Collection Intervention on Syfy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this show and I don't think it gives collectors a bad name. This program is about people whose hobby has gone beyond mere collecting and into the realm of unhealthy obsession. These people like the Barbie woman, the GI Joe guy and this past week the Comic book guy and Transformers kid has a collection so large that it has taken over their homes and caused their wives real distress to the point that they needed professional help. If you watch this show and say "this person doesn't have a problem" it makes me wonder how long before we see you on Collection Intervention.

I agree, I wouldn't watch this show with a person who doesn't understand the difference between a really cool collection and an unhealthy obsession. Plus, if your wife or girlfriend knew how much you could get for your collection how soon before she is putting real pressure on you to sell it? Or resenting your collection because of how much it means to you.

but it doesnt matter that they went on the show,
nothing has changed, some of the deals on the show are even fake, so they're not even selling the toys and comics for real,

it is all smoke and screens,

One thing I don't agree with is the selling technique on the show through the woman hosting it, she goes straight for the grails which is usually just one high dollar item. Why not sell all that clutter junk that takes up the most amount of room?

It seems that's the usual case in this show.

Like why push that botcon transformer whenever he clearly has some modern day TF's which are not as rare and perhaps fill up more of his condo?

Ski

Sent from my SkiPCS8100 using Skiatalk

but it doesnt matter that they went on the show,
nothing has changed, some of the deals on the show are even fake, so they're not even selling the toys and comics for real,

it is all smoke and screens,

Are yo saying reality shows, to a degree, are staged? I am shocked and appalled! :lol

One thing I don't agree with is the selling technique on the show through the woman hosting it, she goes straight for the grails which is usually just one high dollar item. Why not sell all that clutter junk that takes up the most amount of room?

It seems that's the usual case in this show.

Like why push that botcon transformer whenever he clearly has some modern day TF's which are not as rare and perhaps fill up more of his condo?

Ski

I am going to say it is quite the opposite. Yes she pushed for him to sell his Convention Breakdown figure but it was because, and rightfully so, it didn't fit with his awesome G1 collection which she specifically said she wasn't going to touch. She also pushed for him to sell the clutter so he could make money and not have his parents pay his rent.

In the case of the Comic book guy she pushed for him to sell his worthless comics so he could get more valuable Golden or Silver Age comics.

With the Barbie woman, as with the G.I.Joe Guy she pushed to sell less valuable figures so the more valuable ones could be displayed. More importantly she pushed for the Barbie woman to sell less valuable ones so she could buy a Barbie #1.

In just about all of the 3 episodes she has pushed getting rid of the less valuable clutter to make space for or buy more valuable collectibles. Sounds like good advice to me.

She tends to tell these people to keep the valuable stuff. Ski, are you sure you watched the show? :dunno

Are yo saying reality shows, to a degree, are staged? I am shocked and appalled! :lol

I am going to say it is quite the opposite. Yes she pushed for him to sell his Convention Breakdown figure but it was because, and rightfully so, it didn't fit with his awesome G1 collection which she specifically said she wasn't going to touch. She also pushed for him to sell the clutter so he could make money and not have his parents pay his rent.

In the case of the Comic book guy she pushed for him to sell his worthless comics so he could get more valuable Golden or Silver Age comics.

With the Barbie woman, as with the G.I.Joe Guy she pushed to sell less valuable figures so the more valuable ones could be displayed. More importantly she pushed for the Barbie woman to sell less valuable ones so she could buy a Barbie #1.

In just about all of the 3 episodes she has pushed getting rid of the less valuable clutter to make space for or buy more valuable collectibles. Sounds like good advice to me.

She tends to tell these people to keep the valuable stuff. Ski, are you sure you watched the show? :dunno

I guess I'm looking at the SW and TF episode more.

I agree with the comic guy but wasnt really counting that towards the grail statement.

Ski

I guess I'm looking at the SW and TF episode more.

I agree with the comic guy but wasnt really counting that towards the grail statement.

Ski

I know a lot of us collectors are a little defensive when it comes to this show and I understand why; none of us want to have our collections judged let alone have some pretty blonde from Long Island try to convince us to sell it. But that isn't what this show is about, well at least in my opinion. This show is about the line being crossed between hobby and obsession. Do you have a hobby or an obsession that is slowly ruining you or your loved ones lives?

The people on Collection Intervention need help. Look at the wives of the GI Joe guy and the Comic book guy. They both almost started crying and with good cause. The Comic book guy had 120 long boxes and from what we saw it was all junk. Nothing really valuable and he became very emotional when presented with the idea of selling some of his comics. The GI Joe guy didn't like people even coming to his home to look at his collection let alone touch them. He was like Gollum with the Ring hidden away in a cave under a mountain. Elyse told him if this is your retirement she understands the investment but he wasn't keeping them in good shape. But he couldn't really keep them in good shape because of all of the clutter. Once he was able to get rid of the clutter he put the older more valuable figures in display cases and it looked really nice. His house was clean and his wife was happy.

With the Transformers kid Elyse told him she didn't want to touch his G1 collection but pushed selling Breadown because he didn't fit with his G1 collection and she was right.

