Chewbacca?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about you, but the thought of seeing Chewie doing the Medicom groin thrust makes me ill... :sick

:lol You're right. :yuck

The POTA figures are supposed to be a little more combed out. Hot Toys could very well produce a figure with matted mangled fur like Chewie's, all it takes is some paint, a comb and a little patience. The only reason they can't do it is because the rights aren't there.

I tend to agree.

There's no cause to say it's not there yet. The POTA figures are supposed to be a little more combed out. Hot Toys could very well produce a figure with matted mangled fur like Chewie's, all it takes is some paint, a comb and a little patience. The only reason they can't do it is because the rights aren't there.

I'm still waiting on SSC to make a Han Solo that looks like Ford out of the box.

:lecture:clap:bow

That's just it. I've only ever seen one decent Chewbacca custom and even then the fur was wrong. All the other Chewbacca customs are farrr too thick. Chewie was tall and lanky.

That is my feeling on the subject. I also do not think the fur on the POTA translates easily to the fur on Chewie.

And this "I won't believe they did it with the POTA figures until they deliver them" is silly, too. When was the last time Hot Toys offered an item as a prototype that they couldn't deliver??? Hell, their production items turn out MUCH closer to their protos than either Sideshow's or Medicom's do!

Well, that may be silly to you but you have nothing to back up why its silly. Till they deliver on what they show with the proto in this type of figure I'll have some doubt. How about the POTC figures? Outside of Cannibal Jack the rest of the figures where too dark skin tone human wise. Well, not all maybe but pretty much most of the pictures I saw showed skin tone similar to the ones I had. So there's like 4 figures right there.

No, we don't... yet. But Hot Toys has not given us any reason to doubt them. People are applying the same standards of quality and innovation they're used to from Sideshow, Medicom, Hasbro et al to Hot Toys. I'm saying that we now have enough empirical evidence to prove that they've pulled away from the pack when it comes to 1:6 engineering and production and thus deserve the benefit of any doubt.

Till they show me they can pull it off in production with a figure like this I'll keep some doubt. The other items they've done are amazing! Some of the bets 1:6th figures I've ever seen. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to say they can do it no problem. I think they can and I think they will or can before SS at this point, but the POTA figures are just protos.

And I'm not one to subscribe to the "they can do anything" thought. I gotta see some evidence similar to the attempt first. Iron Man seems like it would be easier to do than Chewie.

Ditto for me as well.

That's just it. I've only ever seen one decent Chewbacca custom and even then the fur was wrong. All the other Chewbacca customs are farrr too thick. Chewie was tall and lanky.

Well, when an individual collector goes to make a custom we are generally limited to fur/hair (fake or real) available at retail.

A company planning on a run of 5000 Chewbaccas should be able to spend part of its development cost making a suitable fake fur (I believe it was yak hair in the films?).

A big LOL at those that don't think HT could pull it off. Look at the stuff they have done with their figures like Robocop and the incredible T800 Endo as well as other items like the Power Loader and Tumbler.

HT at least tries to do stuff instead of putting a skirt on like Sideshow did and says "we can't do it right now".

4 years and Chewbacca is still a pipe dream to Sideshow artists???

I don't think Sideshow is incapable from the artistic side, but from the manufacturing side.

Hot Toys success with mechanical figures and rubber suits (which would be great for figures like Bossk or Admiral Ackbar) is extremely impressive, but does it translate to a furry/hairy figure?

The prototype POTA figures are clearly a huge step towards a Chewbacca (especially in getting the hair to lay right on the face), but they are really attempting something innovative here, so the finished retail product will really say the most.

There's no cause to say it's not there yet. The POTA figures are supposed to be a little more combed out. Hot Toys could very well produce a figure with matted mangled fur like Chewie's, all it takes is some paint, a comb and a little patience.

Maybe that's all it would take, but that leads to my comment about taking over a year in production, because it sounds like a lot of work and long hours to achieve that across a couple thousand figures in a production line.

A big LOL at those that don't think HT could pull it off. Look at the stuff they have done with their figures like Robocop and the incredible T800 Endo as well as other items like the Power Loader and Tumbler.

HT at least tries to do stuff instead of putting a skirt on like Sideshow did and says "we can't do it right now".

:lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture

A big LOL at those that don't think HT could pull it off.

I don't think anyone has said HT can't do it.

I don't think Sideshow is incapable from the artistic side, but from the manufacturing side.

