• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Commerce Poll, Auction Style listings, yay ot Nay??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Auction Style listing be allowed in the Commerce section?

• I don't care I don't use the Commerce Section

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the "make me an offer" threads either.

If a seller wants to sell something here they should do the research on recent sale prices and then offer the item up with a price that they want. I think its okay to include that you are open to offers (which most people counter-offer anyway) and then work the transaction from there.

But doing the "tell me what you think its worth", which I think is usually to garner the highest price, is best left to eBay and sights set up for that kind of transaction.

Shai may be a bit harsh, but he's honest. He doesn't like the auctions or the feelers, I've known that about him for years now...

Really, the point here is that auctions and feelers are built to do one thing... get more money. I've been on that end... you don't want to offer what you could actually afford because you don't want to undercut the person.. so you end up saying you will pay some inflated price that drains your wallet dry.

It's just that commerce here is not built with that in mind. I think that prices should always be listed. If you want to offer it for the inflated price... just lay it out and let them decide if they want to dump the cash.

But the "Best offer" business never works. People want to know what they are getting into before they send a PM.

how people negotiate a price should be between the seller and the prospective buyer. it's already been established that anyone can turn scammer at any time, so everyone should know the risks they take with any transaction they do on the internet. what's to stop any long time member here from offering to sell their for example 'grey hulk' for $1500, then collect the cash and screw the buyer? nothing. or paypal perhaps? if this board doesn't have an assigned mediator for disputes between buyer and seller, why should it have any other intervention? that should be left up to paypal if the deal goes south. make no mistake, the transactions here offer as much security as this gate.

373099428_8a3ee4d3b0.jpg

Funny I bought a regular one to member feathered serpent for 500$....:lol...And now I remember, yes, i offered you that money for it, but At that time I had absolutely no idea what it was worth..So me finding you greedy has absolutely nothing to do with that transaction..didnt even remember it until now....Like I said, its all those ''feeler ''threads, those best offer threads that you made recently..it has to stop.....this communnity aint about playing ebay.

By the way I sold my reg Wolverine comiquette for 285$ to a fellow member here last month...:monkey3

as i recall, i have one feeler thread for a set that you can't just look up on ebay. the hulks are still for sale and i have a set price, but decided to let people pm me for so i could avoid having certain members dump all over it.

all those 'feeler' threads, huh?

how do you gauge the price for a matched set of 'marvel sample' PFs? please, i'm open to any explanation from anyone as to how that would be done without a feeler thread? i know what i paid, but i also know they're worth a lot more. imo, there are some pieces that you can't just look to ebayto find a price for.

You can always place feeler threads in the appropriate forum, not the commerce section. I've seen a number of "what is XXXX worth?" and people will usually help the person with their guesses and estimates.

eBay to me is usually about as reliable as it gets for pricing things, but when you have a truly unique item go ahead and ask. But I think its problematic to to try and sell an item w/o having a stated price to start out.

how people negotiate a price should be between the seller and the prospective buyer. it's already been established that anyone can turn scammer at any time, so everyone should know the risks they take with any transaction they do on the internet. what's to stop any long time member here from offering to sell their for example 'grey hulk' for $1500, then collect the cash and screw the buyer? nothing. or paypal perhaps? if this board doesn't have an assigned mediator for disputes between buyer and seller, why should it have any other intervention? that should be left up to paypal if the deal goes south. make no mistake, the transactions here offer as much security as this gate.

I don't think this thread is about safety, its about etiquette and best practice in the commerce section. We are all big boys and girls here and have to accept that when we send money to people that we might not get what we paid for.

But, the etiquette and best practice part is something that can be controlled and if popular opinion is considered make changes. Is it so difficult to ask that if someone wants to sell an item that it is their "responsibility" to set an asking price?

I don't think this thread is about safety, its about etiquette and best practice in the commerce section. We are all big boys and girls here and have to accept that when we send money to people that we might not get what we paid for.

But, the etiquette and best practice part is something that can be controlled and if popular opinion is considered make changes. Is it so difficult to ask that if someone wants to sell an item that it is their "responsibility" to set an asking price?

Exactly what he said. Prices should be part of the process. Price and pics primarily.

And yes, anyone can turn scammer if they decide to go down that path. But any true member of SSF that did that would lose many friends and never really be able to come back to this board... maybe even all collector boards for that matter... So it doesn't happen all that often.

The Melvins of this forum are outnumbered by the truly good people.

The Commerce section is NOT Ebay, and it should never become like Ebay. :lecture

i don't think auction style listings should be allowed simply because there is no way to regulate them.

i'm not a big fan of trying to auction off stuff on here, but what's wrong with trying to get the most out of an item that someone is selling?

quotes from unedited posts, shai.

still waiting on the reasoning for the statements you made...

The Melvins of this forum are outnumbered by the truly good people.

'truly good people'?????????????

right, let's keep it civil...

how is it that everyone else who voted no is a 'truly good person'?

Stall it out or get a room. This thread isn't your private spat chat room.

if he wants to say c*** like that on a public thread, he should at least back it up. he refused to talk via pm and wanted everything posted here because 'he had nothing to hide'. conveniently, he's gone somewhere to hide.

Last edited by a moderator:
'truly good people'?????????????

right, let's keep it civil...

how is it that everyone else who voted no is a 'truly good person'?

No one is saying you aren't a good person. There is a general feeling your method for selling your stuff here is unappreciated. That's it. Nothing more.

No one is saying you aren't a good person. There is a general feeling your method for selling your stuff here is unappreciated. That's it. Nothing more.

my method? one feeler thread and suddenly it's my method?

This is tiresome. I really don't care how someone wants to word their F/S item. Sideshow Board Auction, "feeler" thread, best offer, pimpin for toys, whatever. We can all choose to deal with the seller or not. It isn't worth all this animosity.

I think we can set guidelines for how people are allowed to sell. And it sounds like consensus from buyers and sellers is that a price should be set when attempting to sell something in the commerce section.

my method? one feeler thread and suddenly it's my method?

i dont think he was intending to offend you
that not what i got out of it
but i feel that most commerce threads should at least have a price point and then negotiations can be made between the seller and the buyer through pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back