I think, as a collector, this show is a form of a cautionary tale for collectors. Enjoy your collection but don't let it get out of hand. I was like these people 5 years ago and have been selling off my collection piece by piece ever since. Not the stuff I love, just the junk I don't really care about or collect anymore. I think a show like Collection Intervention should be watched by all serious collectors. It'll put the fear of God in you about your collection.

Last edited:
Yea I won't argue there, it is a proceed with caution, and a lot of those guys are over the top no doubt.

I'm no where near this level as I have key pieces whether they relate to each or not, that's my contradiction with selling grails versus the clutter.

If she's pushing the clutter I think that's better thing to do but keep the rarer items or items that mean a lot to the collectors. "IMO", that's what I would do if others see different then that's a different collecting style and I'll agree to disagree, that's pretty much it, no one is right or wrong.

Key pieces is my argument. These other issues are on another subject and something that needs help and attending to, not part of my argument.

Ski

Yea I won't argue there, it is a proceed with caution, and a lot of those guys are over the top no doubt.

I'm no where near this level as I have key pieces whether they relate to each or not, that's my contradiction with selling grails versus the clutter.

If she's pushing the clutter I think that's better thing to do but keep the rarer items or items that mean a lot to the collectors. "IMO", that's what I would do if others see different then that's a different collecting style and I'll agree to disagree, that's pretty much it, no one is right or wrong.

Key pieces is my argument. These other issues are on another subject and something that needs help and attending to, not part of my argument.

Ski

Oh, please don't misunderstand me. I just disagree with you on your point that she was pushing to get rid of the grails in these people's collection. All my other preachy stuff is just in regards to a lot of collectors trepidations towards the show not specifically you, Ski my friend.

There are a lot of collectors who just flat out hate this show or just plain refuse to watch because they don't like a show about people being told to sell their collections.

If this show gets to the point where Elyse is telling people to sell their grails that's when I'll stop watching.

Now Toy Hunters is a different can of worms. One word: Dark seed.

Oh, please don't misunderstand me. I just disagree with you on your point that she was pushing to get rid of the grails in these people's collection. All my other preachy stuff is just in regards to a lot of collectors trepidations towards the show not specifically you, Ski my friend.

There are a lot of collectors who just flat out hate this show or just plain refuse to watch because they don't like a show about people being told to sell their collections.

If this show gets to the point where Elyse is telling people to sell their grails that's when I'll stop watching.

Now Toy Hunters is a different can of worms. One word: Dark seed.

:lol well maybe she isn't pushing the grails as much as I thought... I still have to watch the GI Joe and Barbie episodes.

I love the show as well, pretty cool to see the collections and mindset of other collectors.

I haven't watched Toy Hunter yet but I set my DVR to record future shows after watching these.

Ski

:lol well maybe she isn't pushing the grails as much as I thought... I still have to watch the GI Joe and Barbie episodes.

I love the show as well, pretty cool to see the collections and mindset of other collectors.

I haven't watched Toy Hunter yet but I set my DVR to record future shows after watching these.

Ski

:nono You're right. In the GI Joe episode she tried to push the grails. First thing she tried to push from that dude were vintage Hot Wheels cars worth a fortune. The Transformers dude, she got him to sell a rare BotCon piece worth $1200. Not G1, but still a grail. She does push grails.

Just saw a tweet saying that Sean Long is going to be on this tomorrow night. Thats pretty cool, idk if he has an account here but i have followed his reviews on youtube for some time.

Mabey in the future well see a sideshow freak on there

Just saw a tweet saying that Sean Long is going to be on this tomorrow night. Thats pretty cool, idk if he has an account here but i have followed his reviews on youtube for some time.

Mabey in the future well see a sideshow freak on there

Yeah, Pixel Dan mentioned that Sean Long would be on the show which is interesting. So far the 6 people they had on the show looked like they all had issues. It would be something to see someone who reviews toys on the show and what Elyse is going to say to them.

I personally don't want to see any Freaks on this show. They portray their collections as slowly ruining their home lives. I'd hate to see a fellow Freak in that situation.

Is Sean a member here? Some of the detolf displays look familiar.

He's got some nice stuff but the place is out of control :lol. This is good to watch with the wife as she can confirm I'm not that bad and at least keep the collection well displayed.

My gf is happy that my collection didn't turn into something like Sean's since it easily could have if I hadnt turned back from that path in 2008. I feel for him though.

It looks like the show should be called 'wives with control issues' from what I've seen so far.

I felt a bit sorry for that guy giving away part of his immaculately archived comic collection for HULK 181. :slap:lol

It looks like the show should be called 'wives with control issues' from what I've seen so far.

I felt a bit sorry for that guy giving away part of his immaculately archived comic collection for HULK 181. :slap:lol

Staged. Look at the follow-up comments on the website. Dude never made the trade. :nono

That is so lazy... Sucks that there is like zero integrity with these crappy shows.

The problem lies in the concept of the show believing that money can make all the difference in the life of these collectors. Given most of us have large portions of our beloved collections that are worth far less than what we paid goes against the show's concept. So having a pretty broad trying to bait these guys with cash for their grails is a failed concept. While Elyse may find selling her own collectibles for money an enticing concept, most of us just aren't that shallow.

Back