-order process is a scalpers dream. Order as much as you want and never face a cancelation fee.

In the end, it's all a ^^^^ing game to some people.

I have already expressed my viewpoint on this matter in the past. I think it's just shady and not in the spirit of what this commerce section was initially meant to be. Sellers should always list a price and no auctions!!! Go to ebay for this!

It seems the will of the people are heavily in the frame of mind that make an offer type sales shouldn't be allowed. I will discuss with the mods if they feel that they can enforce this type of thing.

IMO the "Offer Process" should only be valid once the Seller has listed a price.

I've always hesitated to post more rules for the commerce section, because enforcing rules may give some buyers and sellers the sense that this forum is then somehow responsible for the transaction.

Just to clarify from some of the posts - we're not talking about an official auction type thing like ebay. Just those sales that don't post their asking price and just say "make an offer."

It seems to me that "make an offer" wastes a lot of time for people unless the buyer is willing to take the best offer he gets. And the buyer certainly has a price he won't sell under in mind.

However the one thing that has come up that I feel strongly about, is selling pre-orders. That is completely scalping behavior and is frowned on, at least by this admin. This will also be discussed with the mods.

:lecture:lecture:lecture the voice of reason, cousin.Bravo !!!

in some cases, the majority opinion speaks volumes, like the dislike for auction items. but you are grouping people in this forum as though they are a collective, which couldn't be farther from the truth. i have seen newbies raked over the coals for asking that question in the right forum.

No, it doesn't always go well when people ask for help. But I will give advice if I see a thread like that. I'll also more readily respond to someone asking if they do it outside of the commerce section.

Sure, people here are going to sometimes make a profit, thats never been in dispute, but trying to maximize by asking for offers seems shady to me. As was mentioned by Dave anyone selling has an idea of what they want for an item... just post that and go from there.

can soeone please explain what good it would do to require a post to include a starting price that will likely be waaaaaay over the current going rate as opposed to just posting 'pm me with offers'? in the end, both establish a starting price and negotiations go from there. one way allows sellers to jack up asking prices, while the other lets buyers low-ball... in the end you either have a deal or you don't.

no matter how you slice it, a seller's thread it going to get dumped on by the same individuals who feel the need to do so no matter if they're interested or not. either they're greedy for asking a crazy high amount, or they're trying to exploit money out of fellow board members.

why can't it be as simple as not making offers if you don't want to go back and forth on prices?

NOTE: I use the word "you" with no particular person in mind, just a person condiering selling an item here vs. Ebay...

I think another thing worthy of mentioning is, if you are looking to get the most money for your product, sell it on Ebay, your chances of getting the higher dollar are better with a wider market and potentially some stupid bidders that get into a war over your item. However, that does now come with certain seller risks.

If you are looking for a quick sale without the Ebay hassle of listing and fees, sell it here, and your chances of dealing with an honest person are much better.

But do not expect for a minute that you will be able to get the high end of the Ebay average sales on this board, or even that rare item that everyone knows got bid up for no good reason. I think majority of people here follow this stuff closely enough to know what the average going rate it, and if you ask for that high end, plus a little something extra to help with the fees, people will see through that quickly and either tell you where to go or make fun of you.

can soeone please explain what good it would do to require a post to include a starting price that will likely be waaaaaay over the current going rate as opposed to just posting 'pm me with offers'? QUOTE]
Because that's what almost everyone including the owner of the board want.

can soeone please explain what good it would do to require a post to include a starting price that will likely be waaaaaay over the current going rate as opposed to just posting 'pm me with offers'?

You're missing the point. This poll/thread is about the general preference of the community (and yes, it is a community). Obviously most people prefer that you give a price, or at least an idea of what you are looking for. If you can't get past that, then maybe this isn't the place for you to sell. And I say that with no ill will. You just seem extremely frustrated about something that the majority of people agree about, or at least understand.

can soeone please explain what good it would do to require a post to include a starting price that will likely be waaaaaay over the current going rate as opposed to just posting 'pm me with offers'? in the end, both establish a starting price and negotiations go from there. one way allows sellers to jack up asking prices, while the other lets buyers low-ball... in the end you either have a deal or you don't.

If the starting price is way over the "current rate", the potential buyers will assume the seller is crazy and simply move along.

It's really quite simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back