Cigs!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep your chin up, we are all pulling for you. After meals, waking up, and drive time were the worst for me. Keep coming here and feel free to just biatch if you need to!

Just checking in. It is 10:49pm. I kinda want one but don't have one. LOL! Nor will I go get one. I would really like to thank Dave for keeping this thread alive. Just allowing me to talk to you guys has helped so much. I will let you know what is going on. This will be day 3. I know it seems small but it is a big step for me. Thanks guys!

Pretty close Vader. I cut my cigs in half on Monday at 11:30. I immediatley posted right after that (I knew I would need some support.). So tonight at 11:30 will be 72 hours. As for the update. I think the Chantix stuff is working well. I feel sick when I take it in the morning still but only for about an hour. I would rather feel sick in the morning for 1 hour than go through what my father did. I am confident that this is working. I will post later on in the afternoon and let you guys know how I am doing.

Some health benefits from quitting cigarettes.

Within 20 Minutes: Your blood pressure and pulse rate drop to normal, and the body temperature of your hands and feet increases to normal.

Within 8 Hours: The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal, and the oxygen level in your blood increases to normal.

Within 24 Hours: Your chances of having a heart attack already decreases.

Within 48 Hours: Your nerve endings start to grow, and your senses of smell and taste are increased.

Within 78 Hours: Your bronchial tubes begin to relax and you can breath easier. Your lung capacity also increases which means that you can do more physical activities easier.

Within 2 Weeks to 3 Months: Your circulation improves, walking becomes easier, and your lung function increases up to 30 percent.

Within 1 Month to 9 Months: Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath continue to decrease and your overall level of energy increases. The cilia regrow in your lungs, thus increasing your ability to handle mucus, to clean out your lungs, and to reduce infection.

Thanks! This afternoon is going great! I just keep busy at work and occasionally check in with the FREAKS. So far so good. Nothing to report this afternoon except everything is going well. My first goal is still tonight at 11:32. Then it will be making it to the end of Saturday. The longest I have ever quit on my own was 4 1/2 days. I quit for 3 months but that wasn't choice it's because I was in boot camp. Not much time to think about cigs when you have 3 large men yelling in your ear. Thanks guys!

Good luck.

I quit for the most part...only smoke when I drink/party now. So maybe a pack every weekend or every other weekend.

Now not smoking then will be VERY tough.

Gruson you have no idea. Some people say to avoid alcohol at all costs while trying to quit. I have not. I want to be able to drink and not want a cigarette. So I figure if I have a few drinks now and resist it just may work. It's not easy. I am doing ok though. 2 more hours 9 minutes and I have reached my first goal. The 72 hour mark!

Ok less than 1 hour away. I am starting to realize why I want to quit the most. My whole life people expected me to fail. Even my own parents who smoked. They were always like why can't you get grades like your cousin (mind you he is a pot head now and has a shoddy job). Or why can't you be more like your sister. She is nuts and thats all I will say about her. I would always sit in my room play games and read books. I never really cared about school or making friends. Then I turned 14 and got a job. How fun! I was working with people in their 20's. LOL! Then thats when I started to smoke. I would steal their cigs and hide in the bathroom. You know just to try it. That dizzy sensation was wonderful as a kid. Then I guess from there it just stuck. Anyways I have serious parental issues as you can probably tell from the above comments. My parents were always like that with me so of course I wanted to rebel. Hell I even Joined the Marines because at the time my father was a Major in the Army and told me not too. Then the ultimate kick in the ass happened recently. My father met a women in like 2002 and started to ignore me and my sister. He wouldn't pay for college but the fact that I had a job at Best Buy made him mad. So we lived our lives for a while and on May 6th, 2006 finally tied the knot. My father and grandparents were their to support me. However what happened here is the worst thing in the world and I would not put this on anyone. Me and my wife (Cass) arrived home from our honeymoon. I got a call that my father was in the hospital (from his new wife). She said not to worry. Well it was bad. I won't go into details but it ended bad. He died in July. He also must have hated me. Again he was in the military and had like at least a $10000.00 life insurance policy. I don't care about that. I care about what my grandparents said. They said he had in his will not to give us anything. Nothing. My belief is that he hated his wife so bad even to think of us reminded him of her. So he left me nothing. I made sure to get his weapons though. His hill billy wife had no idea she had a loaded 45 in the room as well as an m16. So I politely cleared them and took them. He always promised they would be mine anyway. Moral of the story....Hmm I'm not sure. I just wish my dad lived long enough to hash this out. Too me though quitting is the best thing I can do to prove him wrong. Unfortunatley 6 months after he passed I got my big break. I am in the marketing department for a fortune 500 company. He looked at me like I was a failure for never going to school yet he would not help. I couldn't afford it so I worked hard. I interviewed for this job several times. I finally got it and don't want to lose it. So I guess this is a reason to quit this nasty habit. I never want to repeat the mistakes of others. I really ranted tonight but it felt good. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing that story BadMoon...and if it gives you a reason to quit smoking for good then all the better!!! The desire to prove that you are person of value and worth can be a mighty thing in deed. If it's any consolation, I think you turned you out well - even if you are anti-Kurgan! :lol :lol

I really hope that you stick with this!! Not only to prove your dad wrong but for your health and so you can enjoy a nice long life with your wife. :) Your postings have also been helpful to me...I quit smoking again a few weeks ago and find myself being tempted to sneak a smoke atleast once a day....but I look at you and if you can do it - so can I!! :) Cheers to you!!

