• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Commerce Poll, Auction Style listings, yay ot Nay??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Auction Style listing be allowed in the Commerce section?

• I don't care I don't use the Commerce Section

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree... either list the price or what you are looking for in trade. We can all go to ebay and check the past auctions to see what a fair price is so the seller should do the same.

i've bought certain statues multiple times on ebay because they would show up broken or not in the condition advertised. i've both bought and sold statues on here at prices higher than what ebay or toytracker were showing to be worth siply because there's more of a sense of trust with fellow freaks. granted, there are exceptions to every rule, but i'd pay an extra 5-10% to a trusted board member for something i know will show up in the shape they say it will

List your price and let the buyer decide if they want to accept a lower offer. Otherwise, leave the auction-like activity on eBay.

Whne people ask me to make an offer. I tell them "I don't make them, but will respond to them." It's your stuff. Don't act ignorant like you don't know what it is worth. State your damned price already.

I have to agree with that. I don't think there's anything wrong with MAKING offers on something that was put up, I just hate seeing an item posted with no price and saying "make me an offer, but don't insult me, we both know that this is worth", etc. I've seen almost that exact wording in a couple of commerce postings.

If you're worried your item won't sell for what you want, then put up a highball estimate and "OBO"...leave it there.

Anyway, this is the policy that the OSW uses for their trading section, which I think is great:

"The OPEN MARKET/ TRADE Section will be for TRADES or SALES only.

THERE WILL NOT BE ANY "BEST OFFER", "MAKE AN OFFER" listings.
You can list an item FOR SALE with a fixed price with the option of a lower offer or you can list item(s) for TRADE.

If you don't want a TRADE or SALE....put it on Ebay."

As it stands, I come here to discuss collectables and sometimes look for items that I want in my collection.

I definately think that if someone is selling something they already have a price in mind so why not just list it, if someone sends the seller an offer less than the asking price, you can liaise from there through pm's and come to a deal (or not) but a selling thread needs a starting point.

If I wanted to haggle and take part in a bidding war I would go to eBay (and do when the need arises) to get the item but if I come here I like to avoid all that.
I dont even look at 'make offers' auctions.

IMO it goes like this:
  • Seller wants to sell item, knows what they want for it, lists it as such
  • No 'I might be selling this, or who's interested'. Your either selling or not.
  • Buyer wants to buy an item, if you are willing to paying asking price, great, if not pm the seller with an offer and see if its accepted.
  • Seller says yes or no.
Simple.
x :peace

GREEDY OFFERS TAKING SELLERS SHOULD BE BANNED FOR THIS BOARD, ANYWAY I'M GLAD,THE NEW MODS TOOK THE INITIATIVE OF CONSULTING THE MEMBERS HERE AND JUDGING BY THE VOTE ,ITS SAFE TO SAY THIS KIND OF PRACTICE IS ABOUT TO GET FORBIDDEN HERE...THOSE WHO WANTS OFFERS TO SELL TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER CAN GO COMMERCING ON THE BAY OR ELSEWHERE...:cool:

As it stands, I come here to discuss collectables and sometimes look for items that I want in my collection.

I definately think that if someone is selling something they already have a price in mind so why not just list it, if someone sends the seller an offer less than the asking price, you can liaise from there through pm's and come to a deal (or not) but a selling thread needs a starting point.

If I wanted to haggle and take part in a bidding war I would go to eBay (and do when the need arises) to get the item but if I come here I like to avoid all that.
I dont even look at 'make offers' auctions.

IMO it goes like this:
  • Seller wants to sell item, knows what they want for it, lists it as such
  • No 'I might be selling this, or who's interested'. Your either selling or not.
  • Buyer wants to buy an item, if you are willing to paying asking price, great, if not pm the seller with an offer and see if its accepted.
  • Seller says yes or no.
Simple.

:bow:bow:bow

GREEDY OFFERS TAKING SELLERS SHOULD BE BANNED FOR THIS BOARD, ANYWAY I'M GLAD,THE NEW MODS TOOK THE INITIATIVE OF CONSULTING THE MEMBERS HERE AND JUDGING BY THE VOTE ,ITS SAFE TO SAY THIS KIND OF PRACTICE IS ABOUT TO GET FORBIDDEN HERE...THOSE WHO WANTS OFFERS TO SELL TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER CAN GO COMMERCING ON THE BAY OR ELSEWHERE...:cool:

Yea, those who say "I'll wait to see who gives me the best offer" post should be deleted. The whole point of the commerce section is to sell to you guys and my friends. If I have something that I don't want or need to sell, I would rather have it go to a good home with you guys then someone of ebay. Granted, you can probably make a little bit more cash from ebay, and for some items, ebay is preferable, but for the most part, the commerce section is great.

I think those are good rule scot....

I have to agree with that. I don't think there's anything wrong with MAKING offers on something that was put up, I just hate seeing an item posted with no price and saying "make me an offer, but don't insult me, we both know that this is worth", etc. I've seen almost that exact wording in a couple of commerce postings.

If you're worried your item won't sell for what you want, then put up a highball estimate and "OBO"...leave it there.

Anyway, this is the policy that the OSW uses for their trading section, which I think is great:

"The OPEN MARKET/ TRADE Section will be for TRADES or SALES only.

THERE WILL NOT BE ANY "BEST OFFER", "MAKE AN OFFER" listings.
You can list an item FOR SALE with a fixed price with the option of a lower offer or you can list item(s) for TRADE.

If you don't want a TRADE or SALE....put it on Ebay."

