Captain Marvel - March 8, 2019

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah found it, Mr Toys Barbarian

mt-2018-02p7__13849.1540411780.1280.1280.jpg

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Aliens was 1986 but anyway you raise an interesting topic. Was Ripley a damsel in distress in Alien and Sarah Connor a DID in The Terminator....

I think there were more damsel-like factors and attributes to 1984 Sarah Connor than to 1979 Ripley. Sarah Connor had to be rescued and protected by a man throughout most of the film. She also unknowingly allowed the Terminator to find them at the motel by calling her mother who, turns out, had been killed and was being imitated by the Terminator. Further to that it is Reese who causes the key damage to the T-800, namely causing it to lose its entire human camouflage in the truck inferno and then blowing it in half with a pipe bomb. Sarah is only then able to finish it off after Reese is killed, albeit by having the awareness to use the compressor machine.

1979 Ripley had much more agency in her own survival. She was terrified but that was only realistic. John McClane was scared for his life in the first Die Hard and you believed in the character and were invested in his situation because of that. In Alien the more characters that died the more Ripley stepped up. Even when maximum fear and panic sets in when she realizes she's completely alone she doesn't just shrink into a corner and wait for the inevitable - she keeps going back for the cat and executes her escape plan. Meanwhile the Alien is still fully armed and operational, it hasn't been conveniently handicapped through the actions of some other character. It escapes on the shuttle unbeknownst to Ripley and she then has to quickly figure out how to deal with it.

And 1986 Aliens is in fact the very same Ripley - there was a big time lapse but she was unconscious for all of it - and it's not like she downloaded kung fu or expert lightsaber skills in her sleep. So the character she is in Aliens is the same character she was in Alien, just...we're spending more time with her and learning more about her. She maybe has a little more confidence about dealing with the Alien second time out though - the M41A Pulse Rifle with over and under 30mm pump action grenade launcher helping somewhat.

Yep yep yep…

Personally I prefer DID Sarah Conner over Bad Ass Sarah Conner.

Ellen Ripley rules them all.

Valeria was a great character... She kicked major ass in that film.

Ah found it, Mr Toys Barbarian

mt-2018-02p7__13849.1540411780.1280.1280.jpg

That looks expensive lol

You mean besides the initial reboot with Momoa?

I walked out of that abysmal movie not even good enough to be camel poop from the original.

Real shame the financiers backed out of the Arnold King Conan movie but I get it his career is dead.

Last edited:
Yep I rented the Mamoa Conan and the first third was so awful that I just skipped ahead to the ending. The ending was just as stupid so I ended up being glad that I didn't waste my time watching the whole thing. Kind of felt like an R-rated Kevin Sorbo Hercules movie.

That looks expensive lol

I walked out of that abysmal movie not even good enough to be camel poop from the original.

Real shame the financiers backed out of the Arnold King Conan movie but I get it his career is dead.

Its not....whole set is like 79.99? Add a Phicen body for 50 bucks.....

Then the Kaustic Plastic one, thats about 150.
a60a79d1a5026353ff08ac7bd1f6daae.jpg

I’m only a 1/10 - 1/12 collector now BUT a 1/6 War Paint Conan would be impossible to pass up.

But I would love for McFarlane to get that license.

I attended a CTB screening where Randy from NECA was sitting right next to me and he had the 2 up prototype of their WP Conan with him!

It looked great.

Aliens was 1986 but anyway you raise an interesting topic. Was Ripley a damsel in distress in Alien and Sarah Connor a DID in The Terminator....

I think there were more damsel-like factors and attributes to 1984 Sarah Connor than to 1979 Ripley. Sarah Connor had to be rescued and protected by a man throughout most of the film. She also unknowingly allowed the Terminator to find them at the motel by calling her mother who, turns out, had been killed and was being imitated by the Terminator. Further to that it is Reese who causes the key damage to the T-800, namely causing it to lose its entire human camouflage in the truck inferno and then blowing it in half with a pipe bomb. Sarah is only then able to finish it off after Reese is killed, albeit by having the awareness to use the compressor machine.

