Collectible Star Wars Costumes Coming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Shalamar,

You seem to be big into the costuming - what do you think about Shepperton Design Studios?

https://www.sdsprops.com/

Im been debating picking up some armor from them...

Oh, boy. You just opened up perhaps the biggest can of worms in all of Star Wars prop replica collecting/costuming.

Too long and complex to explain. Here's some reading for a start:

LFL vs SDS

SDS Court Case

The original sculptor of the Stormtrooper

SDS now taking orders on TIE Pilot armor

LFL vs SDS News Article FYI

AA Summation for Newbies?

(Note: Whenever you see "AA" it is referring to Andrew Ainsworth, owner of SDS - Shepperton Design Studios)

Last edited:
Oh, it never ends...

My take: Ainsworth's a snake. But everyone has a (strong) opinion on this issue. :monkey1

Care to elaborate? You dont think these are the original moulds (as least the stunt mould and Tie Fighter) or is he just overcharging? or is it the fight with LFL? (Dont mean to open the bag too much - but I haven't formed that strong opinion yet and Im interested :lol)

Here's my take in a nutshell:

* AA did make the original Stormtrooper helmets (including the moulds) on the ANH production from the design by John Mollo.

* AA may have some original materials, but LFL kept the moulds and the masters. Add LFL still has them.

* Even if he did own the complete original moulds (which I doubt) AA still has no intellectual property rights to their use and especially sale of them.

* AA didn't sculpt the original full armor of the stormtroopers, but may have contributed man-hours in helping to pull the suits. However, that didn't stop him from selling the armour suits as well a year or so back, including elements that were clearly recast off the work of others.

* I think AA used his status as a sculptor and someone who worked on the original helmets and armor and blew it out of proportion to gain more sales of his Stormtrooper helmets from "the original maker".

* Regardless of where you stand, the $850+ asking price for his Stormtrooper helmet is insanely over-priced.

* Further casting doubt on AA's intergrity, he also offered the TIE Pilot helmets for sale... using the Imperial insignia which he 100% never had anything to do with and has no rights to whatsoever. Also, he completely stole Master Replicas' design for his helmet stands.

* The LFL lawsuit is pretty iron-clad. AA has used legal loopholes (including the fact that he's in the UK) to stall and delay things repeatedly. If he's innocent and had any kind of case, things would have been resolved years ago.

Like I said, in a nutshell. :lol

Here's my take in a nutshell:
* AA may have some original materials, but LFL kept the moulds and the masters. Add LFL still has them.

Do you have a link to LFL saying this? Because Im pretty sure I read an interview with Ainsworth saying he kept the moulds... hmmm....

Yeah here it is...

"While at Shepperton Studios I meticulously kept all moulds on racks in an organised manner and all with protective skins moulded and left on them until further use. We used to sell the same props, or derivatives of, several times over, as new production companies came and went. This was standard practice at all studios and in fact the `prop stores` are without a doubt the most fascinating insight into movie history. The word `prop` means property. The items we retained from film productions were our property and it was our business to reinvent them or sell them again for the production of lesser movies or maybe ads. I remember one quite splendid helmet that I created for `Outland`, it not only appeared in another four movies but ended up as the main feature in a British Airways advert.

After finishing with the film business and requiring valuable space, I decided one day in the early eighties to have a clear out. Out went the Stormtrooper armour moulds, but I kept the protective skins for reference, and I also kept the moulds for the helmets, as they were better made , in pretty good condition and possibly one day may have a use."

So how tall are you in the Vader costume? Got any pics that you could share?

Sure. In Costume, I'm around 6'9" - 6'10" Hard to say.

vadertroops1.jpg

This was taken after a 2 hour troop in a mall for a book signing. Gah. I really need new gloves.

That's one thing that bugs me about the costumers, especially when you see two troopers flanking a Vader, the two troopers should at least be the same height as each other, it just looks weird having different height troopers, especially when the height difference is very noticeable like the picture above, your Vader costume looks great though :)

Oh, I would love to see a full scale ROTS Emperor Palpatine in red senate outfit, but any way, I would never change my self-made costume...

Foto_026bis.jpg

It's just so valuable for me. :rolleyes:

Do you have a link to LFL saying this? Because Im pretty sure I read an interview with Ainsworth saying he kept the moulds... hmmm....

It's explicitly stated in the original LFL lawsuit (I don't have a link handy, but there are PDFs out there somewhere) that part of their claim is that Ainsworth is lying, because LFL possesses the original moulds in their Archives.

It's explicitly stated in the original LFL lawsuit (I don't have a link handy, but there are PDFs out there somewhere) that part of their claim is that Ainsworth is lying, because LFL possesses the original moulds in their Archives.

Thanks Irish, Ill check it out. Certainly somebody's up to no good! :rolleyes:

This is awesome news... especially since their showroom is just south of town and they give you a 10-15% discount if you purchase stuff there.

:rock :rock :rock

Holy crap is that true? Finally one good reason for moving down here ;-)

Maulfan, It looks like our wish has come true, by what they say on the production blog It seems Sideshow will collaborate with Museum Replica to produce Lifesize characters (and I would say armored 1:1 busts are on the way too). Here is what it says:

"Some collaboration in life-size character representations may even be on the horizon with the creative influence of the Sideshow Collectibles Design and Development Team. Sideshow Creative Director Tom Gilliland was pleased to hear of this new opportunity, stating, “It was nice to read the good news of the Museum Replicas license, and I look forward to working with them to bring not only their core product of outstanding full-scale costume replicas to collectors, but also the items that result from the combination of our talents in the potential life-size character arena. A good team-effort is invaluable, and our combined creative efforts should produce some great pieces.” Looks like some long-awaited high-end Star Wars costumes are on the way, so keep an eye out for these highly-anticipated releases!"

Maulfan, It looks like our wish has come true, by what they say on the production blog It seems Sideshow will collaborate with Museum Replica to produce Lifesize characters (and I would say armored 1:1 busts are on the way too). Here is what it says:

"Some collaboration in life-size character representations may even be on the horizon with the creative influence of the Sideshow Collectibles Design and Development Team. Sideshow Creative Director Tom Gilliland was pleased to hear of this new opportunity, stating, “It was nice to read the good news of the Museum Replicas license, and I look forward to working with them to bring not only their core product of outstanding full-scale costume replicas to collectors, but also the items that result from the combination of our talents in the potential life-size character arena. A good team-effort is invaluable, and our combined creative efforts should produce some great pieces.” Looks like some long-awaited high-end Star Wars costumes are on the way, so keep an eye out for these highly-anticipated releases!"
You're on the right track. ;)

Full 1:1 would be cool, but given the price they'd be, I'll likely never own one unless some beloved character was done in such a way I couldn't resist.

Full 1:1 would be cool, but given the price they'd be, I'll likely never own one unless some beloved character was done in such a way I couldn't resist.

These should make the costumes at future cons pretty real.

Back