OSW has it right on that one!

i'm not a big fan of trying to auction off stuff on here, but what's wrong with trying to get the most out of an item that someone is selling? imo, there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for offers on a piece... if you don't want to negotiate prices on something that you really want, don't whine about it, just keep looking and accept the fact that you're not going to get a steal on the grail you've been trying to pin down for the past 6 months. what next, set amounts for what individual pieces can be sold for? once you start putting rules like this in the commerce section you're going to drive sellers to ebay where there are both shady buyers and sellers... that eliminates the part where you have a good idea of who exactly you're dealing with and adds annoying fees that could otherwise be avoided.
shai - if you don't like being put on the back burner while a seller waits for a better offer to come along? tell 'em where to stick it... noone is going to make you pay for it if a seller pulls that crap. look at it from a seller's perspective as well... i handle my 'offer' listings on a first come, first serve basis. when the first buyer makes an offer, then doesn't respond to my counter within a few hours, it's on to the next one.

if i'm looking for a quick sale, i'll post the price. if i'm just looking to make some room or i'm on the fence about selling a statue, i'll ask for offers. once a 'no auction/offers listings' rule is enforced, people will just jack up their asking prices and include a note stating 'no offers please :rolleyes:'
half the time people submit offers even if they aren't asked for. how do you fix that, make all PMs be submitted through a neutral party first to filter out those messages and then foreward it on to the seller? gimme a break

Firstly no-one is saying a 'no auction/offers listing' rule will be enforced, I simply started this thread because more and more of these threads are appearing more and more pepople are unhappy about it so I wanted to see how widespread this feeling was.
If people (sellers) stamp their feet and cry if such a rule is enforced and 'jack up their asking prices' then so be it and they simply will not sell.If it results in people going to eBay to sell their items then so be it, the sellers in the end are the ones that are charged the fees.

What you have to remember is this forum is a COMMUNITY, a discussion forum for all things Sideshow that we love. We do not have to have a commerce section but the Darklord generously let us have one and it has gone from there, obviously as the board has grown so has that section.This section has lasted a long time as it is, firstly a community, not a legal battleground of bidding wars,auctions and eBay policies.

My understanding is that Dave has allowed the commerce section as a favor to us and is certainly not a "right" that should be expected. This is a collectibles discussion group....buying/selling/trading with each other being the secondary offshoot of it. I echo others: wanting to set up an auction-type sell? Then go to E-bay.

Edit: Adoptedscot beat me to it :)

i guess i don't get why everyone is getting so butthurt about seeing listings with 'make an offer' or 'or best offer' attached.

it seems pretty simple... if you don't want to make an offer, then don't. move on and look for that piece somewhere else, don't ^^^^^^ and moan because you don't like going back and forth on prices.

i don't think auction style listings should be allowed simply because there is no way to regulate them.

Said very nicely!

Firstly no-one is saying a 'no auction/offers listing' rule will be enforced, I simply started this thread because more and more of these threads are appearing more and more pepople are unhappy about it so I wanted to see how widespread this feeling was.
If people (sellers) stamp their feet and cry if such a rule is enforced and 'jack up their asking prices' then so be it and they simply will not sell.If it results in people going to eBay to sell their items then so be it, the sellers in the end are the ones that are charged the fees.

What you have to remember is this forum is a COMMUNITY, a discussion forum for all things Sideshow that we love. We do not have to have a commerce section but the Darklord generously let us have one and it has gone from there, obviously as the board has grown so has that section.This section has lasted a long time as it is, firstly a community, not a legal battleground of bidding wars,auctions and eBay policies.

i thought he was referring to people sending offers even with the prices listed... :duh:duh:duh

I've had a lot of problems with this lately. I would said 3 of the last 5 attempted purchases by me started with me asking how much THEY wanted for X figure and the seller turning around and asking ME how much I wanted to pay. :cuss:moon

It's annoying and schisty and rude and kinda goes against some of the core values of this community. If you wanna make $ or get the best price on your stuff--go to eBay. Don't play this jack-hole little PM game with me where I gotta tell YOU what YOUR stuff is worth--and then you turn around and tell me a price way over the top b/c you would rather make an extra $20 then sell it to a member of this GREAT COMMUNITY. I've got some of my best figures here and it sucks that you have to waste so much time dealing with greedy newbs.

:lol

So much drama over nothing.

Many times mod's have asked people to NOT post anything in people's for sale threads that could affect their sale. Yet, time and time again people can't read something without putting in their two cents, for better or worse.

If someone creates a topic saying they are taking offers for a 1/4 predator exclusive whats the big deal? Yes, they may have an idea of what they are looking for money wise, but that doesn't mean someone can't be creative and offer a cash and trade or something else to make the deal happen. As was stated earlier, half the times you post what you want people make best offers anyway. Not really that different except you give them a price to go down from. Personally, I always give a price unless its a piece im not sure if I want to let go. Then I will try to be swayed by offers. Is it really that horrible to say I'm not sure if I want to let this piece go, but will entertain offers? Again, maybe its me but I really don't see what the fuss is about...

Sha! If some people on here are so sensitive to this, then why are they PM'ing me offers?? How about a rule of "Pay full sum in ONE payment, not SEVERAL payments spread over the span of MONTHS"..........:confused:

The payment plan seems like a sure way to cause headaches in MANY ways... This is just pretty crummy. I'm relatively new to the forums here, but NOT new to collecting, and this is VERY whiny and cry-baby like for people to cry over people trying to gauge interest in the sale of their cherished collectibles.. This is a ENTHUSIAST forum, why are we fighting and crying over this?!?! If you got the money and desire for something, GET IT! If not, dont even respond to the thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back