Chronicle Collectibles - Robocop

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it depends, just because it's a model used for stop motion, doesn't mean it's 1:6 exactly. Hot Toys ed 209 looks to be in scale with their robocop. I got Chronicles Cain the other day and I'm quite surprised how small it is. I don't think tippet intended for these to be 1:6 at all.

Phil actually said Hot Toys isn't doing true 1:6 scale, they are really doing theirs a bit bigger and their Robocop is technically out of proportion.

The 1:1 ED209 is not as big as it appears in the movies, too. Paul talked about it in the other board.

This picture is a good example of it's size :

BTSrobophilbig.jpg

I'm really leaning towards getting the ED, Cain and hopefully Robocop from Chronicle...I don't get much stuff these days since I have my grails and 2 of these are what 5-6 PF's these days. Well worth it IMO and can't get anymore accurate I would say so to me my Robocop collection would be complete....really with just Robo and ED but Cain is such a work of art I'd add him in there too.

I'm really leaning towards getting the ED, Cain and hopefully Robocop from Chronicle...I don't get much stuff these days since I have my grails and 2 of these are what 5-6 PF's these days. Well worth it IMO and can't get anymore accurate I would say so to me my Robocop collection would be complete....really with just Robo and ED but Cain is such a work of art I'd add him in there too.

I'd pick up Cain quickly if I were you, then. Same for ED209, once pics surface (like they're doing now) and considering the reduced ES, he'll be gone quickly imho.

Robocop in that picture looks to be almost as tall as ED209. Not just that but look at how wide he is in comparison to the head on Ed209. These maquettes are not 1:6 scale. When I put robocop next to Cain, the scale is way off. I don't care what CEO Paul says there are undersized and over priced. Don't believe what he is telling you guys. Also he seems quick to jump on other companies and complain about them while bigging his up. Guy has never heard of Modesty. His company has been around for 5 minutes and owning their Cain I think he is a bit quick to think he's the dogs bollocks just yet.

But it's a prop replica:

"It’s from these screen-used stop-motion puppets that Chronicle Collectibles directly produced its licensed RoboCop 2 Cain model. Molded from original masters and one of the original filming puppets, Cain is assembled with a whopping 275 individual parts, with each part individually cast and cleaned for new masters by Tippett Studio. This may be one of the most complex figures ever reproduced for private collectors, and Chronicle Collectibles is proud to be part of its production."

I think people are too easily tricked by camera work in the movie to make ED appear bigger and more intimidating, or are forgetting that in the Chronicle piece the legs are not extended.

ed209-22.jpg

robocop10.jpg

Robocop in that picture looks to be almost as tall as ED209. Not just that but look at how wide he is in comparison to the head on Ed209. These maquettes are not 1:6 scale. When I put robocop next to Cain, the scale is way off. I don't care what CEO Paul says there are undersized and over priced. Don't believe what he is telling you guys. Also he seems quick to jump on other companies and complain about them while bigging his up. Guy has never heard of Modesty. His company has been around for 5 minutes and owning their Cain I think he is a bit quick to think he's the dogs bollocks just yet.

Again, Phil said HT isn't doing true 1:6 scale. I trust the prop maker

Hi All. I think people are confusing proportions - and blaming makers etc.

Chronicles - ED-209 and Cain are based (and cast off) on the actual stock motion puppet. These puppet/s could be any size depending on how larger/small they needed to build them for looking right on camera (and with the types of lens used) when the original movie/s where made. In this case they (Chronicles replicas) are the size (and proportion) the original prop was made (there are many photos floating around with the original item next to Chronicles replica).

(Hypothetically - When the actual movie was made - if they movie makers felt they only needed an ED-209 at the size of a postage stamp to do the stop motion then that is the size they would have built it - and thus Chronicles would have been the same)

Please do not take it out on the makers if you feel Cain and ED-209 are too small or too large against each other - these are the sizes they where actually made by the original prop makers. They were never designed to be in proportion sitting on a collectors shelf - 20 odd years later.

In regards to Robocop itself vs Chronicles - ED-209 and Cain in size - there are various makers of of Robocop - McFarlane, NECA, Enterbay, Hot Toys and PCS (in a few months). Again these where never designed to be in proportion to Chronicles. These 1:6 scale (or the like) are taken from the representation (size) on screen not the actual movie puppet - so yes in that regards Robocop (Hot Toys or the like) is going to be bigger than Chronicles stock motion puppet replicas.

A better proportion comparison would be Hot Toys ED-209 1:6 up against Hot Toys Robocop 1:6 - then you are comparing apples with apples.

The above comment is not to insight a Thread war - it is just to point out why there is a difference in scale.

Hi All. I think people are confusing proportions - and blaming makers etc.

Chronicles - ED-209 and Cain are based (and cast off) on the actual stock motion puppet. These puppet/s could be any size depending on how larger/small they needed to build them for looking right on camera (and with the types of lens used) when the original movie/s where made. In this case they (Chronicles replicas) are the size (and proportion) the original prop was made (there are many photos floating around with the original item next to Chronicles replica).

(Hypothetically - When the actual movie was made - if they movie makers felt they only needed an ED-209 at the size of a postage stamp to do the stop motion then that is the size they would have built it - and thus Chronicles would have been the same)

Please do not take it out on the makers if you feel Cain and ED-209 are too small or too large against each other - these are the sizes they where actually made by the original prop makers. They were never designed to be in proportion sitting on a collectors shelf - 20 odd years later.

In regards to Robocop itself vs Chronicles - ED-209 and Cain in size - there are various makers of of Robocop - McFarlane, NECA, Enterbay, Hot Toys and PCS (in a few months). Again these where never designed to be in proportion to Chronicles. These 1:6 scale (or the like) are taken from the representation (size) on screen not the actual movie puppet - so yes in that regards Robocop (Hot Toys or the like) is going to be bigger than Chronicles stock motion puppet replicas.

A better proportion comparison would be Hot Toys ED-209 1:6 up against Hot Toys Robocop 1:6 - then you are comparing apples with apples.

The above comment is not to insight a Thread war - it is just to point out why there is a difference in scale.

I get that and that is my point. They built puppets in scale to each other. However Paul said that these maquettes are 1:6 scale and he trusts Phil tippets scale judgement over Hot Toys. Basically saying that all other companies are over sized when they aren't. Quite deceptive.

Not sure which point you're trying to make - but Phil's models ARE 1:6 scale to what was effectively used on screen. That's the TRUE 1:6 scale.
Companies like Hot Toys are just going for a ballpark 1:6 scale based on how these models APPEAR on screen due to camera work, not their actual size. Not sure what's so hard to understand. Just look at the movie and you'll see that the perceived size of ED and Cain varies a lot depending on scenes and camera work.
You'll forgive me if I trust Phil Tippet's insight on the matter more than a random guy by Hot Toys.
You seem pretty biased on the argument and I'll go as far as say that Paul is being even too gentle with "other companies" giving that at least one of them is trying to prevent Chronicle from releasing products for which he has a regular license.

My point is that Cain is supposed to be 9 feet tall and the Chronicle version hardly towers over Robocop. Also people are saying that ED209 is not extended, he isn't relaxed either, because the statue is mid walk it means the legs are extended somewhat. Trust me, I have the Cain statue and it does not match a generic 12 inch 1:6 figure. I can't get much clearer than that.

Back