The prototype POTA figures are clearly a huge step towards a Chewbacca (especially in getting the hair to lay right on the face), but they are really attempting something innovative here, so the finished retail product will really say the most.

I agree. I think there is something manufacturing wise holding them up. I wonder if its because HT is from the region and something within that helps them out.

Again, I agree. Its a major step their and shows HT is within shouting distance of saying let us help ya. However, they could end up coming out horrible in production for whatever reason. Despite the fact some think HT can never do wrong they have and are as likely to have it happen as anyone else.

IMO I think SSC, HT, and medicom would not have the problem creating a 1/6 chewbacca figure. The biggest hurdle for them is probably the price. How much do they have to price it in order to recoup the cost of making something like a chewie. In that regard, HT and medicom have a advantage (assuming ht have the SW license or hired by SSC or something) since those 2 generally can get away with charging high price where SSC (who have been play the value for $ card for so long) can not.

I know there are plenty of hard core SW fan would not hesitate to pay more for a chewie, but as price go up, that severly decrease the quantity they can sell. For a one off figure like chewie (new taller body + a fur coat + new manufacture process) it is gonna be a hard thing to mass produce until SSC, HT, or medi can find a more profitable way to make him. And one thing about chewie, he looks pretty much the same thru out all three OT films, so its not like they can create ep4 version, ep5, ep6 and so on to recoup cost.

I dunno, Sideshow's prices have been creeping up there. And as we've seen with some items they're comfortable charging a very high price (Han in Carbonite, Jabba and Throne) when they can justify it.

I dunno, Sideshow's prices have been creeping up there. And as we've seen with some items they're comfortable charging a very high price (Han in Carbonite, Jabba and Throne) when they can justify it.

Exactly. Price is not what is holding SSC up here.

For a one off figure like chewie (new taller body + a fur coat + new manufacture process) it is gonna be a hard thing to mass produce until SSC, HT, or medi can find a more profitable way to make him.

I would think that the recent SS Vader body with a long Chewbacca head could deliver a properly scaled height.

I would think that the recent SS Vader body with a long Chewbacca head could deliver a properly scaled height.

hmm...well, the actors are of different height, David P (vader) is 6.6" and Peter M (chewie) is 7.3". Dont really know what the vader body looks like since SSC has not release any image of it (have they?) so its hard to know if the vader body can be used for chewie. And what do you mean by "long" chewie head?

Vader's body was stated to be the new Armor body with the midsection extended.

Until we get Vader in hand, I'm not sure that body would be lanky looking enough.

An elongated armor body could work but would still be too buff for Chewie. And I'm not saying HT couldn't do it - just nothing they've produced so far is in the same vein. Not even the PotA. So it's a bit presumptuous to assume they wouldn't have the same trepidations about mass producing him as do SSC.

And that's the bottom line right there. I'm not saying HT couldn't do it either...clearly they do produce an impressive array of figures, but Chewie pose a very distinct challenge....how to produce the figure that looks it's absolute best at a manufacturing cost that does not force them to charge $300 or more for the figure. Yes, there are those here who would buy it in that price range without batting an eye, but I think it's safe to say most of us would have to be really impressed to lay out that kind of coin for any figure...and that's a big gamble for any company.

Plus, if any company produces an adequate Chewie figure that ends up in the extreme upper range of consumer cost, I don't think many folks would expect to have to do any more than fix/position the hair/pose like one does the outfits and accessories of any other figure.

An elongated armor body could work but would still be too buff for Chewie. And I'm not saying HT couldn't do it - just nothing they've produced so far is in the same vein. Not even the PotA. So it's a bit presumptuous to assume they wouldn't have the same trepidations about mass producing him as do SSC.

And that's the bottom line right there. I'm not saying HT couldn't do it either...clearly they do produce an impressive array of figures, but Chewie pose a very distinct challenge....how to produce the figure that looks it's absolute best at a manufacturing cost that does not force them to charge $300 or more for the figure. Yes, there are those here who would buy it in that price range without batting an eye, but I think it's safe to say most of us would have to be really impressed to lay out that kind of coin for any figure...and that's a big gamble for any company.

Plus, if any company produces an adequate Chewie figure that ends up in the extreme upper range of consumer cost, I don't think many folks would expect to have to do any more than fix/position the hair/pose like one does the outfits and accessories of any other figure.

:lecture :lecture

Back