1979 Ripley had much more agency in her own survival. She was terrified but that was only realistic. John McClane was scared for his life in the first Die Hard and you believed in the character and were invested in his situation because of that. In Alien the more characters that died the more Ripley stepped up. Even when maximum fear and panic sets in when she realizes she's completely alone she doesn't just shrink into a corner and wait for the inevitable - she keeps going back for the cat and executes her escape plan. Meanwhile the Alien is still fully armed and operational, it hasn't been conveniently handicapped through the actions of some other character. It escapes on the shuttle unbeknownst to Ripley and she then has to quickly figure out how to deal with it.

And 1986 Aliens is in fact the very same Ripley - there was a big time lapse but she was unconscious for all of it - and it's not like she downloaded kung fu or expert lightsaber skills in her sleep. So the character she is in Aliens is the same character she was in Alien, just...we're spending more time with her and learning more about her. She maybe has a little more confidence about dealing with the Alien second time out though - the M41A Pulse Rifle with over and under 30mm pump action grenade launcher helping somewhat.

And just think Michael Biehn was on screen with both of them. Ripley and Conner are both bad ass in that they don't stop fighting for what they care about. I always liked them and never really thought about their gender. Today is different and I feel if a character is written and acted well then it doesn't matter a strong character is a strong character. Most people suck today and need validation every 5 seconds and have to be told what to think and like. It's really sad that we have almost become a society of toddlers.

And just think Michael Biehn was on screen with both of them. Ripley and Conner are both bad ass in that they don't stop fighting for what they care about. I always liked them and never really thought about their gender. Today is different and I feel if a character is written and acted well then it doesn't matter a strong character is a strong character. Most people suck today and need validation every 5 seconds and have to be told what to think and like. It's really sad that we have almost become a society of toddlers.

+1

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1093525/captain-marvel-first-reactions-twitter-European-gala-premiere
Captain Marvel has a number of limited screenings before its release. Tonight is the European Premiere, and more critics and lucky fans in attendance are taking to Twitter to voice their reactions. In spite of the baseless backlash from a particular subset of fans, responses have been strong.

What are critics and fans saying about Captain Marvel?
Film critic Hannah Ines Flint wrote: "Just saw Captain Marvel and it is just so ridiculously good.

"The fights, the humour, the soundtrack, the MCU references, the Flerken.

"I cannot wait to watch it again! Believe the hype, people!"

Matt Ferguson, poster designer who has worked with Marvel, wrote: "No word of a lie Captain Marvel is absolutely amazing.

Believe the hype. They’ve raised the bar again."

Portuguese site Dimensao Geek (Geek Dimension) wrote, as translated by Captain Marvel News: “CaptainMarvel is so good.

"An excellent protagonist, important messages of overcoming, female empowerment, and refugees.

"Soundtrack is awesome. Post credits scene give us chills!"

Twitter user Kate wrote: "Captain Marvel is... more than I expected and I could’ve hoped for???

"It’s exactly like her comics, translated into a movie. Carol has HER type of humour, but also her POWER her everything."

Another movie-goer, Nath, wrote: "What an awesome empowering film. And loved Goose! That’s all I’ll say for now. No spoilers!"

Ica Hontiveros-Cheng, a fan in attendance, wrote: "Takes a while for the seat to warm up (Kree culture is weird) but once it gets going, Captain Marvel is a fun and exciting part of the grand Marvel Cinematic Universe puzzle.

"A reverse superhero origin story, it's not as much as how she becomes a Hero but what makes HER a HERO.

"The 90s setting is a big treat, the music, spotting the Easter eggs is one big nostalgic trip, especially for the 90s kids (me)."

"Goose the Cat and a younger Nick Fury are scene stealers."

Always seems to come back the cat:bunnydanc

Seems like some serious overcompensation to me. "Believe the hype" seems to be repeated over and over again. Seems like some serious damage control. Not to mention the heavy handed repetitions of how "empowering" this movie is.

Seems like the plan for this film is to make any criticism socially unacceptable. Its like the more extreme version of what happened with the 2016 Ghostbusters. This film is too empowering and too important to be judged critically. No, anyone that doesn't like it is just a sexist and should be ignored. If you want to fight the patriarchy, go see this movie multiple times and don't think too much about its quality.

I got a vibe that Marvel was into this toxic garbage last year when Black Panther came out. It was a decent movie sure, but was sold as the second coming of The Dark Knight.

Back