Cave Troll PF (Any Interest)?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was only planning to get Gandalf but if a Cave Troll 1:4 comes out, I would have to get it!

just a thought... wouldn't the cave troll pf be at the same scale with the cave troll lsb? we all know that the lsb isn't at 1/2 scale, so maybe it's at 1/4 scale, giving us a glimpse pf how the pf would size up...what do you guys think?

I think the Weta Cave Troll bust is 1/4 scale.

Fritz,

I think you are correct about the scale on that bust. The Legendary Scale Bust seems much larger than 1/4.

Regardless of "fudging" the scale a little bit, this would be an awesome piece in this line. Larger than a regular PF but smaller than a volkswagon...

My friend who is a huge SW fan said that the speederbike was much smaller than 1/4 scale, even if the rider was not. Maybe something along those lines.

A battle troll would make a better mixed media PF. If they make it hollow they can reduce the weight and the price.

Necropost or not, it is good to see the Cave Troll PF idea getting some discussion again. I think that the Cave Troll PF would still be huge, but feasible. He would be a little bit bigger than the Abomination PF from the Marvel line, but his height is less of an issue than his bulk. Given the success of the maquette line, I would think that the Cave Troll would show up in that line at some point rather than a Premium Format, but I would much rather have him in the Premium Format line.

I really don't think people realize just how big a 1:4 scale Troll would be. :dunno

I just realized something.

Why can't we have a Cave Troll PF!?!?

Abomination is 16'8" Tall. A Cave Troll is 12-17' Tall. The Abomination PF was only wearing underwear, so why not a Cave Troll with a loin cloth?

If Sideshow can make an Abomination PF a Cave Troll PF is definitely doable! :lecture :rock

What say you?

:idea :wave

You're assuming the Abomination PF was sculpted based on a height of 16'8", but his height has varied quite a bit over the years and from artist to artist. If that's the height they started from, then that would mean the PF would stand 4'2" if it were standing erect.

The PF stands just a hair under 2', and isn't exactly doubled over; my guess is that they used a smaller starting height when they designed that PF. Probably closer to 12'-14' in height.

Using your data for Trolls, a Cave Troll PF would most likely stand 3'-4'3" erect. Factor in the much wider girth of a Troll versus Abom, and you're looking at a massive chunk of polystone. That'd be a $1,000 piece, easy. And that's before shipping.

More power to you if those stats don't send a shiver down the magnetic strip on your credit card, but it just seems ridiculous to me. Especially when there are still key characters that have yet to receive the PF treatment and they can't even sell out of quality pieces like Gandalf the Grey.

El Skutto,

I agree that there are a lot of hurdles, but I guess my take is to be optimistic and see that Sideshow try to overcome some of them. The Cave Troll is almost a given for the maquette line at this point, and at that scale would fit in much more sensibly from a cost standpoint. I would just love to see this character represented again. He was one of the highlights of the Fellowship for me!

The Abom height/size may be fudged some, but it felt like some of the monster characters in LOTR also had different sizes depending on their moods.

I still can't believe that Gandalf is not totally sold out, as it is one of the best Sideshow items I have ever owned, but I think when some of the Hobbit buzz starts next year, we might have a harder time ordering some of our exclusives!

I think it's a case of striking well after the iron was hot. Interest in LOTR died down considerably after Return of the King, so it would be imprudent of Sideshow to release a "risky" piece like a 1:4 Cave Troll when only the diehards remain. Unless they keep the edition size ridiculously low (like, 100 or less) they'll never sell out.

And the cost associated with creating such a limited number of a complex design like the Cave Troll means that those 100 collectors will be absorbing a big chunk of the research and design costs on the piece. What would have been a $1,000 PF suddenly becomes $1,500 to offset those costs.

I agree that we'll be the ones laughing when the Hobbit comes and rekindles interest in the license, especially with Ian McKellen reprising his role as Gandalf. The Trolls in that movie might also be more likely to be translated into PF format if the movie does well. Fingers crossed...

Acoording to "LOTR: Weapons And Warfare" by Chris Smith, a mountain troll stood between 10 and 15 feet. The sizes that PJ used are usually found in that book. In a comparison drawing I have a pic of, a troll is said to be 8' tall. PJ usually upped the sizes of the monsters though. (Tolkien stated that a Balrog was "twice the height of a man" but PJ's Balrog is more like 20'-25'.)

Based on 10', a 1/4 scale troll would come in at 30" in height (45" if based on 15'!). A 1/6 troll (10') would still be 20" tall!

Done as a PF, we would be looking at a RWOS-like extravaganza! It would be something to see a large piece like that every 12-18 months though.

I think it's a case of striking well after the iron was hot. Interest in LOTR died down considerably after Return of the King, so it would be imprudent of Sideshow to release a "risky" piece like a 1:4 Cave Troll when only the diehards remain. Unless they keep the edition size ridiculously low (like, 100 or less) they'll never sell out.

And the cost associated with creating such a limited number of a complex design like the Cave Troll means that those 100 collectors will be absorbing a big chunk of the research and design costs on the piece. What would have been a $1,000 PF suddenly becomes $1,500 to offset those costs.

I agree that we'll be the ones laughing when the Hobbit comes and rekindles interest in the license, especially with Ian McKellen reprising his role as Gandalf. The Trolls in that movie might also be more likely to be translated into PF format if the movie does well. Fingers crossed...

To me, it feels like we have survived the worst of a downswing, and the resurgance is just on the horizon. I still think a the Cave Troll would be outrageous, but feasible, as Premium Format. The Ringwraith that has been heavily hinted at may be a barometer for bigger creatures in the PF line!

Acoording to "LOTR: Weapons And Warfare" by Chris Smith, a mountain troll stood between 10 and 15 feet. The sizes that PJ used are usually found in that book. In a comparison drawing I have a pic of, a troll is said to be 8' tall. PJ usually upped the sizes of the monsters though. (Tolkien stated that a Balrog was "twice the height of a man" but PJ's Balrog is more like 20'-25'.)

Based on 10', a 1/4 scale troll would come in at 30" in height (45" if based on 15'!). A 1/6 troll (10') would still be 20" tall!

Done as a PF, we would be looking at a RWOS-like extravaganza! It would be something to see a large piece like that every 12-18 months though.

I could give a rat's ass if it's not the exact same height as the one in the movies but I;m sure there would be those who would complain.

Back