I'm a little late here, but better late then never, right? Badmoon, I wish you the best of luck with quitting. Sounds lke you have one of the best reasons to quit. Smoking is something that I have never even tried, nor will I ever try it. I can only imagine what it must be like to quit cold turkey if you've been an addicted smoker for a long time. Keep it up. You can do it. Mind over matter. Remember that.

Stick with it. I quit 1 year, 4 months and 19 days ago using nicotine gum. I smoked a pack a day since I was 15 and quit at 32. I was able to switch the smoking habit to chewing gum. Now I'm working on getting off the nicotine all together. But I figure if I spend another 17 years on the gum, it's better than smoking. You can do it, good luck.

Jen glad I could help! Im on the 4th day. And best of all I have reached my first goal. 72 hours! :fireworks :chew :fireworks

I quit 24 years ago with only a couple relapses and haven't touched one for many years now. I find it easier if I focus on the revolting aspects that I see in others like the smell on clothes, the fiendish huddling in bad weather and the dependency.
On another note for Bad Moon, fathers in general have a hard time admitting feelings. I knew my father loved me but it was very rarely said. The day he died we took him to the hospital and I stayed with him in the ER while my brothers got him admitted. He was on a dose of morphine that the doctors swore would have kept him asleep, yet he still managed to get up out of bed and walk 10 feet into the bathroom before he fell. He was lying there on the hospital bed with his eyes closed and I realized this would be my last opportunity to tell him anything I wanted to. I remember wishing that he could hear me, yet he wasn't responding. Just then a girl that had overdosed was brought in and began screaming at the top of her lungs for everyone to get the 'F' off of her. Just then my dads eyes opened and he looked in her direction as if to say "Do you mind? I'm trying to die over here.." At that point I knew he had heard everything I said. It was just that he wanted to maintain that dignity when he died. Emotions aren't exclusive and we often experience several at once so just because he was so angry doesn't mean he didn't care. Somethimes its just hard to show. Regardless, like they say, living well is the best revenge. Good luck.

Anzik Hayes said:
I quit 24 years ago with only a couple relapses and haven't touched one for many years now. I find it easier if I focus on the revolting aspects that I see in others like the smell on clothes, the fiendish huddling in bad weather and the dependency.
On another note for Bad Moon, fathers in general have a hard time admitting feelings. I knew my father loved me but it was very rarely said. The day he died we took him to the hospital and I stayed with him in the ER while my brothers got him admitted. He was on a dose of morphine that the doctors swore would have kept him asleep, yet he still managed to get up out of bed and walk 10 feet into the bathroom before he fell. He was lying there on the hospital bed with his eyes closed and I realized this would be my last opportunity to tell him anything I wanted to. I remember wishing that he could hear me, yet he wasn't responding. Just then a girl that had overdosed was brought in and began screaming at the top of her lungs for everyone to get the 'F' off of her. Just then my dads eyes opened and he looked in her direction as if to say "Do you mind? I'm trying to die over here.." At that point I knew he had heard everything I said. It was just that he wanted to maintain that dignity when he died. Emotions aren't exclusive and we often experience several at once so just because he was so angry doesn't mean he didn't care. Somethimes its just hard to show. Regardless, like they say, living well is the best revenge. Good luck.

I'm sorry to hear that. Yes I don't wish that on anyone. It is sad to hear that others have had the same type of experiences. I know that you are right though. My dad was a military man. He thought of himself as tough. So to him feeling were a problem. I consider myself to be tough too and I find I can hide my feelings. The only thing I vow is to never treat my children that way. Ever! Thanks for sharing.

Ok now for and update. In a little over an hour from now at 11:32pm est I will be smoke free for 4 days. Today was fine. I noticed I can smell cigarette smoke now. I never knew it smelled so bad. We all went to lunch together at work. I drive a new Ford Explorer. One of the girls I work with still smokes. She asked if she could smoke in my SUV. I told her no problem as long as she smoked in the back seat and hung it out the window. Big mistake. Do you guys remember the Rescue Rangers cartoon? I felt like the one character Monty. He would be able to smell cheese from miles away. Anyways. LOL! As soon as she lit it I could smell it. I think I even embarassed her a bit. I said Christi that really stinks! LOL! Anyway I still wanted one then. It soon passed. I came home and everything was fine. Then Die Hard with a Vengence came on. Bruce has been a hero of mine since I was a kid. I can remember taking my crayons and pretending they were cigs while acting out Die Hard. LOL! So needless to say I wanted a cigarette. So I stopped watching and came up here to vent. I am drinking beer tonight so that helps too! LOL! Anyways I am sticking to my guns and still vow never to smoke again. As always I will keep you all posted. I plan to celebrate on Tuesday. That will be one whole week!

Back