Collection Intervention on Syfy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the whole aspect of getting collector's to change their habits and have them sell stuff is gimmicky. I only like to watch to see what people have in their collection... And to laugh at them.

I was surprised the comic book guy didn't own, or want to own, a single Golden or Silver Age book.

nobody changed at all, the star wars lady said she has not sold anything after the show, she just keeps buying, the husband said it was never about the money,
they did not change,
then the Hot Wheels guy said he gives toys to kids that go to his shop sometimes if they have good grades,
so Elyse going to their houses makes no real difference,

I was surprised the comic book guy didn't own, or want to own, a single Golden or Silver Age book.

Not at all. I think he collects books that he read and grew up with and has some sort of personal connection with. Since he didn't grow up in the Golden or Silver Age, he probably doesn't feel any connection with those stories. He definitely isn't in it for profit.

Not at all. I think he collects books that he read and grew up with and has some sort of personal connection with. Since he didn't grow up in the Golden or Silver Age, he probably doesn't feel any connection with those stories. He definitely isn't in it for profit.

When I started to seriously collect comics back in the 80s, I loved getting my hands on Silver Age comics. It was great reading the classic stories and seeing the artwork of the time. They also have certain smell to them that you don't get with Modern Age books. :lol

I understand this guy collects what he grew up on and has a connection to, but he also buys crap just to have complete runs. I'm sure out of those 30 thousand books he has a lot of garbage that isn't worth reading.

why couldn't he just scan them or something, all that crap would fit in two external hard drives, problem solved....

:nono
not the same,
The guy said HIMSELF, that he was looking to start getting some comics not in print but online,

It's exactly the same. There's nothing tangible in either case. Don't avoid it, answer CP's question. Why not print out and scan pictures of toys vs. buying the toys? It's the same advice you gave. :lol

It's exactly the same. There's nothing tangible in either case. Don't avoid it, answer CP's question. Why not print out and scan pictures of toys vs. buying the toys? It's the same advice you gave. :lol

you cannot compare a piece of paper to a fully made figure, :cuckoo:

that analogy is very stupid,
comics are just paper, that's it, what matters is the art and the story inside,
you cannot compare a piece of tiny paper with a fully three dimentional plastic figure,
besides, comics Are being Sold online sometimes, it is not even that far fetched,

So the show itself admits to staging crap? I thought the trade of worthless junk for Hulk #181 was fishy.

I don't think they admit it and wouldn't be at all surprised if the "follow-up" aspect is deleted from their website given it's embarrassing and shows how irrelevant Elyse and her "interventions" actually are. :lol

I don't think they admit it and wouldn't be at all surprised if the "follow-up" aspect is deleted from their website given it's embarrassing and shows how irrelevant Elyse and her "interventions" actually are. :lol

yeah reading the where are they now really ruined this, Elyse made absolutely no change in their lives, the deals might be fake, everything is scripted,
I would not be surprised if they told the people to act mad, or if they were making them get angry on purpose, saying things off camera that made these people get so mad,

This show is pretty much a rip off of Hoarders, only with people who have ridiculously huge collections. Instead of "cleaning" the house, the host tries to get them to sell.:dunno

I have to say that from the 3 episodes aired, I liked these guys the Least,

I really hated the comic guy, I did not like his attitude at all, of course I don't know him, I am just saying I hated him on the show, he came off as a huge ******, I didn't like his attitude, he totally rubbed me the wrong way, I hated watching him, I felt bad for his wife,

I was reading the "Where are they Now" interview with him, and, his wife did not do an interview, which, again, didn't surprise me, I don't see how they can be together for long when he absolutely did not sell anything at all

the Transformers guy was nicer, but he was such a geek, I know I know that is not saying A LOT in this place, I know we are all nerds and we all collect,
but at 38 and having his parents pay his rent? how old are his parents? wtf? It really made me wonder if they guy had a job or not, or he just "sold" the toys,

I didn't hate him, he seemed nice, he just reminded me of the nerdy kids that would play YUGIOH for hours and hours in the cafeteria at my high school, the ones that were part of the Science club, even his clothes reminded me of those kids, the ones that spent countless hours playing cards and watching anime on the school's computers, funny enough I found a group like that in College as well, I guess some of us really never grow up,

"." <---

Ski

Sent from my SkiPCS8100 using Skiatalk

I recommend it. As bad as I am, I'm not that bad. :lecture:lecture:lecture:rotfl

My thoughts exactly (after only seeing the ads for it)-- My home office is filled with SW (as well as an inner closet that has the toys displayed) and then my tv room has two areas filled with SSC and HT stuff... There's none of my collection in our bedroom-- kitchen-- living room-- dining room-- conservatory-- kids' rooms---etc. Everything not displayed in my two areas is in storage.

Some of these homes are :cuckoo:

I love this show and I don't think it gives collectors a bad name. This program is about people whose hobby has gone beyond mere collecting and into the realm of unhealthy obsession. These people like the Barbie woman, the GI Joe guy and this past week the Comic book guy and Transformers kid has a collection so large that it has taken over their homes and caused their wives real distress to the point that they needed professional help. If you watch this show and say "this person doesn't have a problem" it makes me wonder how long before we see you on Collection Intervention.

I agree, I wouldn't watch this show with a person who doesn't understand the difference between a really cool collection and an unhealthy obsession. Plus, if your wife or girlfriend knew how much you could get for your collection how soon before she is putting real pressure on you to sell it? Or resenting your collection because of how much it means to you.

Back