Captain Marvel - March 8, 2019

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/feb/26/samuel-l-jackson-adds-to-captain-marvel-pr-nightma/
Actor Samuel L. Jackson’s decision to liken President Trump to a Civil War-era “plantation” owner is not likely to thrill movie producers who are dealing with a public relations nightmare for the upcoming “Captain Marvel” movie.

The man who plays “Nick Fury” for Marvel Studios waded into racial politics on Monday while controversy swirls around “Captain Marvel” lead Brie Larson for comments she made about “white men” and “the patriarchy.”

https://io9.gizmodo.com/brie-larson-believes-carol-and-maria-are-the-great-love-1832908365
During a recent press conference io9 attended, stars Brie Larson and Lashana Lynch reflected on how, even though Carol and Maria’s friendship is forged during their time together in the military, they would have ended up bonding with one another regardless of where they met. That connection, Larson explained, is the emotional core that powers Captain Marvel’s story:

What they’ve gone through together—going through military training, being the only women there, and then using each other to lean on each other for that support and a recognition of their experience is really special. Of course, I think they would have been friends outside of that experience. But I think that’s a really tight-knit bond that they have, and they’re family.

Without being too showboating about it, this is the love of the movie. This is the great love. This is the love lost, this is the love found again, this is the reason to continue fighting and to go to the ends of the Earth for the person that you love. And it’s her best friend and her best friend’s daughter which, to me, is so natural.

I know there were/are folks that were looking forward to CM. And I know some of the comics. But there doesn't seem to be one aspect of this character that isn't a ripoff of other characters:google, and I was already invested in seeing an arc of a ~100 year friendship that started in WW2 - which to me is far more compelling. And IMO Team Cap was poorly handled in IW - unnecessarily so. As was Nat and Bruce, Falcon, etc.:(

Just sorry Feige decided to push this character way too fast. Won't mind if the Russos are doing some fast editing on EG right now.:monkey3
Especially since EG is full of, you know, heroic white guys.:cool:

I will just leave this here....

First Amendment to the United States Constitution
Constitutional Amendment
The First Amendment to the United States Constitution prevents the government from making laws which respect an establishment of religion, prohibit the free exercise of religion, or abridge the freedom of speech, the freedom of the press, the right to peaceably assemble, or the right to petition the government for redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Got my tickets for IMAX Thursday night. Seats are going pretty fast at my theaters of choice.

My theater showing was sold out right when the preorders were available, reserved seating in my city sucks if you don’t get it ahead of time!!!

886540c92f054932a98ce6a279a500c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My theater showing was sold out right when the preorders were available, reserved seating in my city sucks if you don’t get it ahead of time!!!

886540c92f054932a98ce6a279a500c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL Yea.....I waited till last night to prepurchase. I usually end up seeing the Marvel and Star Wars movies twice anyways. Thurs Night showing and Friday with my Art Dept. :)

All those ticket sales are BS....its all a Disney plot, much like RT reviews, to keep the white man down.

Same thing as TLJ, all those ticket sales will be fakes ...

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

As a child of the 80’s i’m really excited to finally see the first cinematic female bad ass in CM.

Aaaaaa Chu...

2lh7.gif

You got the wrong one.. if you are talking 80s then the first was ripley in 1989 Aliens, Sarah Connor didn't reach her ultimate form until the 90's, t2 was released in 1991. Both of them were still damsels in distress in their first movies which were released in 1979 (alien) and 1984 (t1) respectively.

You got the wrong one.. if you are talking 80s then the first was ripley in 1989 Aliens, Sarah Connor didn't reach her ultimate form until the 90's, t2 was released in 1991. Both of them were still damsels in distress in their first movies which were released in 1979 (alien) and 1984 (t1) respectively.

Aliens was 1986 but anyway you raise an interesting topic. Was Ripley a damsel in distress in Alien and Sarah Connor a DID in The Terminator....

I think there were more damsel-like factors and attributes to 1984 Sarah Connor than to 1979 Ripley. Sarah Connor had to be rescued and protected by a man throughout most of the film. She also unknowingly allowed the Terminator to find them at the motel by calling her mother who, turns out, had been killed and was being imitated by the Terminator. Further to that it is Reese who causes the key damage to the T-800, namely causing it to lose its entire human camouflage in the truck inferno and then blowing it in half with a pipe bomb. Sarah is only then able to finish it off after Reese is killed, albeit by having the awareness to use the compressor machine.

1979 Ripley had much more agency in her own survival. She was terrified but that was only realistic. John McClane was scared for his life in the first Die Hard and you believed in the character and were invested in his situation because of that. In Alien the more characters that died the more Ripley stepped up. Even when maximum fear and panic sets in when she realizes she's completely alone she doesn't just shrink into a corner and wait for the inevitable - she keeps going back for the cat and executes her escape plan. Meanwhile the Alien is still fully armed and operational, it hasn't been conveniently handicapped through the actions of some other character. It escapes on the shuttle unbeknownst to Ripley and she then has to quickly figure out how to deal with it.

And 1986 Aliens is in fact the very same Ripley - there was a big time lapse but she was unconscious for all of it - and it's not like she downloaded kung fu or expert lightsaber skills in her sleep. So the character she is in Aliens is the same character she was in Alien, just...we're spending more time with her and learning more about her. She maybe has a little more confidence about dealing with the Alien second time out though - the M41A Pulse Rifle with over and under 30mm pump action grenade launcher helping somewhat.

Yeah Ripley wasn't remotely a damsel in distress in ALIEN. A DID is like Snow White or Sleeping Beauty or the trapped girlfriend in Cloverfield that the group spent the whole movie trying to rescue. Ripley? Not even close.

I'd agree that Sarah was though for 98% of the first Terminator. Even her victory with the hydraulic press was more blind luck than anything else. She was on her way to becoming a self-sufficient hero throughout the film but didn't truly become that until her drive in the jeep at the end IMO.

I would argue that Sarah pregnant alone in the desert at the end of T1 makes her no longer a DID before the credits roled.

Pregnant!

Alone!

In Charge!

Bad ass!

Last edited:
Back